More transfer rumours

midds

There's only a handful of journos worth following. Generally speaking Ornstein and Romano don't get much wrong. When it comes to NUFC, I'd say:

Chris Waugh - will only report something it's 100% verified so tends to recycle old material.

Craig Hope - gets a fair bit right, but also tends to do a fair bit of guesswork when it comes to transfers.

Luke Edwards - gets the occasional scoop right, but tends to be unreliable on the whole. Loves an overly negative piece to rile fans up.

Simon Bird - one of the worst NUFC journos going when it comes to accuracy.

Lee Ryder - like Waugh, usually late to the party as he likes to have his transfer news locked in.

Keith Downey and Pete Graves - hit and miss.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

IIRC, the Bournemouth fans that have been on here (who'd I'd trust the opinion of more than anyone on here) all say that Jordan Ibe is his only out-and-out failure in the transfer market. Even his other buys that didn't work out either worked out eventually (at Bournemouth or elsewhere) or recouped their fee/made a profit.

I think we’ve been through this a fair bit, his signings weren’t anywhere near as bad as made out. Especially considering he could only choose from players who would sign for Bournemouth. 

Its fairly irrelevant given we don’t know who is picking the players or what anyone’s priorities are.  

I disagree that Edwards is negative, I'd say he's a blatant contrarian. It just seems that he's negative all the time at the moment because most of what's coming out of the club and the feeling among fans at the moment is positive.

It was clear as day that that was the case when there was that big wait for another signing after Chris Wood, there was a fair bit of negativity and he immediately put out a piece with a positive spin on how things were going.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I disagree that Edwards is negative, I'd say he's a blatant contrarian. It just seems that he's negative all the time at the moment because most of what's coming out of the club and the feeling among fans at the moment is positive.

It was clear as day that that was the case when there was that big wait for another signing after Chris Wood, there was a fair bit of negativity and he immediately put out a piece with a positive spin on how things were going.

He does it to pay for the wine.

We just need to chill a little I think. The transfer window isnt even open until 10th June and its open until the end of August. I have confidence these owners will deliver exactly what we need before the deadline.

Luke the prat saying we won't be paying 60 million for Diaby and have walked away, in reality means we're not paying that, but there's plenty of time to negotiate.

Let's just wait and see what happens...

2 minutes ago, Scoot said:

We just need to chill a little I think. The transfer window isnt even open until 10th June and its open until the end of August. I have confidence these owners will deliver exactly what we need before the deadline.

Luke the prat saying we won't be paying 60 million for Diaby and have walked away, in reality means we're not paying that, but there's plenty of time to negotiate.

Let's just wait and see what happens...

Yep. I'm excited to see who arrives. I'm not excited to see how many players we can be linked with.

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

That's fair :thup:

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I assume nobody would even be mentioning Ake if he hadn’t played for Bournemouth anyway. 

Or more specifically - signed by Howe before.

Since Howe came we've either bid or been heavily linked to Botman, Diego Carlos, Lodi, Paqueta, Bruno, Hugo, Diaby amongst others. How you draw the conclusion that's he's obsessed with the British market from his time here is baffling :lol: 

Haven't we been mostly linked to players from abroad anyway? :lol:

Just because there are a couple of links to British based players now, I'd hardly call it a British obsession from Howe. We all know that Burn, and probably Target as well, were far from the top of our list in January and were only signed because we failed to get our initial targets. 

19 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Sometimes I didn’t even realise they were open. 

Haha those moments on deadline day where despite nothing happening in years, we were all full of optimism we might sign someone half decent before the window closed.

[emoji38]

I doubt EH has the final say on transfers tbh. He’ll be consulted but we have a chief scout and a man with lots of contacts. No doubt EH will be asked for his opinion but I doubt he can either insist on a signing or veto a player the rest are set on.

Pretty sure it's been stated that Howe will have the final say, as he should, given he's the one that has to work with them and get results. Don't understand any concern with him having the final say either. Having said that, I'm sure he won't be dismissive of any feedback or suggestions from the other parties involved in scouting etc. as he's a pretty balanced guy and not some ego maniac.

image.png

Edited by KaKa

"Final say" gives me nightmares. It's such an old way of thinking about transfers and from the Keegan debacle was always made into this huge thing for Newcastle. "Final say" should always be a collaborative effort.