Transfer rumours

Yorkie

3 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

I see the bed shitting has started already.   Happy Xmas all and remember - if they aint getting you clicking, then they aint making money!

:lol:

I don’t see any evidence of bed shitting here.

I can see measured discussion between people with different (and sometimes fluid) opinions but no shitting. 

It wouldn't be very sensible of Staveley to come out and say we've got hundreds of billions to spend, would it? For multiple reasons.

Unfortunately, all we can do is wait and see. Pointless fretting about it, I'm just excited that we're entering a January transfer window looking like we might spend something.

I noticed Arab News stopped their fanfare over us as soon as it was apparent that we’re currently the PL whipping boys. Reflects poorly on PIF right now.

If this is indeed a PR/ sportswashing exercise (rather than an roi-driven investment opportunity) then I imagine a lot of the bigger spending that we’re all hoping for will come once we’re seen as a more glamorous project.

it simply could go either way if we were in a better league position then I would expect to see limited spending as Jan window doesnt hold as good of a value as the summer. They also dont want to be lumbered with players by making rash decisions on fees/contract length as it will strangle the clubs transfer windows in the near future due to FFP. 

Not sure how much clubs expect to lose by dropping into the championship but if it were to set us back 60-100m I can see them being happy spending that much as its a calculated risk. We may just spend massively in the loan market as a compromise not because we are skint or operating on a shoe string but because we get a higher calibre of player potentially but not the big contracts as our league status is under threat. That or loan with an obligation to buy on the back of us staying up. 

As others have said its exciting as normally we expect nothing and usually get nothing or are haggling over a few million loan fees, for once we need players in and will be active in the window. 

2 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I noticed Arab News stopped their fanfare over us as soon as it was apparent that we’re currently the PL whipping boys. Reflects poorly on PIF right now.

If this is indeed a PR/ sportswashing exercise (rather than an roi-driven investment opportunity) then I imagine a lot of the bigger spending that we’re all hoping for will come once we’re seen as a more glamorous project.

How are we seen as a more glamorous project without spending though? :lol:

It's tough to be the new owners of a club at the bottom. Everything right now is a confounding factor. You cannot splash out on top top players as none of them want to come. You then target players who can first get you to safety, but you'd have to splash out too, just to get these players.

That affects your budget (as well as your player quota) for the summer, IF you get to safety with these second-tier players that you have to now pay a load just to get them to agree to sign on for a relegation dogfight. Everything is complicated when your club is at the bottom. 

This window won’t be a reflection of how big or small they’re planning to spend in general, IMO. It’ll more be how they judge they can stay up without saddling the club with overly expensive and long deals for people who might not really want to be here. 

It’s a really difficult time to try and transform a team but I’m confident they’ll give it a good go. 

2 hours ago, LV said:

:lol:

I don’t see any evidence of bed shitting here.

I can see measured discussion between people with different (and sometimes fluid) opinions but no shitting. 

Didn't you know, everything has to be one extreme or the other these days.

Palmer's development is perfect at Man City.  

As we saw on Sunday, he gets Premier League game time when the game is won (the same as Foden did at the start of his development).  I don't see how he'd benefit from playing 90 minutes in high-pressure six pointers at this stage in his career.