Realistic Transfer Targets (2024/25)

joeyt

4 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

Totally agree with you on Phillips. 

I think he's exactly the sort of player we need- against the bottom-half teams he can sit and allow Bruno some freedom going forward, against the better sides they can play a bit deeper together and I think they'd shield the back four quite effectively. 

Same here. The Henderson comparison is apt too, people used to wonder why Liverpool paid so much for someone who seemingly just ran about a lot, but he's non-stop for 90 mins. One of those players who doesn't do anything flash for the most part, but does everything right at a high tempo.

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, TRon said:

Same here. The Henderson comparison is apt too, people used to wonder why Liverpool paid so much for someone who seemingly just ran about a lot, but he's non-stop for 90 mins. One of those players who doesn't do anything flash for the most part, but does everything right at a high tempo.

Aye he is a no thrills player, but every thing he does is usually 100% right, so important to a team in midfield. 

Interesting snippet from Howe in the press conference where he was asked about taking recommendations for signings from his players, then the journo references Paqueta.

Howe basically responded and said he wouldn’t dismiss any recommendations, and it was handy for him that his top players have these type of relationships as it could help us with signings.

1 hour ago, ManDoon said:

I prefer his play style to Henderson, he’s more physical and a bit nastier, more athletic too. 

Yeah I can see that, they both have their own strengths. I think Philips is used more centrally isn't he?

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Just think he has more of that physicality, possibly less ability on the ball but in pure defensive terms I prefer him 

Agree, if we were looking for someone to be the perfect midfield partner for Bruno he would fit the bill. I know there's talk of Paqueta but in the PL you would wonder if him and Bruno would have that physicality required.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Agree, if we were looking for someone to be the perfect midfield partner for Bruno he would fit the bill. I know there's talk of Paqueta but in the PL you would wonder if him and Bruno would have that physicality required.

This is where I don’t see Joelinton being a first choice because I think someone like Paqueta would be perfect as the most advanced in a sort of number 10 role with Bruno and Phillips/Bissouma deeper.

10 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Just think he has more of that physicality, possibly less ability on the ball but in pure defensive terms I prefer him 

Yup. I think our midfield is crying out for a player like him or Sangare.

23 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

This is where I don’t see Joelinton being a first choice because I think someone like Paqueta would be perfect as the most advanced in a sort of number 10 role with Bruno and Phillips/Bissouma deeper.

I agree about Joelinton, I think long term he's not the answer, but not sure if Bruno would work as a defensive midfielder either, I think Philips with Bruno would be a better fit, as Mandoon has said he's more of the physical playbreaker type whereas Bruno can operate in all areas.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I agree about Joelinton, I think long term he's not the answer, but not sure if Bruno would work as a defensive midfielder either, I think Philips with Bruno would be a better fit, as Mandoon has said he's more of the physical playbreaker type whereas Bruno can operate in all areas.

That’s where I think we need someone like Paqueta. Phillips & Bruno deeper, Paqueta the link between them and the striker.

Either of those 2 (Philips or Sangare) would be ideal; we need someone who’s very good defensively, energetic, strong, athletic/ with a bit of place and comfortable on the ball.

Besides maybe a dependable striker, I think it’s currently the most crucial position we need to address.

Edited by McCormick

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

That’s where I think we need someone like Paqueta. Phillips & Bruno deeper, Paqueta the link between them and the striker.

Yeah that would be perfect tbh.

35 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Totally, just need that one minded defensive player to knit it all together. I’d like a bit of aggression in there 

We need that number 6 in there. May change if we sign Paqueta but Bruno has been starved of the ball in the last 2 games against the top sides in the league due to a lack of defensive cover. Phillips, Kamara, Sangare et al are players in the mould we need. Then striker, winger and probably a CB. We won't get a player in every position we want in the summer, we'll likely gradually get them over the next 4 windows.

Henderson

Trippier   schar   Carlos   targett

Bruno   joelinton

Paqueta  erikson   ASM

Jesus 

Just now, Gaztoon said:

Henderson

Trippier   schar   Carlos   targett

Bruno   joelinton

Paqueta  erikson   ASM

Jesus 

Jesus! :pedro:

5 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

We need that number 6 in there. May change if we sign Paqueta but Bruno has been starved of the ball in the last 2 games against the top sides in the league due to a lack of defensive cover. Phillips, Kamara, Sangare et al are players in the mould we need. Then striker, winger and probably a CB. We won't get a player in every position we want in the summer, we'll likely gradually get them over the next 4 windows.

Still think a marauding LB would really up our passing game as well.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Bruno as Xavi, Paqueta as Iniesta, and Phillips as Busquets.

Elliot Anderson as Maradona.