Kieran Trippier 'hopefully back soon' (Howe)

Yorkie

If we sell Trippier to Bayern for £20 million on a three-year contract by my own reckoning the amorterisation alone gives us £60 million to spend. That could buy four players worth £60 million on four year contracts or six players worth £60 million on six year contracts. It's an absolute no brainer, though I'm not sure Trippier's missus would be best pleased as every Oktoberfest he might find himself up to his ears in buxom Bavarian beauties!

2 minutes ago, Gottlob said:

If we sell Trippier to Bayern for £20 million on a three-year contract by my own reckoning the amorterisation alone gives us £60 million to spend. That could buy four players worth £60 million on four year contracts or six players worth £60 million on six year contracts. It's an absolute no brainer, though I'm not sure Trippier's missus would be best pleased as every Oktoberfest he might find himself up to his ears in buxom Bavarian beauties!

we could do the same with Longstaff.

Keep Trips but to have a genuine battle with Tino for the number 2 slot next season before yielding in 2025 to being backup and use the longstaff cash to beef up centre mid and right wing

39 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

we could do the same with Longstaff.

Keep Trips but to have a genuine battle with Tino for the number 2 slot next season before yielding in 2025 to being backup and use the longstaff cash to beef up centre mid and right wing

If we're selling Longstaff I'd hope for something in the region of £30 million on a five-year contract. With the amortisation added, the amount we'd have to spend would beggar belief no less than it would defy expectation.

1 hour ago, Gottlob said:

People need to stop with this bullshit. This isn't how it works.

Sure, sell Trippier this year for £20m and we get a £20m FFP boost. But IF we sign someone for £60m over 6 years, sure that's only a £10m hit to FFP this year. So we could sign 2 of them, of course.

But the problem is that next year we've got to fund another £10m towards this transfer. Or £20m if we've signed 2. And the year after. And so on, for 6 years. We can kick the can down the road, sure, but eventually all these cans we've kicked down the road will become a massive fucking problem. People keep acting as if we can use selling players as some kind of FFP cheat code but it really doesn't work that way.

2 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

People need to stop with this bullshit. This isn't how it works.

Sure, sell Trippier this year for £20m and we get a £20m FFP boost. But IF we sign someone for £60m over 6 years, sure that's only a £10m hit to FFP this year. So we could sign 2 of them, of course.

But the problem is that next year we've got to fund another £10m towards this transfer. Or £20m if we've signed 2. And the year after. And so on, for 6 years. We can kick the can down the road, sure, but eventually all these cans we've kicked down the road will become a massive fucking problem. People keep acting as if we can use selling players as some kind of FFP cheat code but it really doesn't work that way.

We've moved on from that now. We're talking about selling Longstaff for £30 million over a five year contract. Taking amortaniseation into account, that gives us £150 million to spend as a lump sum to do as we wish.

I don’t think amortisation matters with outgoings. 

if we sell longstaff for £30 million, our profit show 30 million instantly, regardless of how long a contract his new club gives him. 

Amortisation only applies to incomings.

2 hours ago, Gottlob said:

We've moved on from that now. We're talking about selling Longstaff for £30 million over a five year contract. Taking amortaniseation into account, that gives us £150 million to spend as a lump sum to do as we wish.

The length of contract for players you sell is irrelevant when it comes to amortisation 

3 hours ago, Gottlob said:

If we sell Trippier to Bayern for £20 million on a three-year contract by my own reckoning the amorterisation alone gives us £60 million to spend. That could buy four players worth £60 million on four year contracts or six players worth £60 million on six year contracts. 

Sorry, but not a word of this is remotely accurate.

5 hours ago, Gottlob said:

Not quite.  The length of Trippier’s new contract doesn’t come into it.  And he’s only been here two years - his previous fee is still being amortised.  Also, the ‘head room’ as Eales called it doesn’t create anything like £240m worth of transfer availability.

If we allow for Trippier going for £15m, that would mean £15m - c.£5m (outstanding amortisation).  So that would be £10m.  We then knock £100k off the wage bill.

Any new players coming in would likely have wages of a similar level - let’s say you want to bring two in.  So that’s £200k p/w plus signing on fees.  That would be at least an extra £2m in the current FY (season). You’re down to £8m, comfortably.

Allowing for amortisation over two five year contracts, that would mean you might be able to buy two £15-20m players off the back of the deal - at a push.

7 hours ago, Gottlob said:

That's not how maths works.

It might give us £150m to spend now, but we're just kicking the can down the road for everything but the first £30m.

We'll have to keep selling £30m of players every year to cover this if we do it.

Everyone keeps saying 'amortisation' as if you can just forget all costs after the first 12 months. Nope. Amortisation just means it gets spread out.

To put it simply: If you spend £150m and amortise it over 5 years and fund this year's costs by selling Longstaff, who are you selling for £30m to fund next year's £30m?

Our problem is we've already amortised lots. Until those amortisation periods end, we're a bit fucked because we've got to keep paying for them. Unless that is we keep selling people or increase our revenue, which of course we are doing.

In other words, if we sell Longstaff, some of that may well need to go to stuff we've amortised last year or the year before. Those costs haven't just magically disappeared into thin air just because they were last year.

Yeah, there is this huge misunderstanding about amortisation 

I honestly think some people look at it as free money

Take the Chelsea and their lengthy contracts, whilst it lowered the amounts each year they will still be paying for those players for years to come and that could end up catching up with them down the line

The Saudis bailed them out last summer buying their deadwood and this summer they'll get money from us for Hall and will probably sell Gallagher, they'll need to keep doing this each season though and if they don't all those long contracts will eventually catch up and hurt them

11 hours ago, Gottlob said:

:serious:

Bild saying talks between us and Bayern M today regarding Trippier loan. IF true all the reports lately regarding him then surely there’s more to this than has been mentioned. As of now it doesn’t make any sense (if true I repeat). A lot of smoke. Kind of..

Edited by Ikon

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

Bild saying talks between us and Bayern M today regarding Trippier loan. IF true all the reports lately regarding him then surely there’s more to this than has been mentioned. As of now it doesn’t make any sense (if true I repeat) 

Urgh. This season is turning out absolutely minging. Would never in a million years have seen Trippier leaving. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Urgh. This season is turning out absolutely minging. Would never in a million years have seen Trippier leaving. 

This. Time will tell I guess, if anything happens. Especially if a loan. If we sold him to get money in then maybe, just maybe it would make sense to a degree. Even then it doesn’t make too much sense. 

Really, really can’t see how he leaves this season BUT if there is weight to those rumours that could be a game changer.

Edited by Nine

5 minutes ago, Nine said:

Really, really can’t see how he leaves at all BUT if there is weight to those rumours that could be a game changer.

What's the point of a loan?

12 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Same. But I think it's important to not get overly disheartened yet. If it does happen, it makes a big difference if it's being done with a view to making a vital signing while holding on to Bruno and co. into next season and beyond. Only time would tell on that, but I think we owe them it.