Kieran Trippier

Yorkie

5 minutes ago, Robbo2 said:

"Fight for his place" is telling imo 

Tino was always going to start the season just due to match fitness, so I suppose it’s not that surprising of a comment.

The rest of the comments are very Eddie-speak for “he’s off” though.

Tripper was a hugely important signing for us, arguably one of our most important ever, and he's been absolutely immense for us.

However...

He's nearly 34, and we have a ready to go replacement in Livramento who I think we all mainly agree should be starting ahead of him. So Trippier would be mainly as backup, and at 34 he won't be backup for long.

With the PSR nonsense I can see the appeal in wanting to get a fee. This is the last chance to do so. And I suspect Trippier himself would want to start each week.

So I think it's a move that makes sense for both parties.

Only sad thing is most would’ve liked him to stay and then moving into coaching set up. But let’s be real, what other players in world football who earn £100k+ a week, stay as a back up (with club happy) before moving into the coaching set up? 

Vast majority either leave to get pay day elsewhere, leave on a free due to costs or leave to continue playing at the highest level regularly for long as they can before retiring. 

Was a fanciful dream where reality has now arrived, and it’s time to say our goodbyes.

Edited by Sibierski

Irrespective of PSR, we have to become much better sellers in general, moving players on for reasonable money before we get stuck with them.  Adding the 3.5 years to Almiron's contract recently, who comes up with shit like this? Man City just sold Alvarez for an absolute fortune despite the fact that he's really not that good, that's smart business. Nothing smart about what we are doing or we wouldn't have Trippier, Targett, Fraser, Almiron, Lascelles, Hayden, Dubravka, Lewis, Ashby, and another 25 goalkeepers taking up squad places and getting paid obscene amounts of money for what they contribute.  Work smarter not harder.

33 minutes ago, Likelylad said:

I do find it frustrating that a team that has finished 4th and 7th struggles offload it's players. Unless it's Bruno, Isak & Gordon. 

We’re like a point of Guinness at the moment where half our squad naturally float to the top and the others sink to the bottom.  We won’t sell many and will just have to wait until contracts run down.

Edited by Gawalls

36 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

We’re like a point of Guinness at the moment where half our squad naturally float to the top and the others sink to the bottom.  We won’t sell many and will just have to wait until contracts run down.

IMG_9043.thumb.gif.1aa9444efecdb54a9f66e62f7fa3dcb2.gif

What goes up… and vice versa. Hoping for more floaters! 

Would be a truly strange timeline if we've been asking Trips to leave, he doesn't want to, and Eddie proceeds to freeze him out of the squad.

His wage off the books, even with a nominal transfer fee, would be massive though. Would allow us to basically cover Guehi's salary in full.

3 hours ago, BergenMagpie said:

Think Krafth would be fine as backup for this season. He'd probably play a "Burn role" whilst Hall would play the "Trippier role" on the left.

Wouldn't like to see Tripps go to West Ham mind. Think he'd be too good of a RB in a Fullkrug team

I'd very much prefer to scrap the "Burn role" alltogether and play with proper, modern full backs instead.

Really hope he doesn't leave, he's getting on yes but he's still a starter IMO. 

Think if you were to ask any manager in the league they would want Trippier in their squad and I'm sure Eddie is no different!

2 hours ago, Likelylad said:

I do find it frustrating that a team that has finished 4th and 7th struggles offload it's players. Unless it's Bruno, Isak & Gordon. 

Testament to EH really.

20 minutes ago, Collage said:

I'd very much prefer to scrap the "Burn role" alltogether and play with proper, modern full backs instead.

Most teams either utilise the "Burn role" or a more defensive minded midfielder.

Edited by The Prophet

2 hours ago, Likelylad said:

But do we actually struggle? Thinking back I don't think we have been that bad..

We got rid of Chris Wood as soon as he wasn't required anymore, for a good fee.

ASM was moved quickly.

Shelvey was discarded with, as soon as we had some options in midfield.

Even in January, we were going to sell Almiron until he refused the move.

Recently with Anderson and Minteh, was a farcical situation but got good fees on both occasions.

41 minutes ago, mofo said:

Really hope he doesn't leave, he's getting on yes but he's still a starter IMO. 

Think if you were to ask any manager in the league they would want Trippier in their squad and I'm sure Eddie is no different!

Most would, as he's a model pro that can most often be relied upon. But I feel that latter part is gone, with his form dropping off now he's legs are going.

If we signed Tino for £40m, with not a plan for him to be a starter this season, then that was dumb.