Sven Botman

The Prophet

He might be my favorite player in the team right now, not Bruno, not Isak, I just like those composed defenders. 

I remember watching Serie A in the late 90s/early 2000s and how everyone was picking Ronaldo or Zidane as their favorite player, mine was Alessandro Nesta [emoji38]

Edited by Solitude20

• 2 weeks later...

Does he have less muscle mass or is it just me? Looks more slight.

Does seem less dominant as a defender now since his injury, though I'm sure he'll get back to his best in time.

Just now, 80 said:

Does he have less muscle mass or is it just me? Looks more slight.

Does seem less dominant as a defender now since his injury, though I'm sure he'll get back to his best in time.

Feels a bit of whole defense not quite functioning midfield backwards, exposed too much

1 minute ago, Tiresias said:

Feels a bit of whole defense not quite functioning midfield backwards, exposed too much

Yes, it's not a well oiled machine now. Interested to see how much of a difference Pope makes when he comes back. I predict it'll be a big one.

Part of the issue is that none of our starting defenders are great defending one vs one.  Botman is the best of the starters but he is also susceptible to pace. All four of them have problems in a foot race with anyone even moderately quick so depend on reading the situation and starting position to negate it. That becomes problematic when players run at you unopposed. Last season we always midfielders or attackers sprinting back and forcing the attackers into less than ideal decisions. 
Botman is looking a bit less self assured because he hasn’t got the same level of protection. He’s still a very good defender imo and will get better. Needs a bit pace on at least one side of him though. Especially in our system.

Botman was badly beaten for pace on Elanga's goal and Awoniyi's chance (which Dubravka should clear 10/10 before Awoniyi touches the ball tbf).

I honestly don't think our defenders have gotten that much worse individually (yes, including Dan Burn) but the combination of a lightweight midfield that offers no protection and Dubravka being rooted to his line exposes and highlights their weaknesses.

Edited by Pata

8 minutes ago, Pata said:

Botman was badly beaten for pace on Elanga's goal and Awoniyi's chance (which Dubravka should clear 10/10 before Awoniyi touches the ball tbf).

I honestly don't think our defenders have gotten that much worse individually (yes, including Dan Burn) but the combination of a lightweight midfield that offers no protection and Dubravka being rooted to his line exposes and highlights their weaknesses.

our xg conceded per game before and after the Pope injury (not including today):

Before: 14.3 in 14 games = 1.02
After: 26.1 in 9 games = 2.9

It amazes me how we’re so quick to turn on our own. A few of the goals that have seen blame passed to Burn have equally seen Botman at fault.

Nevertheless I’m not a boo boy. Botman is class and Burn is a top pro - Howe just needs to recognise his limitations against pace. I love Howe fwiw but I think he’s trying to face up a debate when he should concede for the teams best interests

Just now, Smal said:

our xg conceded per game before and after the Pope injury (not including today):

Before: 14.3 in 14 games = 1.02
After: 26.1 in 9 games = 2.9

That's a staggering difference but the timing of the other injuries must play a role too.

Pope sweeping long balls and through balls looks very standard and ordinary but is so important, you don't really realise it until you see a GK that allowed that chance to Awoniyi happen (or even the Elanga goal which Pope might have dealt with). He made a mess of it few times and it's often scary to watch but we badly miss that right now.

5 minutes ago, Pata said:

That's a staggering difference but the timing of the other injuries must play a role too.

Pope sweeping long balls and through balls looks very standard and ordinary but is so important, you don't really realise it until you see a GK that allowed that chance to Awoniyi happen (or even the Elanga goal which Pope might have dealt with). He made a mess of it few times and it's often scary to watch but we badly miss that right now.

The injuries definitely play a part aye, and I don’t even think Dubravka has been playing badly, but he’s just the opposite of the right profile for us.

I don’t even really rate Pope either, but he is a completely different goalkeeper to Dubravka and it’s shown massively during his absence what a goalkeeper of Pope’s profile gives us. Relatively slow back line that regularly plays high up and man to man? You need an aggressive keeper who will dominate large spaces, not a meek one who hasn’t got a clue how to come off his line. 

3 minutes ago, Smal said:

The injuries definitely play a part aye, and I don’t even think Dubravka has been playing badly, but he’s just the opposite of the right profile for us.

I don’t even really rate Pope either, but he is a completely different goalkeeper to Dubravka and it’s shown massively during his absence what a goalkeeper of Pope’s profile gives us. Relatively slow back line that regularly plays high up and man to man? You need an aggressive keeper who will dominate large spaces, not a meek one who hasn’t got a clue how to come off his line. 

Pope is a fantastic keeper in my view. But I respect your opinion.

Felt like he was used a lot to play the ball into midfield and he does it so well

It's only a concern when he plays it to Longstaff if he has players around him as his touch isn't great and it can often lead to trouble

Had a quick check of the stats and he completed 104/113 passes, next highest was Schar with 82/93

Getting back into a rhythm? Sounds like code for half-arsing it which we don't have time for. Fingers crossed we see a full-blooded performance from Paully D today in the place of this waste of space.

7 minutes ago, wormy said:

Getting back into a rhythm? Sounds like code for half-arsing it which we don't have time for. Fingers crossed we see a full-blooded performance from Paully D today in the place of this waste of space.

Half-arsing it? What like he doesn’t really care that much?, howay man. He was out for a lengthy period due to injury. Clearly been feeling his way back with fitness and sharpness. Have a word ffs 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

8 minutes ago, wormy said:

:dowie:

Just now, gbandit said:

More people letting you know that was bang out of order Wormy. Time to hand in your N-O card

Never got one. Never was part of the clique. :pards: