More transfer rumours

midds

Just now, KaKa said:

This place is something else ... you would actually be happy to go and spend a fee and significant wages on a 31 year old Wijnaldum. God forbid!!!

I though PSG were desperate to get rid. If it’s not a big fee I don’t see age as an issue personally.

I could see politics getting in the way of us dealing with PSG anyway.

Just now, Unbelievable said:

What would you propose?

A player on a par or better than Wilson will take his place and may force him out the door.

A young understudy may not yet be good enough.

Ultimately, if we are to progress as a club, there needs to be competition for places and the players will have to welcome it or be replaced by better ones.

Personally I would be looking at a player with at least the same standing as Wilson. Unfortunately you cannot rely on Wilson to be fit. I would also be looking at a younger player also. Whether that happens I can't honestly say, we will see at the end of the window (possibly not). Your last point sums it up perfectly, players have to realise the club is looking to progress and will therefore look for a higher level player to replace/compete.

Just now, Kimbo said:

I though PSG were desperate to get rid. If it’s not a big fee I don’t see age as an issue personally.

I could see politics getting in the way of us dealing with PSG anyway.

I just think there are loads of other up and coming talents who would be far more energised and motivated to join what we are currently building.

Why go and bring in this older guy that is on his way down, and who could hardly get a kick at PSG last year. No thanks.

We've got to move past all these 'names' just because they are well known. There are other younger players coming through that we need to identify and go and sign. Just because they aren't house hold names yet, doesn't mean they don't exist. It's up to our scouting and DOF to go and get them.

That midfielder Palace just signed is very highly rated, and they 've got him for just £23 million or so from Lens. We can't have Palace signing those kind of players while we go signing Wijnaldum at 31 years old man. Then in a year we'll be wanting to sign him off Palace for £60 million when he does well, which would be ridiculous.

Just now, KaKa said:

Why go and bring in this older guy that is on his way down, and who could hardly get a kick at PSG last year. No thanks.

hardly a stick to beat him with that.

not sure if I'd take him, but thought he was class in the Euros.

5 minutes ago, James said:

Wijnaldum was our 15/16 season equivalent of Michael Owen.

I passionately despise him

I don't despise him but I didn't like him for us at all.

I don't think he would come either.

But - I would take him him on loan for sure. In a midfield 3 Bruno - Shelvey  Gini or Gini - Bruno - Joe. I like it.

19 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Not many getting wood at the thought of that. 

But I can guarantee you that Howe will still see Wood as the back up for Wilson regardless of what we think of him, and I don't rate him at all. Realistically we aren't going to be spending £60m to bring in a replacement for Wilson, even assuming one was available. It will be someone along the Ekiteke mode who can be an understudy, or possibly play alongside him.

24 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

What if he misses half the season though again. Say we get a promising young striker, but is then thrust into being a regular as a result of Wilson being off long term again. Very dangerous position that mind as the exact same thing happened with Jon Dahl Tomasson.

I love the way everyone acts as if Wood doesn't exist because none of us rate him. It's wishful thinking really.

Whether any of us like it or not, the manager is going to use him, and not just throw him away. He just paid £25 million for him a few months ago, and will use him as part of the squad, which is why they are looking at bringing in a younger striker. 

Best case scenario, which we all need to be praying for, is that Wilson stays relatively healthy, and that whichever young striker we bring in also makes such an impact, that he then clearly moves ahead of Wood in the pecking order.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

I love the way everyone acts as if Wood doesn't exist because none of us rate him. It's wishful thinking really.

Whether any of us like it or not, the manager is going to use him, and not just throw him away. He just paid £25 million for him a few months ago, and will use him as part of the squad, which is why they are looking at bringing in a younger striker. 

Best case scenario, which we all need to be praying for, is that Wilson stays relatively healthy, and that whichever young striker we bring in also makes such an impact, that he then clearly moves ahead of Wood in the pecking order.

Yep.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I just think there are loads of other up and coming talents who would be far more energised and motivated to join what we are currently building.

We've got to move past all these 'names' just because they are well known. There are other younger players coming through that we need to identify and go and sign. Just because they aren't house hold names yet, doesn't mean they don't exist. It's up to our scouting and DOF to go and get them.

That midfielder Palace just signed is very highly rated, and they 've got him for just £23 million or so from Lens. We can't have Palace signing those kind of players while we go signing Wijnaldum at 31 years old man. Then in a year we'll be wanting to sign him off Palace for £60 million when he does well, which would be ridiculous.

I would rather spend money on a young up and comer as well, but I have strong doubts it will happen this window with it being less of a priority than a winger and a forward.

6 minutes ago, Big River said:

hardly a stick to beat him with that.

not sure if I'd take him, but thought he was class in the Euros.

But why ... you guys act as though no other players exist out there. Best case scenario we get a couple of seasons out of him, before we then need to go and get a younger player anyway. He's hardly a world class player either, so there's just no need for it man.

I think it's an awful idea. Let Gini stay where he is on the bench. Couldn't believe he turned down Barcelona to join them last year. We shouldn't be the one's to go pulling him out of that mess.

6 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Wilson has never and won’t ever stay fit, it would be poor planning to rely on him.

5 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

I would rather spend money on a young up and comer as well, but I have strong doubts it will happen this window with it being less of a priority than a winger and a forward.

Stop having doubts. They will get to it eventually. Wijnaldum is not the answer.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Wilson has never and won’t ever stay fit, it would be poor planning to rely on him.

We aren't planning on relying on him though, that's why we were chasing Ekiteke. I'm sure there will be alternatives as well if that one is dead. I just don't think it's going to be a Darwin Nunez calibre striker, partly because those aren't available to us yet.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

You maybe right, he's still absolute shit. If we're relying on Wood as backup to Wilson again and Wilson gets another long term injury, then it's going to be a long frustrating season. I think it's a massive gamble (niave at best) to rely on Wilson being fit. We will see what happens come 1st September though. 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

It's certainly a terrifying prospect, but unfortunately, even though we see it as possibly relying on him too much, by having Wilson, Wood and a younger talented striker, the manager will not be looking at it the same way. He will view Wood as a viable option upfront for now.

Just now, et tu brute said:

You maybe right, he's still absolute shit. If we're relying on Wood as backup to Wilson again and Wilson gets another long term injury, then it's going to be a long frustrating season. I think it's a massive gamble (niave at best) to rely on Wilson being fit. We will see what happens come 1st September though. 

Yeah, it's rough. But I'm willing to patient about it, he'll get replaced soon enough. There's only so much we can do at once, and because he only just came in January, I don't see it being a priority. Hopefully, we land a younger striker that's a bit special, and pushes ahead of Wood.

16 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

Gini replacing Joelinton? The Wijnaldum that played for Newcastle would never do that sort of work. 

Aye, but a midfield of Bruno, Big Joe, coupled with the experience/class of GG? Add  favoured two wide players/forwards and a central striker… tasty. 

27 minutes ago, KaKa said:

But why ... you guys act as though no other players exist out there. Best case scenario we get a couple of seasons out of him, before we then need to go and get a younger player anyway. He's hardly a world class player either, so there's just no need for it man.

I think it's an awful idea. Let Gini stay where he is on the bench. Couldn't believe he turned down Barcelona to join them last year. We shouldn't be the one's to go pulling him out of that mess.

Kaka dropping truth bombs left right and centre with this and the Wood comments [emoji38]