More transfer rumours

midds

9 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Zaha has WHU all over him, or Everton maybe. I’d like us to stay clear, can’t stand the diving, remonstrating, points the blame to team-mates all the time for when things don’t go his way cunt.

He's allegedly on £130k now, and assume he'd be after at least a 3 year deal on more than that. Quite high risk for somone who's 30 this year and so reliant on his pace and physicality. 

What's the point in targeting mid-table next season?

Will still spend lots of money. Look at Villa - Buendia, Bailey, Digne £100m. We need to set our sights higher.

Sign players that we think will be good enough for the CL or close to it. The best of the rest in the PL and top European young talent.

51 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Zaha has WHU all over him, or Everton maybe. I’d like us to stay clear, can’t stand the diving, remonstrating, points the blame to team-mates all the time for when things don’t go his way cunt.

Zaha has London boy written all over him...had his big chance at Man U and didn't do it. He's just one of those players that ego won't let go anywhere beyond the capital. Not right for us, never will be. Too much ego

Antony would be a good piece of business, but with Ten Hag seemingly set to manage Manu, he's nailed on to join them. The top names would have other suitors and I think we'd be looking at the "second-tier stars", much like Bruno, who flew pretty much under the radar. 

I honestly can't see Zaha being the type of player that would fit into Howe's gameplan, and he's already accommodating ASM as it is.

He's clearly got talent and productivity, but Howe has made it very clear that he [rightfully] favours group cohesion on the pitch over relying on individual brilliance to win a game.

2 hours ago, Stottie said:

Since Howe's first game, Nov 20, we are eighth in the form table over what is now 20 games. One more point and a game in hand over West Ham in ninth. Twenty games is over half a season.

I don't think we've been especially lucky over all twenty games. Most have been without Wilson, and the early ones had Lascelles as a starter and Joelinton as a striker, so I don't see how this twenty-game form could be dismissed as flukey or not a geniune indication of where the club currently is. I believe we are already eighth to tenth in the PL level. As the summer priority, we need to move out the deadwood, to complete the De-Ashleyfication if you like, and replace them with players capable with challenging for the first eleven. Assuming that we stick with 4-3-3, the main signings, as everyone says, should be a striker and wide forward. Targett too, but he's a given. If the initial goal is to thereabouts for a challenge for Europa League, I don't think we need wholesale changes, and would be tempted put them off until challenging for CL places becomes the goal. Spurs look like they are heading for fourth and that's with Conte, Kane, Son, .... That is streets ahead of what is at Wolves or West Ham, with a bigger jump from Spurs to West Ham than from West Ham to us.

Zaha is out of contract in 2023, so he won't command an exhorbitant fee any more. He'd definitely improve the team and wouldn't look out of place at an Arsenal/Spurs level team, but is not one for the future. If the immediate goal for next season is just sixth or seventh, this would open up the possibility of using the season to bed in high-potential young players like Ekitike or that lad at Forest. The past twenty games have demonstrated that ninth is something that can be achieved with Krafth, Ryan Fraser, Murphy, pick your least favourite midfielder, and an off-form Wood up top. We're likely to have better players than all of them for the majority of games next year.

I really don't get this kind of thinking, why would you put off changes that you'll make at some point in the future? Take away Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea and possibly Spurs and we are more than capable of matching any other team by the end of the 2023/24 summer transfer window if we make the right signings, starting this summer. One other thing to bear in mind regarding FFP, prices are only going to go up in the future so if we can get the right players now then we should go for them as we'll save money. 

We should focus primarily on 1st team starters, with current 1st teamers moving down to squad players. This would be supplemented with the odd top quality youngster to boost the squad/impact substitute.

We'll see how this summer goes but I think we'll be pleasantly surprised by PIF's ambitions. They're not messing about, just look at them so far:

• Director of Football, gone for one of the best in the business
  • Manager, went for Emery who has worked for some top clubs. We can see with Man U's search for a manager that there are not many top quality managers around and Howe fits in with where we are as a club with the potential to also grow as a manager.
  • January Transfer Window=2nd highest spend in Europe and could quite easily have been a lot more with confirmed bids in excess of £60 million
    • Including a sought after Brazilian international
    • A £25 million striker who will not be viewed as a 1st team starter after this season. It begs the question how much would they be willing to pay for a striker that they see as part of our long-term future?
  • Mark Leyland joining from Liverpool as Analyst coach when Liverpool are widely regarded as being one of the best clubs in their use of data
  • Academy: Only rumours on this message board so I'm possibly scraping the barrel, but rumours today that we are after academy staff from Chelsea

Edited by macphisto

39 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Zaha has London boy written all over him...had his big chance at Man U and didn't do it. He's just one of those players that ego won't let go anywhere beyond the capital. Not right for us, never will be. Too much ego

What's this based on?

He had a bad time under Moyes. Re-built his career at Palace. His only mistake is the same one Kane made - signing a massive long-term contract.

50 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

What's this based on?

He had a bad time under Moyes. Re-built his career at Palace. His only mistake is the same one Kane made - signing a massive long-term contract.

just everything i've seen and heard from him. You know when you get  a gut feeling from a player that they wouldn't fit in....he's one of them

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, JNK said:

Fernandinho is leaving  man city.

Says he's gonna come back to Brazil and retire on his former club, amazing transfer for us if true (yeah it's my club).:Jonny2J:

An amazing player, a rock for Man City!

6 minutes ago, JNK said:

Fernandinho is leaving  man city.

Says he's gonna come back to Brazil and retire on his former club, amazing transfer for us if true (yeah it's my club).:Jonny2J:

Got slightly excited he was coming to us (Newcastle) for a moment there.

I'm pretty relaxed on who we sign right now. I'd ideally like any striker we sign to be pacey to stretch defences, but other than that as long as we definitely strengthen the team in confident Eddie will make whatever we do work. 

4 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

I'm pretty relaxed on who we sign right now. I'd ideally like any striker we sign to be pacey to stretch defences, but other than that as long as we definitely strengthen the team in confident Eddie will make whatever we do work. 

same to be honest. fairly obvious we won't be in any danger of relegation, so it should be an enjoyable transfer window and season!

all things considered, we had an extremely good January window. and it's never going to be that difficult again. excited to see what we do.

20 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I don’t see how he fits in to Contes system tbh. Would be a fantastic pick up for us, he’s on a free right?

Didn’t Conte sign him for Inter?

Doea anyone imagine Eriksen could give Brentford another year at least as a thank you for giving him a chance? Or has he proven he's still got too much quality to waste his early 30s at a mid-table club?