More transfer rumours

midds

Just now, madras said:

Take a little bit of an issue with Pope. Apparently he's much more of a sweeper keeper than Dubravka allowing us to squeeze up more.

Interesting to see if that's the plan and if so how much it changes us.

We've not got the defenders, midfielders or attackers to play significantly further up anyway.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

We've not got the defenders, midfielders or attackers to play significantly further up anyway.

We did at times last season, Everton and Arsenal come to mind straight away.

7 minutes ago, madras said:

Take a little bit of an issue with Pope. Apparently he's much more of a sweeper keeper than Dubravka allowing us to squeeze up more.

Interesting to see if that's the plan and if so how much it changes us.

Well it might affect our style a bit, but it's not going to be game changing stuff until we find players who can convert the football into goals at the other end.

18 minutes ago, TRon said:

I think what makes it seem worse is that while all of the signings are very solid, none of them are going to make much of a noticeable difference to the side which finished last season. Botman is obviously a class addition, but our defending was on point even without him. Pope is an England goalkeeper, but Dubravka is a good keeper as well. Targett was here since January so is already part of the furniture.

A couple of good forwards is what we need to complete the team and take us on to the next level.

Yeah I can agree with you there, although I think Botman is potentially a big upgrade over Burn depending on how well he settles into the league/club. I know what you mean though, as a unit they were solid. 

My concern as we get later and later into the window is how many of our top 5ish targets will become unavailable, get the feeling will we be making our way down our shortlists pretty quickly after a certain point.

24 minutes ago, TRon said:

Well it might affect our style a bit, but it's not going to be game changing stuff until we find players who can convert the football into goals at the other end.

Aye, that's why I took a little bit of issue ;)

Getting linked with very underwhelming players just now, plenty time to go in the window yet but I was hoping for a real push this season

(I'm the sole reason fans of other clubs hate us) 

58 minutes ago, TRon said:

I think what makes it seem worse is that while all of the signings are very solid, none of them are going to make much of a noticeable difference to the side which finished last season. Botman is obviously a class addition, but our defending was on point even without him. Pope is an England goalkeeper, but Dubravka is a good keeper as well. Targett was here since January so is already part of the furniture.

A couple of good forwards is what we need to complete the team and take us on to the next level.

I fear the fans lose a bit of momentum. 

Even in a pre-blood/oil money world, it would be highly disappointing not to sign a starting quality forward in this summer, whether it be a wide player or a striker. Both were clear weaknesses last season, there is a spot now with Gayle gone, and ideally it would be time to eliminate one of Murphy, Fraser, or Almiron. I do not think it is unusual at all to be unnerved when it is nearly August and arguably the main target of the transfer window remains unfulfilled. Leicester, West Ham, and Villa are realistic teams to compete with this season and the quality in attacking areas of those sides is markedly superior. 

4 minutes ago, Segun Oluwaniyi said:

Even in a pre-blood/oil money world, it would be highly disappointing not to sign a starting quality forward in this summer, whether it be a wide player or a striker. Both were clear weaknesses last season, there is a spot now with Gayle gone, and ideally it would be time to eliminate one of Murphy, Fraser, or Almiron. I do not think it is unusual at all to be unnerved when it is nearly August and arguably the main target of the transfer window remains unfulfilled. Leicester, West Ham, and Villa are realistic teams to compete with this season and the quality in attacking areas of those sides is markedly superior. 

We’ll sign one. Just how quality they are remains to be seen 

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

Even when Werner was in the Bundesliga it alarmed me that he kicks the ball in a very strange way. It was a red flag at the time and it has carried over to his time in England IMO. I don't agree with the comparisons to Bellamy who I think was a much better allround footballer - although probably less of a goalscorer.

I like his workrate as a player but I just think it's astonishing he is on the kind of wage profile he is and that he's basically Germany's main centre forward.

You keep repeating this, but have you got any examples? I'm assuming there are loads on youtube if you want to link them?

Hard to sit here and bash a few Chelsea players who were all bought for huge numbers under Big Frank Lampard (a real shining example of a good, tactical manager) or even Tuchel. Yes they won the CL but I think many have rightfully pointed out they are hot and cold and they sign players with no real plan for how they'll fit into their systems.

Werner was fantatic under Nagelsmann, where they played to his strengths and really worked with him. 

13 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

You keep repeating this, but have you got any examples? I'm assuming there are loads on youtube if you want to link them?

I don't know. YouTube shows highlights so it will mostly be goals and probably less noticeable.

You just need to watch him play matches. He misses so many chances because of simple bad technique in striking the ball. Very little finesse whatsoever - just hit it to get on target in any way. It's incredibly noticeable for somebody playing at such a high level. At Leipzig it was possibly less important because he a lot more instinctive finishes and/or he just got loads more clear chances in open space.

Edited by ponsaelius

3 hours ago, Nine said:

25 days since we signed Botman, some of us will be crawling up the walls soon :lol:

The one good thing about Djed Spence taking so long is that it’s kept some of our ADHD transfer guys occupied for a while.

Guest HTT II
Just now, The College Dropout said:

Nah Morata’s a very tidy all-round footballer. 

Bit of a mess in the box though!

1 hour ago, Segun Oluwaniyi said:

This for sure.