Kieran Trippier

Yorkie

I don't mind Trippier staying as our second choice right back but he's clearly on the decline defensively based on last season and Tino should be our first choice right back this season.

If it helps with PRS and we can get 10 million or so for him then I don't think it's a bad deal.

My worry is we keep him and he remains first choice despite struggling defensively.

Edited by Geogaddi

He had a few stinkers but he was still one of our better players last season, I reckon. The thing is that Tino was easily as good, arguably better, albeit mostly at left-back.

In an ideal world I’d still keep Trippier, but he doesn’t seem the type who’d be happy not playing at this stage of his career. He’s one of our top earners, too, so that’s hardly ideal if he’s no longer seen as one of the first names on the team sheet.

The amount of times I’ve been told him going to Saudi was a ‘done deal’ btw :lol:.

My only concern with letting him go is that we then have to rely on Krafth as back up. Tino doesn’t have a great injury record and Krafth isn’t good enough to play a decent amount of games for us imo.

Tino injury record is fine. It’s just been an ACL and a freak ankle injury. If it was muscle injuries based on how he plays, then I would be concerned, but freak injuries you can brush off. 

Krafth and Murphy as emergency RBs should be fine for a season. You don’t anticipate they will start more than 10% of league games, and you can’t go into seasons assuming your main starters are going to be injured for 50%+ of it. If a reasonable RB option comes available, I’m sure we’ll move, but it’s not a necessity this summer and better to plan and scout longer term now Mitchell is in.

Some of the comments in this thread are baffling... He played out of position for England and had a few bad performances Dec/Jan but he got 10 assists last season and since signing has been one of our most creative players. 

As it stands he is still in our best 11. 

8 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Some of the comments in this thread are baffling... He played out of position for England and had a few bad performances Dec/Jan but he got 10 assists last season and since signing has been one of our most creative players. 

The 10 assists look good on paper but when you look at them in more detail he got 6 of them in a four game spell during September and October with 3 of them coming against Sheff United and 1 against Burnley during that time.

After October he got 4 during the rest of the season and looked suspect defensively on a number of occasions.

I like him and what he has done for us, he's clearly a good leader in the dressing room but it's easy to see he's on the decline and shouldn't be our first choice right back this season especially as Tino looked better than him last season when he played . If we need funds for PRS then he's one of the few we can still actually get a bit of money for .

With Tonali back and Hall emerging, I think we should be better placed for dead ball threat than last season. Lots of potential takers, come to think of it. I would also hope the RW we all want to come in can cross it better than Almiron.

With Hall, its possible that we could alternate or even switch to attacking down the left and having the RB stay home. Gordon-Willock-Hall could reprise what we did so successfully on the right side with Almiron-Bruno-Trippier.

Trippier has been a fantastic servant but the team is evolving into something less dependent on what he has given us. 

29 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

A few bad promenades in Dec/Jan? That’s being generous. Guy literally feel off a cliff and was making mistakes in every game going. From Wolves A onwards he was bang out of form, and wasn’t till that festive period they were starting to be punished. 

Hes our most creative player, because we are set up for everything to go through him, even every set piece has to be taken by him. Fortunate to go to Euros, and playing LW essentially doesn’t mask that he was still unreliable defensively when he was actually attacked.

Guy has been a huge player for us, helped propel us right up there, but it’s clear he’s lost his bit and a separation for both parties is in the best interests for both.  

Question is if he wasn’t our player and we had the opportunity to have him for one year for say £8m upwards then we take it? If no we have to sell for that kind of offer as he only has one year left, we need to get better at selling at the right time.

6 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

A few bad promenades in Dec/Jan? That’s being generous. Guy literally feel off a cliff and was making mistakes in every game going. From Wolves A onwards he was bang out of form, and wasn’t till that festive period they were starting to be punished. 

Hes our most creative player, because we are set up for everything to go through him, even every set piece has to be taken by him. Fortunate to go to Euros, and playing LW essentially doesn’t mask that he was still unreliable defensively when he was actually attacked.

Guy has been a huge player for us, helped propel us right up there, but it’s clear he’s lost his bit and a separation for both parties is in the best interests for both.  

Agree on all of this - been a great player but I’d on the decline, getting on and only one year left, not even worthy of a conversation to be as it’s that much of a no brainier to sell.

1 hour ago, NUFC91 said:

Agreed. His poor form initially I think was related to “off field” issues. The end of the season he looked off the pace following injury. I don’t doubt he’ll probably be back to somewhere close to his best for the start of the season but I can still see us selling him to aid bringing in a RW signing (or maybe a higher calibre signing)

Edited by ExiledGeordie

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

My only concern with letting him go is that we then have to rely on Krafth as back up. Tino doesn’t have a great injury record and Krafth isn’t good enough to play a decent amount of games for us imo.

This

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Agreed, I like Krafth and rate him probably a bit more highly than most but still wouldn't like to rely on him for a whole season. If Trippier goes I'm hoping the club use this as an opportunity to get a young promising RB in, maybe someone like Kayode who we were vaguely linked to earlier in the window. That or someone similar - could be a great opportunity for Mitchell to flex his European market knowledge.

Think Krafth would be fine as backup for this season. He'd probably play a "Burn role" whilst Hall would play the "Trippier role" on the left.

Wouldn't like to see Tripps go to West Ham mind. Think he'd be too good of a RB in a Fullkrug team