Kieran Trippier 'hopefully back soon' (Howe)

Yorkie

4 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

The cheek of it man. Probably thought their name alone would prove irresistible or something.

Trippier's played with Kane before, he knows how this story goes :lol:

Im from Bury where Kieran is from. I played in the same league as his brother Kelvin and my brother was in the same team (Woodbank) as Kieran when they were kids. Chris, Kieran’s dad ran the team, and although Kieran was a year younger than everyone else he played for the team. When I say played, I mean he completely bossed it. 

From such a young age you could see how class he was going to be. I remember one match when he was about 7 or 8 and he skinned the entire opposition, put his foot on the ball and just blasted it top corner from outside the box. 

He's from a family that is obsessed with football, unfortunately they’re Man United fans but you can’t win them all :)

His mum and dad are sound, my mum would often go into the local shop near where they lived (and where my mum worked) and would try and wind his dad up when City beat Man United (which was rare when I was growing up)

It’s great to see him still doing well. 

He's fantastic mate, by some distance the best right back I've ever seen at Newcastle in my 30 odd years supporting the club and my lass's dad who's been supporting the club since the early '60s agrees.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

He's fantastic mate, by some distance the best right back I've ever seen at Newcastle in my 30 odd years supporting the club and my lass's dad who's been supporting the club since the early '60s agrees.

When he was a kid I was sure he’d become a midfielder because of how good he was on the ball. He was always kicking a ball around though, you’d see him outside the Co-op booting a ball against the wall in his City tracksuit. 

I'm still baffled how Spurs gave him away because they thought Aurier was better. 

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Tbf we've had some dross in my time...apart from a few moments when Beye could be arsed, Warren Barton was the last half decent one...and I didn't think he was that good

3 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Tbf we've had some dross in my time...apart from a few moments when Beye could be arsed, Warren Barton was the last half decent one...and I didn't think he was that good

It sounds like your right back situation (pre-Kieran) was the same as our left back issue. Can’t remember the last time we had a decent one!

10 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

We have, but Beye, Debuchy had very good periods, the utility lads: Hughes, Watson and Venison (when they played there) were all decent, Barton and Janmaat had their brief moments, but yeah, there's no competition like. Trippier was the best right back I'd seen within about 15 games.

Edited by Kid Icarus

10 minutes ago, Mase said:

It sounds like your right back situation (pre-Kieran) was the same as our left back issue. Can’t remember the last time we had a decent one!

Enrique? Remember we never seemed to look fast but hardly ever got beaten for pace

1 hour ago, gjohnson said:

John Brownlie was good at the time.

I was only 10 or 11 like.

His turn into form again has coincided with him being captain while Lascelles has been out. Said it at the time, this guy needed it as oozes confidence more when the responsibility is heavily on his shoulders.

Just now, nufcjb said:

His turn into form again has coincided with him being captain while Lascelles has been out. Said it at the time, this guy needed it as oozes confidence more when the responsibility is heavily on his shoulders.

Probably more to do with the fact Lascelles isn’t next to him.

6 hours ago, Mase said:

Im from Bury where Kieran is from. I played in the same league as his brother Kelvin and my brother was in the same team (Woodbank) as Kieran when they were kids. Chris, Kieran’s dad ran the team, and although Kieran was a year younger than everyone else he played for the team. When I say played, I mean he completely bossed it. 

From such a young age you could see how class he was going to be. I remember one match when he was about 7 or 8 and he skinned the entire opposition, put his foot on the ball and just blasted it top corner from outside the box. 

He's from a family that is obsessed with football, unfortunately they’re Man United fans but you can’t win them all :)

His mum and dad are sound, my mum would often go into the local shop near where they lived (and where my mum worked) and would try and wind his dad up when City beat Man United (which was rare when I was growing up)

It’s great to see him still doing well. 

Nice insight, I've a close friend who grew up in Ramsbottom and went to Woodhey High School in the same year as Trippier. As he doesn't follow football much, he wasn't aware of just how far Trippier had gone in the game until tuning into the 2018 world cup out of interest for a cultural event; only to see his old adversary bend one into the top corner. He was delighted for him.

Trippier is a gem for Newcastle, irreplaceable really. Bruno is clearly the icon or star of this team, but I believe Trippier will be remembered as the talismanic figure who ushered in the new era should Newcastle go on to further success.

18 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Surprised that he didn't have as many last season.

There was a long streak from january to around the start of may where Trippier got 1-2 FPL points ever single game (except in the 2-0 one against Man Utd where he hauled). We conceded 1 goal almost every single game (sometimes 2 and once 3), and he didn't get a single goal or assist apart from that one game. It was at the time when we were not scoring from any of our corners, or set pieces in general. We were winning nearly every game in that period though, so it didn't get noticed as much. That's why it feels like he had more last season.

Edited by Erikse

• 3 weeks later...

"Kieran felt something in his calf and had to come off the pitch,” said Howe, who was claiming his 100th Premier League victory as a manager. “That is a concern for us, although I don’t know how serious it is at this moment.”

Sigh.

14 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

"Kieran felt something in his calf and had to come off the pitch,” said Howe, who was claiming his 100th Premier League victory as a manager. “That is a concern for us, although I don’t know how serious it is at this moment.”

Sigh.

In Howe speak that means he'll be retiring due to injury by Thursday.

Joking of course. Hope he's ok.

The physio was giving the bench the thumbs up after checking on him and it looked like he was going to try to walk it off. 

Ideally Howe would have just subbed him straight away as there was no reason to risk him, but glad Trippier made the sensible choice himself.

2 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

The only good news is he could be out for almost a month and only miss two games. Probably also our best backup behind him.

Exactly. Only bad thing is one of those games is Man City in the cup which is our last chance of winning anything this season.