More transfer rumours

midds

That's why I suggested that if we could just get another 2 like Tripper and Bruno, of that standard, it would be a successful window. Provided we reinforce the squad too.

I actually think another CM seems probably our easiest area to target. It's strikers and CBs where I'm unsure we will find anyone good enough.

A top striker with enough quality and experience to hit the ground running is something we badly need but will cost the earth (probably 60m+, not that we won't have the funds). Huge fan of Nunez, reminds me of a pacy Berbatov and we certainly have the money, but wage structure and lack of Europe will surely hamper going after those elite types, especially in CF position.

I don't know who is realistic, Isak maybe? Shick? A striker closer to home like DCL? We can't rely on Wilson, good as he is. He'd be a top partner/cover for a new forward though, especially since he only plays 20-25 games a season.

14 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

A top striker with enough quality and experience to hit the ground running is something we badly need but will cost the earth (probably 60m+, not that we won't have the funds). Huge fan of Nunez, reminds me of a pacy Berbatov and we certainly have the money, but wage structure and lack of Europe will surely hamper going after those elite types, especially in CF position.

I don't know who is realistic, Isak maybe? Shick? A striker closer to home like DCL? We can't rely on Wilson, good as he is. He'd be a top partner/cover for a new forward though, especially since he only plays 20-25 games a season.

I have always been a huge fan of Wilson, but he is made of glass and can’t be relied upon. We need three top players in the central spine of the team (defender, midfielder and striker). A top quality striker arriving to take the starting spot is essential with Wilson and Wood coming off the bench 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'm just looking forward to being gutted about missing out on players I wasn't aware of 3 weeks earlier.

At least you'll know the attempts to sign him were genuine, instead of a smokescreen to keep the masses happy and sell season tickets based on nothing substantial at all

6 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

At least you'll know the attempts to sign him were genuine, instead of a smokescreen to keep the masses happy and sell season tickets based on nothing substantial at all

Ah god yeah, I'm being serious as well! Even that long stretch of frustration between signing Wood and signing Bruno was still loads of fun. Think I became aware of about 50 players more than I was in December.

I’m as guilty as anyone for watching the Paqueta highlight reel and thinking sign him up. However, I have this feeling he might be like a lot of flair players and a bit inconsistent, slightly concerns me that Lyon would drop him for their biggest game of the season.

We clearly need someone to unlock the door moving forward, but for 50 million i’d rather see that go on a top striker or centre half to strengthen the spine of team.

4 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I’m as guilty as anyone for watching the Paqueta highlight reel and thinking sign him up. However, I have this feeling he might be like a lot of flair players and a bit inconsistent, slightly concerns me that Lyon would drop him for their biggest game of the season.

We clearly need someone to unlock the door moving forward, but for 50 million i’d rather see that go on a top striker or centre half to strengthen the spine of team.

He wasn't dropped, there was a covid issue apparently.

5 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

He has covid that's why he didn't start.

6 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Would splash the whole budget on a striker and a wide player. The biggest problem positions we have going into next season.

Guest HTT II

We need a dominant quick and powerful ball playing CB, the same kind of defensive midfielder and a top CF to give us a true quality spine to the team.

3 minutes ago, HTT II said:

We need a dominant quick and powerful ball playing CB, the same kind of defensive midfielder and a top CF to give us a true quality spine to the team.

Definitely if where spending big money get the spine right first, then the flair can be added later on. 

Bremer, Haidara and Nunez would give us a real core to build around for next few years.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10720431/Why-Newcastle-consider-selling-fan-favourite-Allan-Saint-Maximin.html (Craig Hope) 

Why would Newcastle United consider selling a player who is a favourite of supporters and, on his day, one of the most exciting in the Premier League?

Sources say the club could be open to offers for Allan Saint-Maximin this summer, with a fee in the region of £50million mooted.

The answer to the above is multi-layered but, primarily, lies in the want to generate funds to stay ahead of spending regulations.

It may surprise some given the wealth behind the Saudi-led ownership, but there is talk of an initial transfer budget of around £60-80million this summer being supplemented by player sales, with the purchase of a striker the absolute priority.

The point is, Newcastle do not need to sell him. But if a calculation is made and there is a feeling that the sale of any player would represent value and allow other areas to be strengthened significantly, then even the likes of Saint-Maximin will not be immune.

5 hours ago, STM said:

I wouldn't snub Zaha, Raphinha or Phillips. I'd absolutely love the latter two.

Zaha would be a decent signing but I'd not see much value in going after him age wise.

Out of interest @The College Dropoutwho would be your main targets, given the choice?

I don’t watch enough European football. 

id love those 3. I like the look of Nunez.  If we could do something about the wages, I would love Werner. He’s been excellent recently has Nathan Ake and id take him too. 

if at all possible I would get in Poch as head coach.  

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Who would buy ASM for £50m? He’s scored 5 goals. 

I think many teams buy players for roles and skills, not just goals. No idea if anyone would want him at 50M.

1 hour ago, McDog said:

I think many teams buy players for roles and skills, not just goals. No idea if anyone would want him at 50M.

Everton love to overspend on players, we could probably convince them if they stay up.

8 minutes ago, mikejaxer said:

Everton love to overspend on players, we could probably convince them if they stay up.

They got some FFP issues so ...........and you are right.....

9 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I don’t watch enough European football. 

id love those 3. I like the look of Nunez.  If we could do something about the wages, I would love Werner. He’s been excellent recently has Nathan Ake and id take him too. 

if at all possible I would get in Poch as head coach.  

I’d love Werner here too. As long as the crowd don’t turn on him for not scoring every game. Him and Nunez would be dream territory.

oh and @STM nothing wrong with a man crush on Bruno. I’m there.