Transfer rumours

Yorkie

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

Trippier would be a statement of intent. It certainly wouldn't be "so far stink of pulling the pissed ugly munter at the end of the night"

People are mad some of the players they're turning their noses up at

We arent going to have a squad full of 30/40/50m players in every position (yet) but we all know most of the squad need to go so we need to "pad" the team out with younger not playing every week players especially as we appear to be linked to alot of older more seasoned players they arent going to exactly be around very long. 

We havent given them a window or two yet to see how they want to play this while we do need immediate impact this window we also need to try and replace what we can when the right deals come up. 

5 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

We need a new CB and keeper really like but money also needs to be spent elsewhere so someone like Rodon would be a good shout imo.

Keeper is by a country mile the least if our problems like 

The January loan market has been a decent stomping ground on the whole for us in recent years. Bruce's first one bore little fruit in terms of quality, but that's only because he didn't want to play Lazaro, who was canny. Dubravka, Kenedy, Slimani (at a push), Lazaro, Willock. Bentaleb and Rose were rubbish but gave us some value in terms of appearances/cover. That's a decent hit rate in recent years. Players are being presented with an opportunity to prove themselves. The context is a bit different now cos we're such a basket case but I certainly wouldn't be against the likes of Rodon.

1 minute ago, 54 said:

Keeper is by a country mile the least if our problems like 

It really isn't. A significant upgrade there would be huge for us, but it will probably have to wait until the summer. 

I've seen 'least of our worries' said of about five players in recent weeks. The team is terrible so I don't think you can rank any player above another. Every one of them is the most of our worries. :lol:

Except Joelinton. 

I suppose the priority argument comes down to the fact for squad balance etc we wont be getting a new 11 in a single window if we only signed say 5 players which 6 positions would you be more happy/comfortable about leaving with the current squad. Although factoring in some need shipping or unregistering in order to free up squad places. 

I think Dubravka is still a decent keeper personally. Yes he was at fault for the opener on Sunday, but he's usually quite commanding of his area, and he did pull off at least one wonder save as well. 

Are people shitting on Dubs all of a sudden? Thats news. Personally think he's a great keeper, bit off form since he came back from injury admittedly, but he's gained us much more points then he's cost us, and would personally rank him as our second best keeper of the Premier League era.

3 minutes ago, 54 said:

Are people shitting on Dubs all of a sudden? Thats news. Personally think he's a great keeper, bit off form since he came back from injury admittedly, but he's gained us much more points then he's cost us, and would personally rank him as our second best keeper of the Premier League era.

Even so if he's injured (which he is known for) we're left with Darlow.

Dubs isn't really a great all-round keeper though, is he? He's a great shot stopper on his day but we could definitely do a lot better.

Dubravka routinely makes errors, is always injured and is one fifth/sixth of an abominable defence that totally shits itself at least once every single game, so he's absolutely accountable. I loved him in his first year and a half but he looks to me like yet another one who's suffered from having a functioning football strategy ripped from underneath him. I've been saying this for a while now but you really can't underestimate the influence of a great keeper; they set the tone of the defence and - depending on what sort of team you are - play a big role in possession and building attacks.

The sooner we replace as many players currently in the squad the better; I don't think there's anyone I'd be desperate to keep based on what I've seen since the beginning of October. 

9 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Even so if he's injured (which he is known for) we're left with Darlow.

Dubs isn't really a great all-round keeper though, is he? He's a great shot stopper on his day but we could definitely do a lot better.

I personally would say he is, he's commanding of his box, he continually organizes and communicates the defense (This weekend aside, that was horrendous :lol:), his distribution is decent, while not spectacular, and his shot-stopping is absolutely class. 

I'm not saying he shouldnt be replaced in the next 2/3 windows by the way, as I think with his age and namely his injury record he will need to be, and naturally there are better keepers out there, but for the next window he is the least of our concerns, he's a solid mid-table/lower top half keeper, a bit like Fabianski.

Edited by 54

I hope the keeper situation can wait and hope its mainly down to how poor the defence is in front of him adding to the pressure/errors etc a new back 4 with a new central midfield player and a back up striker (ok so thats me asking for 6) would hopefully assist in dragging the poor squad along and making up for its deficiencies. 

13 minutes ago, 54 said:

I personally would say he is, he's commanding of his box, he continually organizes and communicates the defense (This weekend aside, that was horrendous :lol:), his distribution is decent, while not spectacular, and his shot-stopping is absolutely class. 

I'm not saying he shouldnt be replaced in the next 2/3 windows by the way, as I think with his age and namely his injury record he will need to be, and naturally there are better keepers out there, but for the next window he is the least of our concerns, he's a solid mid-table/lower top half keeper, a bit like Fabianski.

Yeah this is where I am. I'm not saying he's what we need going forward, but for now at least, GK is not a priority position. There are far too many other areas need addressing first. 

But by all means, if we can get 8-10 signings in of the requisite quality then go ahead, sign a £25-40m keeper. 

2 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

Transfer fees are amortised over the length of a player's contract rather than being shown in the accounts as a lump sum when the transfer is made. Looking at their accounts Everton will be hamstrung by FFP for a while yet.

I totally get why this is the case and that it follows accounting rules but it is bullshit for FFP purposes. Easy get around, offer a 10 year contract and slash your spend in the year.

It should really follow the idea of capital allowances in tax law where your capital spend is spread over a set number of years. Everyone is on the same playing field then

2 hours ago, gjohnson said:

It's not exactly the statement of intent we were all hoping for though is it?

Yes he may well be better than what we have (not difficult), but it doesn't indicate that there are plans for massive investment in the playing squad

Plus, I thought it was a given that the '6' had agreed to refuse to deal with us.

Hope it's not true as all PIF/Stavely/Rueben choices so far stink of pulling the pissed ugly munter at the end of the night 'cos it's all they can get rather than putting in effort to get who they actually want

We're bottom of the league.  You dont go for big longer term signings when you're bottom of the league.  You go for players that will get you out of that position.  Then go for the better long term players when you're in a better position to attract quality. 

Edited by Teasy

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

Trippier would be a statement of intent. It certainly wouldn't be "so far stink of pulling the pissed ugly munter at the end of the night"

Trippier certainly would be a statement of intent and isthe best player we've been linked with so far

Edited by gjohnson
Correction