More transfer rumours

midds

Just now, Ikon said:

Merino is twice the player of Shelvey defensively 

That isn’t difficult and it’s also why we have to play Joelinton. 

the midfield is such an interesting area for us, can’t wait to see what Howe does with it. 

1 hour ago, Mazzy said:

I agree with all of those aside from Gayle and Clark, I'd swap those 2 around. What Gayle offers a Championship clubs is worth so much more than Clark could ever. He's easily 3/4m to someone like Coventry or QPR.

Gayle hasn't played regularly for 3 years, is 32 years old now and when he has played for us he's looked far from the player he was a few years ago so I'm not certain he would have quite the appeal he once had.

1 hour ago, midds said:

I assume Merino's homesickness has cleared up now? 

Don't think homesickness was a big part of why he wanted to leave in the first place. It was obviously because of not getting a sniff of game time due to Shelvey and Diame being in fantastic form.

However, even if he was homesick back then, he's obviously more mature now.

4 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

I’m not sure Joelinton is the long term

answer in midfield. Especially if we are trying to become a team that has more possession. He is great in that destroyer/box to box role, mind. 

Shelvey should be a backup at best next season. He isn’t mobile enough or good enough winning it back to play as a genuine DM 

Bruno seems decent in a number of different roles centrally. But with how good he is on the ball and with his vision. I would like him a bit more advanced. 

It feels like we haven’t had a proper DM since Tiote. I would really like to see us go after a genuinely top class quick, strong and combative midfielder. Kante would be nice :lol:  

Think it's too soon to say. still only 24/25 isn't he? 6 months adapting to a new role, no reason he can't perfect that role in the coming years. The mentality and desire is clearly there.

40 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Seems like we may have missed the chance on this one 

This has guy has far too many probable flaws for 70m EUR. Seems like an uncomfortable level of risk. 

Loved Merino while he was here but leaving because he was homesick/ not getting game time (due to other players finding form) was a bit shit.

I think we have a similar player in Bruno now and I’d probably prefer to supplement BG with someone with more tenacity and athleticism like a Philips or a Sangare etc.

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, McCormick said:

Loved Merino while he was here but leaving because he was homesick/ not getting game time (due to other players finding form) was a bit shit.

I think we have a similar player in Bruno now and I’d probably prefer to supplement BG with someone with more tenacity and athleticism like a Philips or a Sangare etc.

Yeah kind of agree. Seemed to run a mile as soon as he couldn't get in the team.

7 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Yeah kind of agree. Seemed to run a mile as soon as he couldn't get in the team.

He was 21/22 maybe? He’s matured as a player and person you’d have thought since then.

9 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Will never criticize a player for leaving in order to play regularly, and wish more of our less gifted players would take a page out of his book. 

The only reason he came here in the first place was because he didn't get as much game time at Dortmund as he wanted, so it's quite naive to expect him to stay here under the same conditions. 

He has experience in the league so he knows what to expect, he still knows the area and some of the players and staff that are still here, so if he wanted to come back and we are interested, I'd view him as less of a risk than bringing in someone completely new.

16 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

What probable flaws?

Ive heard from some that some of the flaws are technically/in general play. One guy mentioned Lukaku in comparison, even though they are different kind of players. Personally I haven’t seen enough of Nunez 

Edited by Ikon

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

Ive heard from some that some of the flaws are technically. One guy mentioned Lukaku in comparison, even though they are different kind of players. Personally I haven’t seen enough of Nunez 

Would honestly be okay with some compared to Lukaku mind...[emoji38]

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

What probable flaws?

Bad touch and poor decision maker. Elite goal-scoring output in the Portuguese league has not historically been an especially high watermark (Jonas, Jackson Martinez, Bas Dost).

I was disappointed he didn't stick around with us as thought he was mint at times but in kinda the wrong team. I also wondered if other behind the scenes stuff was up and didn't gel with us. Who knows if true that and not going to be upset, he would not have flourished under bruce and would have ended his career for good most likely.