More transfer rumours

midds

2 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Players win games 

Short term yes. I'd still rather have the better manager long term, and I still believe that's Howe.

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

Do you think Villa are playing a dangerous game making these sort of signings? It could be another Everton where they have a good season then it deteriorates quite quickly. I don't know how many of their squad are close to 30 having said that. I mean we paid £25m for Wood and he's pushing that, but I guess we were desperate at the time. I think Burn is 29 as well?

Yeah we were desperate in January so it's excusable from a pragmatic point of view in those circumstances. But you can already see what a deadweight Wood is. Clearly massively on the downward as a player and we've basically lost a load of money for little return.

I think you can do it now and again, and accept the money spent for returns on the pitch, but as a general model in the short term I would definitely be targeting younger players now. Look at the age profile that City and Liverpool go for in general. They spend big but at the right point. It means when circumstances change they can shift the players on - look at the fees City got for Sane and Torres for example. 

5 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Yeah we were desperate in January so it's excusable from a pragmatic point of view in those circumstances. But you can already see what a deadweight Wood is. Clearly massively on the downward as a player and we've basically lost a load of money for little return.

I think you can do it now and again, and accept the money spent for returns on the pitch, but as a general model in the short term I would definitely be targeting younger players now. Look at the age profile that City and Liverpool go for in general. They spend big but at the right point. It means when circumstances change they can shift the players on - look at the fees City got for Sane and Torres for example. 

Yes it's frustrating to watch other teams take advantage, but we stayed up, I guess we'll have to bite our lip and realise this is a long game. Might not prevail next season, but over the next 2-3 hopefully we'll see significant progression which will build for the long term.

11 minutes ago, TRon said:

Do you think Villa are playing a dangerous game making these sort of signings? It could be another Everton where they have a good season then it deteriorates quite quickly. I don't know how many of their squad are close to 30 having said that. I mean we paid £25m for Wood and he's pushing that, but I guess we were desperate at the time. I think Burn is 29 as well?

And Trippier. As well as the policy of extending player contracts before that under Ashley just to avoid spending on new players.

If it's reliable, then according to Transfer market (or whatever it's called), we've got one of the highest age squads in the PL at 28.5.

We really need to freshen it up, and if we want to spend big money, then while the odd bit of experience is great and it's got to be taken case by case, in general I'd rather spend that on a 25 year old rather than a 30 year old.

NB, Burnley's average age was higher at 30 but they're gone now.

Villa had an average squad age of around 26.2, over two years younger on average than us, so less of a risk to them I'd guess.

32 minutes ago, TRon said:

Kind of pissed off that they seem to be chasing the same targets we are, and getting them ahead of us. They won the race for Digne as well.

There is no evidence that they are chasing the same targets as us. Digne, yes but as has already been pointed out, Rafa warned us off him.

Diego Carlos wasn't even our first choice in January, he was an after thought when Botman became difficult. There's zero evidence to suggest that he was even wanted by us this summer. I'd guess we are looking for someone younger.

Who else is there? Kamara we were never in for according to local journalists. That doesn't mean to say we weren't aware of him.

Villa are doing some great early business but wait and see who our targets are before getting worried. :thup:

Fwiw

i still prefer our owners and manager ahead of anyone else’s 

I love the ambition and new plans 

I am just saying villa have had a great start to the window 

I don’t get all the comments slating other teams when they sign decent players and players we would like to sign 

it’s good to have competition 

Villa have the advantage of being quite a few steps ahead of us in most departments. They have the scouting network, director of football and all those kind of back room positions filled and working together for considerablely longer than us.

I'd still rather be in our position obviously as Gerrard is not going to be a top level manager anytime soon.

I’d be amazed if we went in for Mings. Huge price tag for a player who consistently makes major errors. I think we’ll be in for Botman and if that fails we’ll find an alternative in Europe 

Doubtful we'd be in for Mings, despite Howe's admiration of him in the past. Konsa is injured and will miss the start of Villa's season so they probably need him anyway. I'd like to see us go for Badiashile if Botman is a non-starter. He was supposed to be going to Milan but haven't heard any more on that.

Edited by LionOfGosforth

13 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Doubtful we'd be in for Mings, despite Howe's admiration of him in the past. Konsa is injured and will miss the start of Villa's season so they probably need him anyway. I'd like to see us go for Badiashile if Botman is a non-starter. He was supposed to be going to Milan but haven't heard any more on that.

Milan were going to be taken over by a Bahraini investment fund Investcorp but looks like an American fund Redbird has won the race, Redbird hold a stake in Liverpool’s owners FSG. Don’t know if that affects their transfer plans.

If I was a Villa fan I’d be delighted with their direction and on the basis of the window so far they’ll be a contender for a top 8 spot which is annoying. Hopefully some of the new signings struggle to make the transition to the PL and Digne goes off in a huff. Would love to see Gerrard out on his arse before the end of next season 

Personally think we will sign players under age of 26 mostly due to age of the squad. 

Season has just finished and will take few weeks to sign players and I bet we end up in a much stronger position or at least as strong as villa do based on nothing other than the Owners having ambition.