Transfer rumours

Yorkie

You can coach him to think about team mates more, but his decision whether to hang onto the ball or pass it, is ultimately his own. It’s what separates the best from the rest

Rafa is extremely specific in how he wants everyone to play. Didn't he kick off over a corner being taken differently to how he wanted it to be taken last season?

Yeah set pieces are diff, and where players stand, positioning generally can all be drilled but knowing when to release the ball is really difficult to teach

Agreed. Football intelligence is worth it's weight in gold, especially with wide players or no 10s. A winger who holds onto the ball too long would drive his team mates mental very quickly.

You can coach him to think about team mates more, but his decision whether to hang onto the ball or pass it, is ultimately his own. It’s what separates the best from the rest

Rafa is extremely specific in how he wants everyone to play. Didn't he kick off over a corner being taken differently to how he wanted it to be taken last season?

Yeah set pieces are diff, and where players stand, positioning generally can all be drilled but knowing when to release the ball is really difficult to teach

My point was he could be coached to play a certain way and when to utilize his pace/dribbling. I agree that it can be difficult to teach but it's easier than teaching someone how to run as fast as he can, or being able to naturally go past people endlessly. Coaching him on where to put the ball as opposed to when to play it is different as well. I'm not dismissing footballing intelligence or anything like that but look at how Rafa got the best out of his players.

Don't want to turn my nose up at signings right now but I really hope we find an alternative to Saint-Maximin.

Jean-Philippe Mateta is the one I wanted more than Joelinton, Saint-Maximin.

Proper striker reminds me of Demba Ba.

Joelinton will need time to make the striker role his best position.

NUFC were offered Mateta for £8m last summer...

Yeah, heard about that too. Rafa wasn't keen and wouldn't sign off on it, and MA was pissed off apparently.

:iamatwat:

Did he reject Messi too?

I heard he rejected Zidane at the age of 2.

Allan Saint-Maximin would be a quality addition. More pace and dribbling being introduced to the team would be valuable as it usually is in the premier league, even when the decision making off the back of it isn't the best.

He would create a ton of space and draw defenders in. Wouldnt be surprised if we just leave that derogatory bid on the table and someone else gets him though.

Yes, we already saw the impact Almiron had in this regard.

Joelinton will also adds some of this ability too now, as he can get on the ball and can take players on with it as well.

If we do get Saint-Maximin, the three of them could cause a lot of problems.

He would create a ton of space and draw defenders in. Wouldnt be surprised if we just leave that derogatory bid on the table and someone else gets him though.

Not a problem. We have Atsu for the running about ending up with nowt role.

Allan Saint-Maximin would be a quality addition. More pace and dribbling being introduced to the team would be valuable as it usually is in the premier league, even when the decision making off the back of it isn't the best.

That sounds good in theory, but it can be incredibly frustrating when they can't produce decent end product. Dribbling past two players then putting the cross into the stand would get old pretty quick. As would dribbling past two players then losing the ball trying to dribble past the third. I know nothing about Maximin, but he isn't going to succeed in the Premier unless he is better than the descriptions so far.

Nice only scored 30 goals in Ligue 1 last season?!

They were still a good side despite that, the team is pretty defensive. Balotelli and Plea left last summer with essentially no replacement, and Saint-Maximin had to play upfront for long stretches of the season. ASM is definitely not a striker, imo, he should play on the left.

I like the boy as a player, very entertaining dribbler and physically gifted, but I'm not sure if he will translate to the Premier League and specifically a Steve Bruce side at all, tbh. A big risk for a club that never spends. Everything about his profile makes me think he'll be someone the manager won't fully trust.

Based only a highlights video, but he looks like a player who has to try and do something spectacular every time he gets the ball, rather than release it early. Not a team player, basically.

I would not disagree with you. He's a dribbler above all else. I have seen him lay some good passes and finish chances, but his game is to beat the man in front of him with skill and run into space. The manager can work with him to play more for the team, but it is also important that team understand what sort of player he is and adjusts.

I would interested to watch him and Almiron together. Two players that would scare defenses. There have not been enough of them at Newcastle, recently.

That sounds good in theory, but it can be incredibly frustrating when they can't produce decent end product. Dribbling past two players then putting the cross into the stand would get old pretty quick. As would dribbling past two players then losing the ball trying to dribble past the third. I know nothing about Maximin, but he isn't going to succeed in the Premier unless he is better than the descriptions so far.

What if the ball deflects off a defender and we win a corner? Matt Ritchie is good at corners. Play to our strengths.  :pow:

And listen, the guy advances the ball. I’m all for that.

Joelinton will also adds some of this ability too now, as he can get on the ball and can take players on with it as well.

How would they be on the pitch at the same time though.

His 3-5-2 doesn’t have a front 3 :icon_scratch:

How would they be on the pitch at the same time though.

His 3-5-2 doesn’t have a front 3 :icon_scratch:

3-2-3 with 2 wingbacks ?

Yeah need a manager that plays that though :lol:

Only way I see them being on the pitch at same time is Joelinton & Saint-Maximin up top with Almiron breaking from his 3 in midfield.

No you dont. Hes played 4 at the back before and 5. Maybe he just plays whatever he thinks will get the best from what he has.

Yeah need a manager that plays that though :lol:

Only way I see them being on the pitch at same time is Joelinton & Saint-Maximin up top with Almiron breaking from his 3 in midfield.

He’ll play SM and Almiron as wing backs

fucking plays itself surely? :lol:

-----------------Schar----Lascelles----Lejeune

Yedlin/replacement-----Hayden---Longstaff-----Ritchie/replacement

----Maxim/whoever-----Joel--------Almiron

if he doesn't play that starting this weekend he's a fool and deserves what comes his way

if he doesn't play that starting this weekend he's a fool and deserves what comes his way

Lose every game 4-3. At least we’ll be happy.

Lejeune be available that quickly?

Basically what I assumed the lineup would be when fit as well. :thup:

He’d be stupid to play him unless we somehow have Hayden play as a wing back or something to add further cover. Honestly the best thing for us would be if jonjo would be sold man

There’s no chance he won’t play Shelvey

Lejeune be available that quickly?

Basically what I assumed the lineup would be when fit as well. :thup:

More likely to be 3-5-2 with Shelvey in a 3 man midfield.

Expecting this for Arsenal.

Dubravka

Schar Lascelles Dummett

Yedlin                                      Ritchie

Hayden Shelvey Longstaff

Joelinton  Almiron