More transfer rumours

midds

53 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I'm still of the opinion that one poor spell at Chelsea is nothing to go by for any player. They're a weird club, happy to keep finishing 3rd or 4th without ever seemingly trying to push on. It's no surprise some players come from harder working clubs and decide to coast through a few years with them.

I don’t mind getting him but not at 300K ppw. That would unsettle the whole team.

55 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I'm still of the opinion that one poor spell at Chelsea is nothing to go by for any player. They're a weird club, happy to keep finishing 3rd or 4th without ever seemingly trying to push on. It's no surprise some players come from harder working clubs and decide to coast through a few years with them.

They keep trying tbf.

I would take Werner on loan 100%

58 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Not sure they don’t try and push on tbh, they are regularly close to being the biggest spenders. They where considered favourites for the title by loads last season when they bought in Lukaku.  

59 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Not sure about this tbh - the club that won the CL the year before last? :lol: Happy to keep finishing 3rd or 4th? They’re just like most of the top teams - got blown out by Liverpool and Man City last year. What should they have done differently? They spend a fortune every year.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not sure they don’t try and push on tbh, they are regularly close to being the biggest spenders. They where considered favourites for the title by loads last season when they bought in Lukaku.  

Aye, but selling two very good 23 years olds in Tammy Abraham and Fikayo Tomori to then spend and extra 30 million (net transfer fee) on a 28 year old striker who last scored the same amount of league goals as Luka Milivojevic just seems a bit weird to me. They just seem to sign people based on their reputation rather than players who'll actually be a good fit for their system.

I guess changing manager often doesn't really help, maybe that's just it tbh.

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Aye, but selling two very good 23 years olds in Tammy Abraham and Fikayo Tomori to then spend and extra 30 million (net transfer fee) on a 28 year old striker who last scored the same amount of league goals as Luka Milivojevic just seems a bit weird to me. They just seem to sign people based on their reputation rather than players who'll actually be a good fit for their system.

Yeah, that just means they’ve made poor choices rather than that they’re happy to finish 3rd/4th. If that were really true they’d have stuck with the managers for longer. And, again, they won the CL.

13 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Tammy wasn't getting a kick before Lukaku came in anyway. They needed to sell him (because of Tuchel). The Lukaku thing made some sense. Less of a supposed gamble than their other striker options - even at Man U Lukaku scored 16 and 12 league goals - nobody thought he could do worse than 12. 

Tomori wasn't getting a kick either. They wanted to extend Christensen and Rudiger. They also had Sarr & Chalobah coming through.

These ultimately were proven to be poor choices but they all had decent logic behind it.

I don't think Chelsea have done much wrong. They've missed out on the 2 best managers in the world and are behind them both.

Their previous model was a good one. But it has it's limits. Their model wasn't much different to Real's or Bayern's (although they mostly stick to Bundesliga / German managers). Assign a quality squad with some input from the manager but not total control. Get a top quality coach to lead it. Give it a few seasons, when it stops working - replace him with another top quality coach. Rinse and repeat.

15 minutes ago, St1pe said:

I know I’m not the only one in here but I’m desperate for some new, reliable rumours today. 

I feel like ever since Ashworth came on board the ship has been tightened. No more business being done with us being able to follow along with every step. Feel like the next transfer we hear about it will already be at the 95% done mark before anything breaks. 

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I don't think Chelsea have done much wrong. They've missed out on the 2 best managers in the world and are behind them both.

Their previous model was a good one. But it has it's limits. Their model wasn't much different to Real's or Bayern's (although they mostly stick to Bundesliga / German managers). Assign a quality squad with some input from the manager but not total control. Get a top quality coach to lead it. Give it a few seasons, when it stops working - replace him with another top quality coach. Rinse and repeat.

The model was also “spend loads and have your owner bail you out” and then “buy a million players and loan them out, then sell them occasionally to keep balancing the books”.

4 minutes ago, joeyt said:

To be fair players who have come through their academy recently Mount, Chalobah, Abraham, James and Tomori had all been at Chelsea's academy for ages and were homegrown

I meant more that Abramovich spent an absolute fortune on the academy set-up (for example, throwing money at Frank Arnesen to poach him from Spurs). Before 2010, they had won the FA Youth Cup twice, in 1960 and 1961. Of the 13 Cups from 2010 they have won nine and been runners-up twice.

12 minutes ago, Aiston said:

Would be a bit disappointing to go into the season next week without any improvement in our forwards.

Even this thread seems to be pretty dead. The rumours are all a bit random since Ekiteke, we seem to be getting different names chucked in every other day, but without much conviction. Like Julian Draxler for instance. I do think we'll sign at least one forward, but get the feeling it will be closer to the end of the window when the prices might come down and some options open up.

Howe quoted on the Ronny Gill saying they'll look at the loan market, but its a bit early for that. Even then he sounded quite reluctant as "it doesn't give you, unless it's with a view to a permanent signing, the player's heart and soul".

Surely that means Broja on loan isn't a priority as has been suggested by Douglas, et al?

16 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Howe quoted on the Ronny Gill saying they'll look at the loan market, but its a bit early for that. Even then he sounded quite reluctant as "it doesn't give you, unless it's with a view to a permanent signing, the player's heart and soul".

Surely that means Broja on loan isn't a priority as has been suggested by Douglas, et al?

Also contradicts what Waugh has been saying for weeks that we want Borja but only on loan.