Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 hours ago, ManDoon said:

Yes, relying on a dog shit midfield and only using one to protect the back four is inanity. 4-2-3-1 is the only way

I also think this.  But then it did feel like he started 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1.  Then realised the midfield options were so bad and ASM was so allergic to even attempting to cover.  That we went with this 4-3-3, after stumbling upon Joelinton being good in that left centre role.  Winning the ball and releasing it early to ASM, whilst also covering the left back for him.    

I was having a bit of a back and forth with someone on Twitter.  Who seemed to be suggesting our midfield was poor, because they have to protect the back 4 so much.  So they can't push on and be creative.  I think there would be an element of truth in that if they were screening the centre backs and doing a lot of donkey work at the back.  But they're currently fucking invisible and don't influence the game at either end of the pitch, or the middle, funnily enough.  They are utter dogshit and so depressing to watch. 

Not sure we have the personnel for 4-2-3-1 right now.  But I would really like to see it.  As this 4-3-3 seems a good idea in games where we won't see a lot of the ball.  But absolutely toothless the last two games, where the onus was on us to attack.  Wood looked horrendously isolated for most of that game Saturday. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

3 hours ago, arnonel said:

Also dont understand Shelvey in his role. 
He is one of the best passers in the league, but is being used in DM role playing short simple passes.
If he is going to be used in the team, at least use his strengths and try negate the weaknesses

I think he's played deep so he doesn't have to run much. We've seen when he gets caught up the pitch he ends up fouling or pulling players down because he knows there's no way he's catching them. It was the same with Colback. 

7 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I personally would go for a mid 3 of Shelvey/Staff sitting. And willock (yea I know but he can score we’ve seem that) in the ten. 

I'm not against that.  Willock back in a more favourable role might see him contribute, who knows.  We certainly need someone closer to the striker.  

I think I'd even look at Hendrick in the midfield 2 now.  It's that desperate :lol:   I think Shelvey and Longstaff are starting under Howe, regardless.  We need at least one new CM in this window, or we're certainly going down, I reckon.  Even two new CB's wouldn't change my mind. 

18 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I personally would go for a mid 3 of Shelvey/Staff sitting. And willock (yea I know but he can score we’ve seem that) in the ten. 

Yeah, although I think I would play Almiron instead of Willock to be honest. Willock looks like someone who's having real problems to me. Maybe being away from home has affected him, I dunno. 

Longstaff - Shelvey

Fraser - Almiron - ASM

Wood

The midfield isn't great, but if we have two sitters and Miggy's running we really should be harder to play through.

Edit: I've forgotten Joelinton. No idea where he fits in here mind. 

Edited by Smal

Maybe big Jo is a tactical enough player to be able to play as part of a pivot, I dunno. I somehow forgot about him. He's surprised everyone by being able to play as a mid so he probably could. 

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

He might work really well in that almost 10 role, he’s got a very good pass on him, reads the game well 

It’s took 2 1/2 seasons to finally find his best position and you want to move him? 🙂

19 minutes ago, Smal said:

Yeah, although I think I would play Almiron instead of Willock to be honest. Willock looks like someone who's having real problems to me. Maybe being away from home has affected him, I dunno. 

Longstaff - Shelvey

Fraser - Almiron - ASM

Wood

The midfield isn't great, but if we have two sitters and Miggy's running we really should be harder to play through.

Edit: I've forgotten Joelinton. No idea where he fits in here mind. 

You've got Almiron in there, I'd have him nowhere near the team, never mind ahead of Joelinton. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

He’s the third wheel is Jones. Only still in a job because the owners insisted. 

He’ll be gone at the end of the season!

35 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Yep. Spent most of the warmup on Saturday with one foot on a football just chatting. Also noticed Tindall’s hands must be glued inside his pockets.

2-C1-BB4-CF-D999-4435-897-F-380-F18829-F

Keegan transformed that team though. By the end of that season we were playing some good stuff. Lost only two of our last 9 games and had a couple of thumping victories. Converted Michael Owen into a kind of deep lying forward and he was excellent. Utilised Viduka well and was even getting the best out of the likes of Butt and Geremi. 

His second spell here is often painted as a failure, which it absolutely wasnt footballing wise. He kept us up and turned that team around. Won our first game of the next season under him too. 

Sadly, that 07/08 team had some very good players and Eddie Howe certainly isnt Kevin Keegan. 

The performances under Howe have picked up, for sure but that hasnt translated into results. 1 win in 10 given the opposition is desperately poor. We really needed a bounce for him and its becoming clear that its going to take time for him to get us playing the way he wants, if at all. Thats time we dont have and its starting to look like a very poor appointment. 

Just now, Doctor Zaius said:

Keegan transformed that team though. By the end of that season we were playing some good stuff. Lost only two of our last 9 games and had a couple of thumping victories. Converted Michael Owen into a kind of deep lying forward and he was excellent. Utilised Viduka well and was even getting the best out of the likes of Butt and Geremi. 

His second spell here is often painted as a failure, which it absolutely wasnt footballing wise. He kept us up and turned that team around. Won our first game of the next season under him too. 

Sadly, that 07/08 team had some very good players and Eddie Howe certainly isnt Kevin Keegan. 

The performances under Howe have picked up, for sure but that hasnt translated into results. 1 win in 10 given the opposition is desperately poor. We really needed a bounce for him and its becoming clear that its going to take time for him to get us playing the way he wants, if at all. Thats time we dont have and its starting to look like a very poor appointment. 

Interestingly, Keegan changed his preferred formation to get results out of that team, he played Owen in a withdrawn striker role, and IIRC he also moved Barton to the left. Howe doesn't seem interested at all in changing anything, he's playing his way whether the players are capable of it or not. Although tbf, they weren't getting results when they parked the bus with Bruce either. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Zaius said:

His second spell here is often painted as a failure, which it absolutely wasnt footballing wise. He kept us up and turned that team around.  Won our first game of the next season under him too. 

Sorry to nitpick - but believe the first game of the next season was 1-1 draw away at Old Trafford. Won first home game - 1-0 Bolton, Nolan missed a pen for them. (obviously doesnt make difference to your point)

Edited by Inferior Acuña