More transfer rumours

midds

18 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I'd say the most concrete links we've had this summer have been Diaby, Ekitkike, Botman and Harrison. None of those have had release clauses or running down their contracts and I'd be surprised if the 3 we haven't signed are smokescreens

The other factor is knowing which clubs need money. The Botman deal worked well for all 3 parties. Ekitikie are extremely low wages. Similar with Harrison like I’ve already said. Diaby I’ve no idea how serious that was other than an enquiry and getting quoted twice the price we were willing to pay it seemed.

Can’t see much movement this week ahead of the friendlies but time will tell.

Who do you think we’ll sign?

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

You mention possession based football and that being kind of an identity now for Leicester, but at what point does a club have to deviate from a single core ideal in order to maximise other aspects of the art of, well, winning games and succeeding? We are known as the Entertainers or were, brought up on attacking football under KK and then Sir Bobby and often get derided for craving for that kind of football, but we loved and still do love Rafa, the football I won’t lie was often shit, but there was an identity, clear tactics, hard work, improvements in almost every player and if he had of been backed more, the football would have improved without ever likely being that attractive. Man City are obviously a great team and play attractive football on the eye, but honestly I find their play boring, but maybe that’s just me.

It's the most contradicting thing. How can a team that scores so many goals be so boring? Yet often they are.

I think it's the lack of counter attacking goals due to most teams sitting back, it's their switching left to right and right to left in front of the opposition box ad infinitum.

Honestly I don't know what exactly it is but somehow they're often boring.

The majority of their goals are turd Fifa video game goals where it's a cross on the floor along the box for a tap in.

Now they've got Haaland maybe they'll be more fun to watch.

It's the same reason why people find Spain boring. Strangling possession in a game to the point where the opposition can't even get a foothold in the match, and suffocate them to death, is dull. It's death by a thousand cuts.

If you're a neutral what you like about football usually is that games have a natural to-and-fro. Yes one team may be better and will dominate but there will be transitions and weaknesses that give the other side a chance. And the better side will also hit them on the transitions too.

I actually liked watching Barca under Guardiola but I realised later, particularly when watching the same players for Spain, is I actually just liked watching Messi get the ball all the time. 

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

It's the same reason why people find Spain boring. Strangling possession in a game to the point where the opposition can't even get a foothold in the match, and suffocate them to death, is dull. It's death by a thousand cuts.

If you're a neutral what you like about football usually is that games have a natural to-and-fro. Yes one team may be better and will dominate but there will be transitions and weaknesses that give the other side a chance. And the better side will also hit them on the transitions too.

I actually liked watching Barca under Guardiola but I realised later, particularly when watching the same players for Spain, is I actually just liked watching Messi get the ball all the time. 

I agree with most of  this but I think with Pep’s Barca it was a bit different to his Bayern or Manchester City team. His Barca team was all about quick, short little triangle’s, one- two’s, metronomic passing, perfectly weighted through all’s passing through the eye of a needle that no one else in the stadium or at home saw, with each player being beautifully balanced  and having sublime technique.

Perhaps having Messi in your team allows you to do that but a lot of the credit has to go to Xavi and Iniesta. Not to mention the fact that a lot of these players came through La Masia and had, a great understanding with each other and the style of football that was being asked of them. I think Xavi once said he could play with Iniesta with his eyes closed he just knew where he was going to be all the time. it was obviously the next step on from the philosophy that Cruyff had installed in the club earlier, which meant a team full of academy graduates were going to be to a certain degree well versed in that type of football.

At Pep’s latter clubs, he didn’t have any of that, and I agree that it shows even though it’s still incredibly effective, it doesn’t have any of the beauty of Pep’s Barca. 

Draxler’s lack of a game-time is due to him not wanting to leave Paris. After being touted around for years, he actually took a pay cut to stay there despite being told he’d be mostly a bench-warmer. From a purely footballing perspective you have to question that kind attitude.

That being said, I think he’s a decent player. Slightly slow for a winger but versatile, really clever, good technically and a good presser too. If he’s motivated, I’d take him. 

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

Haven’t watched Draxler closely for a long time. Anyone give an update of where his game’s been at for the last few years? Germans generally translate well to the premier league

If his stats are anything to go by he's not done a lot in French league. Games have got less and less too.

Seems a huge risk, unless it's loan and see how we go I suppose. Rather we went for a young unknown with high potential but will trust Howe and his team whatever they do like.

With that fabulous natural ability, Draxler has to be very tempting. It looks like he needs to recover his motivation and desire, and our Eddie seems to be very good when it comes to getting inside individual players' heads, seeing what drives them and pressing the right buttons.

There seems to have been a bit of turmoil in the player's personal life, and I wonder how easy it would be to tempt him, and his partner, away from the Parisian life. And then there's the issue of his salary, though if we really are in contact with PSG and his agent, presumably the club thinks there's some way forward.

Too many obstacles, in all probability, but I'd love it to happen.

Draxler has barely played for the last three seasons, ~2300 minutes combined in Ligue 1. 6 goals and 9 assists isn't that bad considering the minutes but he has played for a dominant team and often against tired legs. Who knows how he would do in the PL at this stage of his career and whether he even cares anymore.

You would imagine any winger we bring in is left footed with an eye for goal like. Or someone like Harrison who's a decent mix of graft and ability.

Haven't seen Draxler in years, but he seems more suited to a possession based side?

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Guest reefatoon
10 minutes ago, Zero said:

Draxler is not a winger

Which is fine as we don’t play with wingers.

I mean he's played the majority of his minutes on the wings like (even at PSG) so that's a canny mad claim to make, zero.

I suppose him on the right of a midfield 3 would make more sense for us though.

54 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I mean he's played the majority of his minutes on the wings like (even at PSG) so that's a canny mad claim to make, zero.

I suppose him on the right of a midfield 3 would make more sense for us though.

It’s just like Asensio played as a RW for Real Madrid. It’s only possible when they are playing for a very dominant team where such winger in fact is a wide playmaker. This does not apply to us. Our winger position requires traditional winger.

If you think Draxler could work for us, then why not just go for Paqueta? Or we can even try Anderson there.

Edited by Zero

We agree in anycase, I'm saying Draxler is more suited to a possession based side (if out on the wing) where as we need either someone like Harrison or Diaby (both direct, the forner being more rounded, the latter being more attacking). He would probably do a job in a midfield 3 but I would much prefer Paqueta, aye.

16 hours ago, nufc123 said:

Double figures in assists last season not good enough for you?

Maxi loses the ball a lot, but LW is not a problem for us, and certainly would not like to see 50 million spend on someone like Barnes.