Transfer rumours

Yorkie

17 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

What's the crack with Alli like? Last I remember of him he was class but seems to have pulled a Stephen Ireland?

Gives the appearance of a player who either started to believe their own hype, lost interest or simply peaked too early in his career and is on the way down. 

Happens quite a lot...Adriano is a decent example of this

17 minutes ago, STM said:

Alli might be the sort of player who would benefit from a loan, he'd get a massive lift.

It's the sort of no risk deal we should be looking at.

No risk? He could be as effective as Willock is right now for us. 

I liked Alli a few years ago when he was scoring double figures, doing flicks and good runs... there's no guarantee he will hit that form here. 

I'd say it's gamble. He looked a bit fo his old self against Liverpool, but that's first in a long time.

I'd prefer a more consistent player. Also what position is Alli? Second striker? He's not much of a CM.

Alli is a busted flush, we need to stay well clear of him. When you fall that far and that hard you never recover. I hope he sorts out whatever the reason for it is but even if he does there's no way back for him at top flight.

Dele Alli is finished - he’s the sort of terrible signing you see clubs with cash whose status hasn’t caught up with their wealth.  Man City made a few of those. 

And Dubravka being ‘great’ and better than Srnicek et al?  Jesus wept, we’ve never exactly been well-served in the GK dept, but Dubravka isn’t as good as Krul was never mind the others.  He’s comfortably the most error-prone.  Srnicek used to get pelters for the odd bit of mindlessness - the red card at Leicester away in 94 being a prime example.  Dubravka does at least one of those each match.  Anyone who thinks he’d be joining a decent side when he leaves is in a for shock.  Still better than Darlow of course, but that’s a low bar.  

I haven't looked into his plight at all but is there a case for him having simply burned out? He'd played about 300 games for club and country by the time he was 23, including around 60 appearances two seasons running between 2016-18. That obviously includes grueling PL campaigns, cups, a run to the Champions League final as well as going all the way to the World Cup semi-final. He's not the only young player to have had a very intensive start to a career but you couldn't blame a person for such relentless elite sport taking its toll. 

Mad that he's only 25, feels like he's been around for absolutely ages, which he kinda has. 

As an England fan it would be great to see him recapture some form. And I'd definitely take a punt on him assuming we've rigorously vetted his mental state beforehand. 

10 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

Dele Alli is finished - he’s the sort of terrible signing you see clubs with cash whose status hasn’t caught up with their wealth.  Man City made a few of those. 

And Dubravka being ‘great’ and better than Srnicek et al?  Jesus wept, we’ve never exactly been well-served in the GK dept, but Dubravka isn’t as good as Krul was never mind the others.  He’s comfortably the most error-prone.  Srnicek used to get pelters for the odd bit of mindlessness - the red card at Leicester away in 94 being a prime example.  Dubravka does at least one of those each match.  Anyone who thinks he’d be joining a decent side when he leaves is in a for shock.  Still better than Darlow of course, but that’s a low bar.  

The odd bit of mindlessness :lol: Srnicek's a cult hero but let's not pretend he was any good because he wasn't. He made errors fairly regularly which is why him, for a time Hooper, and then Shaka were in and out of the team. They were all shite. The idea that Dubravka makes the same level of mistakes that Srnicek did every game is just pure hyperfantasy.

I wouldn't agree, but I could definitely take the argument of someone preferring Krul when he was at his best for us, but everyone else aside from Given in the PL era has been comfortably worse than Dubravka.

Edited by kisearch

I had my issues with Krul but him between 2011-13 is the second best goalie we've had in my lifetime (for me, Jeff). 

Dubs was great when he first came too, but his status may have been elevated cos we had a run of an injury prone/regressing Krul, Karl Darlow and Rob effin Elliot. It was great having an actually good goalkeeper, who was cool as fuck with a great name. 

3 minutes ago, DJ_NUFC said:

Prime Krul > Dubs. 

And I don’t hate Dubs. I feel like people just like him more because he’s taller than the others on the list posted above :lol: 

If you want to compare the players at their best, then Dubs is still above Krul IMO.

A critical attribute of a keeper is consistency; Dubs was comfortably our most complete keeper (as far back as I've been watching ~95) for a good 18 months after he'd signed. I really liked Krul, but I'm not sure he had a spell at his best for that long, and equally, Krul had some significant weaknesses in his game whereas Dubs is far more rounded/complete.

It's a little more difficult to gauge where he is right now with the frequency of injury, which is a reason to look for another keeper.

11 minutes ago, kisearch said:

The odd bit of mindlessness :lol: Srnicek's a cult hero but let's not pretend he was any good because he wasn't. He made errors fairly regularly which is why him, for a time Hooper, and then Shaka were in and out of the team. They were all shite. The idea that Dubravka makes the same level of mistakes that Srnicek did every game is just pure hyperfantasy.

I wouldn't agree, but I could definitely take the argument of someone preferring Krul when he was at his best for us, but everyone else aside from Given in the PL era has been comfortably worse than Dubravka.

Trust me, I wouldn’t argue that Srnicek was a top keeper - he wasn’t.  We’ve never had a top keeper in the PL era - but Dubravka is a mediocre one at best. Man City’s first goal at the weekend was straight from the Hooper / Elliott scrapbook. 

18 hours ago, The Prophet said:

What if he was signed alongside Botman though? In isolation its impossible to tell if its a statement if intent or not, but he would be a useful addition.

Botman and Rodon sound like just the crime-fighting duo our defence needs.

21 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

Trust me, I wouldn’t argue that Srnicek was a top keeper - he wasn’t.  We’ve never had a top keeper in the PL era - but Dubravka is a mediocre one at best. Man City’s first goal at the weekend was straight from the Hooper / Elliott scrapbook. 

Given is as near we've got and just as far as shot-stopping goes he was a top 'keeper imo. Man City's first goal was 100% Clark's fault imo. 

If we're talking on form Dele Alli I'm not sure how we can say no? When was he last playing well though? I thought he'd been in and out of the first team?

I'm not sure the lad has the mentality to move from London to the North East for a relegation battle, though happy to be proved wrong.

Also, Krul was a great goalkeeper for us with some excellent shot stopping. The only thing I could never get away with was his distribution, dear me. Finally, how could you forget Krul's break into WWE villain mode at the World Cup? Still watch that clip of him gaan radge before each penalty.