Sven Botman

The Prophet

• 3 weeks later...

You can see the logic with a Bruno sale (brought in at what looks like a bargain price, 27 this year and unlikely to ever command more than what he could bring in this summer), but a sale of Botman or Isak would truly be in “what’s the point of it all?” territory. Not that I think it’s likely mind. 

52 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Surely one of our "untouchables".

Until the last few days, I thought that might've been the other way around. I've never really bought into the crown jewels thing over the past couple of years, as a kind of preventative psychological defence mechanism. But with the moves that seem to be going on, it's looking good.

44 minutes ago, Paulinho said:

You can see the logic with a Bruno sale (brought in at what looks like a bargain price, 27 this year and unlikely to ever command more than what he could bring in this summer), but a sale of Botman or Isak would truly be in “what’s the point of it all?” territory. Not that I think it’s likely mind. 

I love the random quoting of ages in transfer chat. He's 27, means he only has about 8 years left as a top player? :lol:

13 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I love the random quoting of ages in transfer chat. He's 27, means he only has about 8 years left as a top player? :lol:

I can’t think of a way to explain to you, without being incredibly patronising, why being 27 is very different to being 30 in the context of football transfers. 

11 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

In terms of years remaining as a player he's still pretty young. But in terms of a big transfer fee his age is very relevant. 

Ronaldo, Kane, and Neymar are the only players ever to go for over £75m past the age of 30. Even at 27/28 you don't have more than a handful - Griezmann, Coutinho, Lukaku, Hazard ... that might be it?

At the end of the day we currently have three "Purples" Isak/Bruno/Botman, maybe four if you throw in Gordon as well. Of the four, Bruno is the oldest and already at his peak transfer value. We have to sell one of them sooner or later in order to move forward with FFP.

2 minutes ago, Beth said:

At the end of the day we currently have three "Purples" Isak/Bruno/Botman, maybe four if you throw in Gordon as well. Of the four, Bruno is the oldest and already at his peak transfer value. We have to sell one of them sooner or later in order to move forward with FFP.

I think everything that has happened in the last 3/4 days is proof that we don't have to do that at all. Whether we will or not is another matter. 

12 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

I think everything that has happened in the last 3/4 days is proof that we don't have to do that at all. Whether we will or not is another matter. 

Yes we don't need to sell anyone if we want to stand still the next 2/3 years. Or is there some magical future money source coming in we are unaware of? Trippier, Almiron and Wilson are effectively worthless 18 months from now unless we give them extended contracts.

8 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

What's Christmas like at your gaff, Beth?

Mint. I don't buy any presents unless they're charged at 50% above their actual value.

22 minutes ago, Beth said:

Yes we don't need to sell anyone if we want to stand still the next 2/3 years. Or is there some magical future money source coming in we are unaware of? Trippier, Almiron and Wilson are effectively worthless 18 months from now unless we give them extended contracts.

Simply, yes there is a magical future money source coming in as we increase our commercial deals

and yes we could sell a Bruno and bring in 4 £40-£50m players or we could bring in £20-30/£40m from squad players, bring in 1-2 new first teamers and use some of the kids on the cups to pad out the squad.

may be slower, but it’s a better way to grow the first team

Would be surprised if we ever actually managed to replace Bruno. It’s not just his skill it’s his ‘all in’ attitude and commitment combined  with his skills and vision that make him the player he is for us. He’s totally bought in on the idea of being The Man. 
He also rarely misses a game.
Chances of finding that combination in one player again for us will have very long odds.

57 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Would be surprised if we ever actually managed to replace Bruno. It’s not just his skill it’s his ‘all in’ attitude and commitment combined  with his skills and vision that make him the player he is for us. He’s totally bought in on the idea of being The Man. 
He also rarely misses a game.
Chances of finding that combination in one player again for us will have very long odds.

Considering how injury prone our squad is and that he's a warrior who keeps turning up for games, we simply can't sell him imo.

11 hours ago, Beth said:

Yes there is a magical money source actually. Its advertising and sponsorship. Theres also players like Longstaff/Anderson/Miley who if they don't fulfill their full potential could also be sold for a good profit. Anderson for example could easily go this summer if we bring in 2/3 better midfielders,  same could be said for Longstaff arguably.