More transfer rumours

midds

42 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I think City will run away with the league, closely followed by LFC, Spurs will be very strong next season, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd will all flatter to deceive and it will be a toss up between them 3 who finishes 4th with one team capable, outside of them, gatecrashing the top 4, it won’t be us. I think Villa will be very inconsistent and I can see them mid-table come January. If Brighton can sign a true goalscorer they could have a stellar season. 

Losing Bissouma is a massive loss, I can see Brighton struggling this year. 

2 hours ago, gazza ladra said:

We finished 7 points behind West Ham last season. Say we won the Everton and Chelsea games, which we arguably could/should have won. That’s puts us one point off 7th place. And that’s with a half season of Bruce in charge.

Edit: What STM said.

It's a bit silly and unrealistic to say "well what if we won these games we dominated?" without on the flip side acknowledging that we maybe should've lost or drawn some games we maybe unfairly snatched.

It generally balances itself out and you cannot cherry pick like that.

2 hours ago, ManDoon said:

I really think Broja just suffered from a)being young and inconsistent b)Southampton having those weird patches of form. 

I think he would do well here. The Mitro but mobile comparison is bang on imo

Mitro had a track record of regularly scoring. Broja doesn't.

He looks like a player when it all clicks. But most of the time when I saw him - it didn't click at all. He didn't look any sort of player in the secod half of the season.

Maybe it's better the devil you don't know. But I prefer Hugo E.

I think we need 3 Bruno signigs to trouble the top 7.

Pope

Trippier Schar Burn Targett

Bruno Shelvey Joelintion

Fraser Wilson ASM

With Wood, Willock, Krafh, Lascelles, Almiron backing it up.

Thoroughly midtable team. Aggresively midtable.

One thing I don't like about the Botman deal. Is that defence is already slow. None of the players there are quick for their positions. We need a defender that can run so we can sometimes play a high line.

Likewise we need a Joelinton that can play a bit more.

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Pope

Bruno Shelvey Joelintion

Fraser Wilson ASM

One thing I don't like about the Botman deal. Is that defence is already slow. None of the players there are quick for their positions. We need a defender that can run so we can sometimes play a high line.

We will have a Joelinton with an Eddie Howe pre-season. Chances are, we'll be seeing a Joelinton who can play a bit more next year. 

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Pope

Bruno Shelvey Joelintion

Fraser Wilson ASM

We cannot go into this season with Fraser being a guaranteed starter - i'm not even sure he's PL quality. And Wilson with Wood backup is frightening.

2 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

We cannot go into this season with Fraser being a guaranteed starter - i'm not even sure he's PL quality. And Wilson with Wood backup is frightening.

We have had a poor window of those things happen imo 

7 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Let's not forget that our form from January was top 4 form so I don't agree the current squad is midtable!!

2 hours ago, STM said:

We were 7 points off that position last year and we were missing Wilson for most of it.

There are countless factors that can dictate where we finish, injuries being one of them but I'd say with a fit Wilson for 75% of the season, we will finish top 8. Its clear that we need a second striker to mitigate for his absence.

As we have seen with Bruno, one signing can be transformative. Who that or them signings would be, God knows.

One main factor is everyone else is going to strengthen in and around us 

Look at Villa, Chelsea  Arsenal and Spurs 

they will definitely strengthen 

Southampton made a few cheeky signings already 

2 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

We would have finished sixth if we had averaged the points per game Howe accumulated in the last 25 games, over the course of the whole season. So we are not far away really. 

Yeah - that sounds good (however watch everyone else strengthen)

can’t stand still

Our squad is (ageing)  and we have not much strength in depth to sustain a full season push to 8th / 7th 

Cant standstill 

2 minutes ago, Ankles Bennett said:

Let's not forget that our form from January was top 4 form so I don't agree the current squad is midtable!!

Current team is top 6-8 I think. Current squad is around 12th. Our backup options are awful. Injuries to Bruno and Wilson and we're in the shit.

3 minutes ago, Ankles Bennett said:

Top 4 if we carried on the same form (hard to maintain all season) 

everyone else will strengthen 

teams will also be learning how we play 

33 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

It's a bit silly and unrealistic to say "well what if we won these games we dominated?" without on the flip side acknowledging that we maybe should've lost or drawn some games we maybe unfairly snatched.

It generally balances itself out and you cannot cherry pick like that.

The point was that even with our terrible start, we could have very easily finished 7th with the current squad.  It doesn’t always balance out. The 2011-12 team had nothing but good luck.

We had a lot of intangibles going our way 2nd half of the season.

Momentum after that first win, exciting signings helping the atmosphere, lots of players playing for new contracts, players playing for a future at the club.

If we line up with Schar, Shelvey, Burn, Fraser, Wilson all first XI members a lot of that will dissapear. 

28 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Pope

Bruno Shelvey Joelintion

Fraser Wilson ASM

Not at all mid-table in terms of last season’s 2022 results. Look where we would have finished if the season started at Xmas (in comparison to actual top 8 finishers). League table below (games played, points accrued since Xmas, followed by average points per game; which is used to determine league position for 2022 games):

Liverpool 18, 50, 2.78

Man City 17, 40, 2.35

NUFC…….19, 39, 2.05 

Spurs…….20, 38, 1.90

Arsenal….18, 34, 1.89

Chelsea…17, 31, 1.82

Man Utd..19, 27, 1.42

Leicester 20, 27, 1.35

WestHam 18, 22, 1.22

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

We had a lot of intangibles going our way 2nd half of the season.

Momentum after that first win, exciting signings helping the atmosphere, lots of players playing for new contracts, players playing for a future at the club.

If we line up with Schar, Shelvey, Burn, Fraser, Wilson all first XI members a lot of that will dissapear. 

I expect all but fraser to start the game v forest

1 minute ago, gazza ladra said:

The point was that even with our terrible start, we could have very easily finished 7th with the current squad.  It doesn’t always balance out. The 2011-12 team had nothing but good luck.

2012 team had a lot more talent and match winners.

Give me HBA, Cisse and Ba upfront. I'd take Cabaye and Tiote in midfield with Bruno. Colo & that seasons Krul for sure.