Realistic Transfer Targets (2024/25)

joeyt

On 20/04/2023 at 17:32, The Butcher said:

Adam Wharton from Blackburn. Looks a gem.

Watched him vs Coventry the other day and looked composed beyond his years. 

Hope we are looking at this kid; especially if the Chelsea home grown fire sale rumours are true. He's obviously more attacking in these videos than Burn is, but I think he could play a similar role. Brilliant in build up phase, moves inside quite often, both-footed, quick...

IF we get CL then i genuinely don't know what kind of resources we'll have for transfers. Also no idea how many players we actually are looking to sign (seen reports though). However IF we could afford it without running the risk of  not being able to strengthen other areas too then i would love us to go for Caicedo. IF we were to spend that amount money i'd rather have him than Rice as he is more of an allrounder who's pretty good at everything basically. Also his wages would not be much more than half of Rice's. I love hearing Howe say "Elite players" as it means that we will only go for top top quality unless potential as backup. Someone like Ugarte, Thuram or Kone might be more likely and i'd be very happy with either of those as i don't feel like we need a pure DM. Ugarte probably is more of a pure DM with ball carrying and tecnical ability but he would also cost half of Rice basically. Not that i think we will get Rice anyway.

Caicedo would be a bullet proof guaranteed top quality no risk signing that would make our CM arguably the best in the league. Sort of a VVD kind of signing if you like. As said though, i doubt we'd spend 80m+ on a single player. We spent a lot on Isak but slightly different as he's a striker and Wilson our only option got injured. Who knows... Quality before quantity :thup:

Edited by Ikon

Caicedo has been talking very publicly about joining (insert massive club) since January. Latest being Real Madrid. I'd much rather sign someone who is interested in our project and is keen to grow and progress with the club. This is why Bruno G and Trippier were such great signings - they really bought into "the project".

4 minutes ago, Emotic said:

Caicedo has been talking very publicly about joining (insert massive club) since January. Latest being Real Madrid. I'd much rather sign someone who is interested in our project and is keen to grow and progress with the club. This is why Bruno G and Trippier were such great signings - they really bought into "the project".

Well if Caicedo said that he has no interest in us then obviously we wont even try. Also, i don't think he's "high profile" enough for RM. Not even as much as Camavinga or Tchouameni. If they go for a CM it's Bellingham i think.

Edited by Ikon

3 minutes ago, Emotic said:

I get what you’re saying but things get said all the time and if we signed it’ll only happen if he’s 100% committed. 

On 21/04/2023 at 18:37, Disco said:

Hope we’re keeping tabs on the Hajduk Split u19s. 

A lot of Italian teams have opened up academies around the Balkan countries. Wouldn't be the worst idea considering the amount of talent that's come through the Balkan region in last 10 years.

17 minutes ago, Ikon said:

IF we get CL then i genuinely don't know what kind of resources we'll have for transfers. Also no idea how many players we actually are looking to sign (seen reports though). However IF we could afford it without running the risk of  not being able to strengthen other areas too then i would love us to go for Caicedo. IF we were to spend that amount money i'd rather have him than Rice as he is more of an allrounder who's pretty good at everything basically. Also his wages would not be much more than half of Rice's. I love hearing Howe say "Elite players" as it means that we will only go for top top quality unless potential as backup. Someone like Ugarte, Thuram or Kone might be more likely and i'd be very happy with either of those as i don't feel like we need a pure DM. Ugarte probably is more of a pure DM with ball carrying and tecnical ability but he would also cost half of Rice basically. Not that i think we will get Rice anyway.

Caicedo would be a bullet proof guaranteed top quality no risk signing that would make our CM arguably the best in the league. Sort of a VVD kind of signing if you like. As said though, i doubt we'd spend 80m+ on a single player. We spent a lot on Isak but slightly different as he's a striker and Wilson our only option got injured. Who knows... Quality before quantity :thup:

I agree if you stick Caicedo (or someone of that calibre) in that midfield we go up another level. Obviously we need several players but a new left back to help our overrall play a Caicedo type player and a new top notch winger improve that side immeasurably.

Well, if we do end up getting a CL spot, then we need to get in quite a few players tbh. I worry this may disrupt the harmony, but there’s no way we can compete in all competitions playing the same 11 in and out. 
Sheff Wed springs to mind as a reminder of how shit that 2nd line-up is atm. 

1 hour ago, maze said:

Well, if we do end up getting a CL spot, then we need to get in quite a few players tbh. I worry this may disrupt the harmony, but there’s no way we can compete in all competitions playing the same 11 in and out. 
Sheff Wed springs to mind as a reminder of how shit that 2nd line-up is atm. 

Personally think the bulk of the squad, infact probably everyone apart from Trippier, would be so excited to play in the CL that they won't allow anyone/anything to dampen the vibe. Plus they have too get through Howe first to even join us.

2 hours ago, Ikon said:

Well if Caicedo said that he has no interest in us then obviously we wont even try. Also, i don't think he's "high profile" enough for RM. Not even as much as Camavinga or Tchouameni. If they go for a CM it's Bellingham i think.

Real Madrid rarely pay big fees for high profile players. They spend what it takes to get the world's best young players (Militao, Tchouameni,Odegaard, Camavinga, Rodrygo, Vini jr., Valverde, Endrick etc.) then supplement that with free or reduced transfers for established high profile players (Alaba, Courtois, Rudiger).

Caicedo's problem is Real have 3 great young players in central midfield already and might keep both Kroos & Modric for another season. IMO he'll be too expensive for them to sign.

1 hour ago, BonesJones said:

Personally think the bulk of the squad, infact probably everyone apart from Trippier, would be so excited to play in the CL that they won't allow anyone/anything to dampen the vibe. Plus they have too get through Howe first to even join us.

Fine by me if they can perform. Thing is they won’t be able to play in all comptetions, so we still need more and better players. 

The majority of our squad never thought they’d be in the CL. Like ever. They are loving it. Callum Wilson has never played CL football and is searching for the next big thing in his career after making that World Cup; he’ll be absolutely buzzing for it. 

Just now, Shearergol said:

Scary thing is, can we afford to drop Longstaff? :lol:

It’s wild but I’ve been saying it for a weeks now. If you replace Longstaff you have to get at least an equal engine and tactically selfless player or one who elevated the longstaff role - it’s probably Rice. 

9 minutes ago, Kanji said:

It’s wild but I’ve been saying it for a weeks now. If you replace Longstaff you have to get at least an equal engine and tactically selfless player or one who elevated the longstaff role - it’s probably Rice. 

This actually holds true for a lot of our players, many of which we would happily have sold a year ago. Murphy and Miggy for example, both would bring in decent money now, but would Eddie let them go if we need to free up space for new signings? Very difficult one this, as they are ideal squad players, but we might have to sell to buy.

It helps that the players mentioned must have doubled their values over this season. All down to Howe.

I would rather buy Phillips at the reported 40 mil he will be going for this summer.

two years ago he was miles better than rice, some injuries that persisted and a certain Rodri have stalled his development.