More transfer rumours

midds

I could be totally wrong here but I thought I had read that the FFP hit is spread over the term of their initial contract? So a £30m signed on a 3 year contract has the same FFP hit as a £60m player signed on an initial 6 year contract.

2 minutes ago, KDT said:

I could be totally wrong here but I thought I had read that the FFP hit is spread over the term of their initial contract? So a £30m signed on a 3 year contract has the same FFP hit as a £60m player signed on an initial 6 year contract.

I think it depends on the payment agreement, in your examples that works if the payment is spread over the life of the contract rather than all up front 

2 hours ago, Lazarus said:

If Botman is around 40m to 60m and Paqueta is around 60m thats gonna be a massive chunk of our summer spending.

And its not including the RW or Striker we need.

Mandy is gonna have get working on those sponsorship deals i think.

Yeah very unlikely that we spend like that this summer, I think it terms of money spent and the quality of players signed it won’t be a whole lot different than the Jan window. No way will we spend anywhere over 150m (I’d be suprised if it was that high), it’s going to take a season or two of moderate spending in comparison to our owners wealth.. we need to build the core of the squad and more importantly the wage structure for a couple of seasons before we move into spending huge money on established players.

Edited by Nine

I disagree with you wholeheartedly, I think they will spend a fuck ton and aren’t going to give any hints what the budget is or could be. I severely doubt there is a true firm number. The only way to grow this club is to be opportunistic and if there’s a way they can secure several top names they will do it. 

5 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I disagree with you wholeheartedly, I think they will spend a fuck ton and aren’t going to give any hints what the budget is or could be. I severely doubt there is a true firm number. The only way to grow this club is to be opportunistic and if there’s a way they can secure several top names they will do it. 

I hope you are right but there simply has to be a balance to it, we cant go and sign 4/5 top players this summer on bigger wages than our current core of players - it just doesnt work that way. 

Edited by Nine

I think we’ll be cautiously ambitious in the summer, with sensible buys like in January. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a net spend of c£120m, with us spending about £150m in total and recouping £30m or so in sales. Can’t see us being reckless and spending over £200m etc.

Something along the lines of this would be unreal:

Henderson (£20m)

Botman (£40m)

Paqueta (£50m)

Targett (£15m)

J.David (£30m)

Lingard (Free)

Broja (loan)

Out: Darlow, Woodman, Lewis, Clark, Hayden, Ritchie, Gayle, Fernandez, Murphy, M Longstaff

Edited by bowlingcrofty

8 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

I think we’ll be cautiously ambitious in the summer, with sensible buys like in January. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a net spend of c£120m, with us spending about £150m in total and recouping £30m or so in sales. Can’t see us being reckless and spending over £200m etc.

Something along the lines of this would be unreal:

Henderson (£20m)

Botman (£40m)

Paqueta (£50m)

Targett (£15m)

J.David (£30m)

Lingard (Free)

Broja (loan)

Out: Darlow, Woodman, Lewis, Clark, Hayden, Ritchie, Gayle, Fernandez, Murphy, M Longstaff

Yeah this is pretty much how I see it, and our squad is massively stronger just off of those players you listed. It would be epic to see us splash 250/300m but its just not realistic at all.

Edited by Nine

I think it’s anywhere between 100-200m and there will be sales or at least contracts terminated to free wages. don’t forget we will likely announce some big commercial deals that will literally increase our ability to spend 

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We’ll top £50m I reckon on a player.

What a fucking buzz that would be, I know it’s all arbitrary and a player’s value doesn’t in any way guarantee how they’ll perform for us but it would show that we’re committed to going out there and getting players in the top price bracket

1 hour ago, 1964 said:

I think it depends on the payment agreement, in your examples that works if the payment is spread over the life of the contract rather than all up front 

No, KDT is right.

It's based on amortisation rather than the terms that were agreed with the selling club, so a £30m player you sign on a 3 year deal is worth (on the books) £30m when you buy him, £20m at the end of the first season, £10m at the end of the second season and £0m at the end of the third season. In this example if you sold that player for £15m at the end of the second season, as far as FFP goes you've made a profit of £5m rather than a loss of £15m.

This applies even if you agree with the selling club that you'll pay £10m up front then £20m over two years, it's still a £30m asset that belongs to the club once they've signed their contract.

7 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

No, KDT is right.

It's based on amortisation rather than the terms that were agreed with the selling club, so a £30m player you sign on a 3 year deal is worth (on the books) £30m when you buy him, £20m at the end of the first season, £10m at the end of the second season and £0m at the end of the third season. In this example if you sold that player for £15m at the end of the second season, as far as FFP goes you've made a profit of £5m rather than a loss of £15m.

This applies even if you agree with the selling club that you'll pay £10m up front then £20m over two years, it's still a £30m asset that belongs to the club once they've signed their contract.

Thanks for the explanation, very interesting to know how this stuff actually works.

Do you know if a club bought a player for £100m on a 5 year deal but were sold to another club a year later for £50m then would there be a £30m write down of the asset at that point as it would still be valued at £80m on the books?

Wondering if this could be a reason why more high valued players get loaned out these days as the clubs can't afford the write down triggered FFP rules.

1 minute ago, Eveready said:

Thanks for the explanation, very interesting to know how this stuff actually works.

Do you know if a club bought a player for £100m on a 5 year deal but were sold to another club a year later for £50m then would there be a £30m write down of the asset at that point as it would still be valued at £80m on the books?

Wondering if this could be a reason why more high valued players get loaned out these days as the clubs can't afford the write down triggered FFP rules.

Yeah exactly right. It's more accountancy than Football Manager and, up until six months ago, totally irrelevant to us NUFC fans ;D

Arsenal and Villa spent 150m this year on transfers. 

It’s not an astronomical amount. 

if there’s seemingly good deals to bring in 5-6 first teamers at an average of £40m we should do it. 

In the starting 11 we have 3 glaring holes (CM, RM, ST). Could easily upgrade at GK, CB and CM. And if the offer is good enough we could do with another forward and CB too. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Arsenal and Villa spent 150m this year on transfers. 

It’s not an astronomical amount.

This is a great point. We're not talking about anything that out of the ordinary when people mention £200 million, particularly when you look at the squad pre-takeover. It's only a ridiculous amount when compared to us under Ashley. 

Guest HTT II

We were willing to spend 130m + in January, we will spend 200m + including player sales in the summer and I expect we have deals lined up already that were in place in January…

2 minutes ago, macphisto said:

This is a great point. We're not talking about anything that out of the ordinary when people mention £200 million, particularly when you look at the squad pre-takeover. It's only a ridiculous amount when compared to us under Ashley. 

They also got £100m in for one player [emoji38]

We need to remember that January was also a very desperate situation at the time but I know the summer window is generally more easy going so it might balance that out a bit.