More transfer rumours

midds

If we had this lad in our sights for 12 months time, we might have to bite the bullet and pull the transfer forward to prevent Arsenal nicking him.

I'd like to think that we are having conversations about it.

9 minutes ago, madras said:

Joelinton will eventually be a squad player. He can cover a few positions and will give strength coming off the bench.

He will, but for the short term you'd imagine he's gonna be one of the first names on the teamsheet so fitting square pegs into round holes doesn't seem like an Eddie Howe type move. 

53 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

Exactly. Imagine how many more goals he would have scored if he was free to move up if he wasn’t tasked with more defensive responsibilities. That’s why it’s a waste of his skills to play him in front of the defenders. 

I think his goals last season is more likely to be a freak run of goals rather than what we can expect from him going forward. The previous 7 seasons the best he has put up is 3 goals in 33 games. His natural game is further back on the pitch.

13 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Ederson

Walker Laporte Dias Cancelo

Phillips

KdB         Gündogan 

Mahrez Haaland Foden

Something like that I guess. Obviously with heavy rotation and very fluid in attack 

So we could replicate that, Man City's squad looks amazing, Liverpool are a great team but a couple of injury away from disaster

4 minutes ago, STM said:

If we had this lad in our sights for 12 months time, we might have to bite the bullet and pull the transfer forward to prevent Arsenal nicking him.

I'd like to think that we are having conversations about it.

Something has happened to make him request to leave Lyon. Wether that be arsenal or us talking to him. Didn’t he tweet at start or summer hinting he was staying at Lyon next season. Something has changed his mind 

I think that with the other midfielders we had in our squad it made sense to play Bruno further up the field as he was head and shoulders above anyone else in terms of ability to create in the final third. Couple that with Shelvey's distribution being really good in the deep lying role and it made a lot of sense.

Were we to sign someone like Paqueta then we'd have another player on (or above, from what some have said) Bruno's creative level that would allow Bruno to operate from deep.

Think Bruno could be fantastic in the role we saw Shelvey in under Howe last year. He's basically better than Shelvey at all the things Shelvey is good at while not having the weaknesses that Jonjo has. Having a defensively solid holding midfielder who is also fantastic on the ball would be a huge asset in terms of our ball retention.

If we did sign Paqueta, a Bruno-Joe-Paqueta trio could work well IMO. Paqueta would obviously be the most advanced of the three, Bruno as the deep lying playmaker and Joe just charging around the pitch wrecking people.

On paper you'd have Bruno as the deepest of the three but in practice he'd basically be going where the ball goes and looking to always be available for the pass. You'd want Joelinton bursting forward whenever we're on the counter attack obviously but in situations where we have possession in the final third I'd like to see him then drop deep and sit in the holding role ready to break up any counter attacks which would give Bruno more license to get forward.

Out of possession you'd have Bruno the deepest of the three and Joe and Paqueta pressing further up field. Paqueta is supposed very strong in this regard and we know Joe is.

It's all about having players the complement each other well in the midfield trio and on paper I do think that trio looks tasty. As others have said, I'll be disappointed if we're not willing to spend big if the right player becomes available. By all accounts we have plenty of FFP flexibility over the next few years, even if there is a budget in mind this summer they can go over it somewhat and maybe scale back in a future window if it's really necessary.

Bang on @Shak - perfectly summed up there. 

id be really bummed if we didn’t make the necessary sacrifices to make this deal work. He’s allegedly the player we tracked as long as Bruno and the one we approached first in January. Sign him and we will dominate the ball and impose our will on nearly any team in the league bar City and Liverpool. The Bernardo Silva comparison was class too - he’s good and versatile enough to play 5-6 diff positions. Howe loves versatility. 

I think it’s important to remember that with Joelinton, he became a midfielder mid-season. It would be silly to think that he has reached his peak in that position, I am intrigued to see just how much more he improves in midfield after a full pre season focused on that position. 

I think Joelinton’s engine and his ability to pick up tactical instructions so quickly will allow him to basically be a box to box destroyer and get 6-8 goals this season. If he’s able to stay fit and he’s got Bruno in there with him he’s going to cause a massive amount of problems for opposition midfields. 

5 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I think Joelinton’s engine and his ability to pick up tactical instructions so quickly will allow him to basically be a box to box destroyer and get 6-8 goals this season. If he’s able to stay fit and he’s got Bruno in there with him he’s going to cause a massive amount of problems for opposition midfields. 

He wouldn't get 6-8 goals as a striker :lol:

Bruno , Joelinton and Paqueta would be a exceptional midfield 3. You wouldn't really need a DM that just sits and wins the ball because between the three they cover enough ground, win enough tackles and get enough interceptions for them tmo share the ball winning side of the game between them. All three are what I would call proper CMs that seem to be pretty comfortable doing every aspect of the game needed in midfield instead of beminig pigeon holed like alot of todays midfield players are. 

2 hours ago, madras said:

It's his playing out from the back which changed us more, his ability to retain possession meant we didn't ha e to go long. Bruno is the base or one of a double pivot for me. With more to aim for in front of him his accuracy if passing  will come even more to the fore.

He might not be happy playing there every single game - being a manager is also about managing people.

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Are people really this thick, man? Fucking infuriating.

Wtf? Leave it to an admin to get triggered and infuriated just because someone voiced an opinion over a tactical discussion. 

47 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Good players can adapt 

a midfield 3 of Joelinton , Bruno and Paquetta can definitely work.

all interchangeable and cover each other when required 

All speak the same language as well which will help 

So do willock, murphy, Fraser and shelvey but that’s never helped them.

8 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

So we’ve had 2 separate posters saying they’ll be “disappointed” and “bummed” if we don’t sign Paqueta. My god how we’ve turned into spoiled brats already.

I'm not sure the word 'disappointed' is quite as strong an adjective as you seem to think it is.

Nobody is saying it'll be a disgrace or that anyone needs to be fired, people just think he looks good and hope we sign him. That's it. Hardly outrageous.

6 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

So we’ve had 2 separate posters saying they’ll be “disappointed” and “bummed” if we don’t sign Paqueta. My god how we’ve turned into spoiled brats already.

I'd just be disappointed if we had a genuine chance and we didn't take it.

But I wouldn't be disappointed in general, if we get who else we're after. I'm still like a kid at Christmas.

Admitedly, a kid who might still have a sugar induced tantrum before bedtime.