More transfer rumours

midds

9 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I just want us to sign players or the type of player we need which I’m sure we will, the scale in quality will always fluctuate. Sir Bobby wanted pace and pressing alongside Shearer, we targeted Jeffers, Bellamy and others. He wanted a wide left player with good crossing, we looked at a few and ended up with Robert. At this stage I’d say it’s not about maximum quality, but maximum attributes or rather maximising from a signing what suits our needs most. We need pace, goals and assists from the right and r up top, anyone that can bring that in be it a Diaby or a Cornet will improve us. 

There is no doubt in my mind that Cornet or Sarr would do a great job as stepping stone players. We will need bodies in the future and If they can carry us upwards to be able to sign even better players next season again whilst keeping them as squad players. If we get one of them and a pure pressing forward it will be quite the upgrade. Especially if Miggy has found himself again like Big Joe. 

EDIT:

Im getting fucking desperate for a signing hit though :lol: 

Edited by worthy

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, worthy said:

There is no doubt in my mind that Cornet or Sarr would do a great job as stepping stone players. We will need bodies in the future and If they can carry us upwards to be able to sign even better players next season again whilst keeping them as squad players. If we get one of them and a pure pressing forward it will be quite the upgrade. Especially if Miggy has found himself again like Big Joe. 

That and if they do the business early on and we are then in a position to spend bigger after a few years, we will have good saleable assets or real strength in depth squad wise should we retain them.

Edited by HTT II

4 minutes ago, Paullow said:

You can say we're in a better position than we have been in years, you can add the January business into the equation and count the calendar year etc. and all of that is fine, and true, but if we're being honest, I find it hard to believe m/any Newcastle fans would have expected basically just Botman to have been brought in as an improvement to how we ended last season heading into August, and a week before the new season kicks off.

As a standalone summer transfer window on it's own, the first under the (controversial) new owners, it's definitely been underwhelming up to this point, but hopefully we can get the two new additions in before the end of next month, ideally significantly better than what we already have.

Isn't this a moot point with circa five weeks of the window to go?

5 minutes ago, worthy said:

EDIT:

Im getting fucking desperate for a signing hit though :lol: 

"There is no doubt in my mind that Cornet or Sarr would do a great job as stepping stone players."

So nice to hear that we could get stepping stone players and not the players that will use Newcastle as a stepping stone club anymore.

What a difference a year make.

Howay the lads!!!

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

If we do sign Cornet I think it would be a Demba Ba type of signing, people not overly enthused but ends up doing well. 

I wanted Ba badly after his cameo with West Ham, same with Remy when he was at QPR. Imagine them two today for us now man…

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Not when the season starts next week and the window closes after GW5.

Howe has said that he wants a couple more and in an ideal world we'd have them by now. Without knowing the reasons why, how can we label it?

For all we know the club are chasing a primary long term target and we're holding our nerve, rather than signing a stop gap to appease a few fans with bladder control issues.

Guest HTT II
19 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Worst post I’ve read on here in years, and that’s saying something.

He’s entitled to his opinion, but it’s an awful take. We are so far removed from Ashley right now it’s your username basically.

People need to chill, we may not get our top targets, but I’m confident we’ll sign decent enough attacking players that will improve the first team and with it the squad in general, again I’m told 3 players will be signed before September 1st. 

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Howe has said that he wants a couple more and in an ideal world we'd have them by now. Without knowing the reasons why, how can we label it?

For all we know the club are chasing a primary long term target and we're holding our nerve, rather than signing a stop gap to appease a few fans with bladder control issues.

Stop talking complete sense man and start bleating on like a little bitch.

22 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Isn't this a moot point with circa five weeks of the window to go?

Perhaps, but crucially (for me, anyway) I'm not as confident we'll get them in now, and preferably they would have been in before Forest, whereas I was proper buzzing just after the Burnley match and really excited for the summer ahead, and try and differentiate ourselves from some of the middle pack clubs.

Even if we didn't have much chance of getting him, I was expecting stuff like 'Newcastle's new owners have identified Saka as their ideal (marquee) signing, and will go all out to get their man'.  I was hoping for a couple of Bruno type signings, players I'd never heard of, but 23/24 y/o playing in a decent league, 30/40m, possibly dropping down a level, and be seen generally as a real coup, and a statement. The likes of Harrison, Cornet etc. aren't much better than we have, and could be linked with any club from 10-14 or so in the table. 

Time will tell I guess, but the optimism is definitely a lot lower than it was for me, and I don't think it's wrong, or demanding, to have expected far more at this stage, especially from such a significant and controversial ownership taking over.

Edited by Paullow

Cornet would be a decent signing. Did okay Burnley and If Mcneil is worth 20m than 17.5m for Cornet is a bargain.

Can play LB as well if needed in a desperate situation. 

Guest HTT II

I think we’ve got serious bids put in for about 5 or so players now, some our top end targets, some not so, and it’s just a waiting game now. We will obviously have to make a move soon and make a clear decision as to who we either forget about, go crazy on, or drop down our list and push for. 

I can't see the window up to now as anything but underwhelming. Maybe the new owners will put something out of the bag but we are now nailed to line up with only Botman and possibly Pope as new players for the first PL game of the season.

Before anyone pisses their knickers, yes I know the window is still open but managers want players in as early as possible, Rafa would be doing his nut in now as he always wanted time to fully integrate new players.

We’ve signed the two positions that need the most bedding in out of all. If we sign a right winger 3 days before Forest, I see no issue on him missing pre season training here as long as he’s had a good pre season somewhere. He’ll be good to go. Plenty of time left. 

Going back to the season starting. A few clubs have a majority of their business done in time for the window. It looks like City, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal are just about done. As are Forest and Leeds.

The four latter clubs are also aiming for players at the top end of the market, but these are well ran, established clubs who will have been lining up deals for months in advance.

We didn't know what division we were in until April, our sporting director wasn't appointed until June and one of our primary targets opted for another club. 

As Howe says, in an ideal world our business would have been done by now, but with the amount of disruption we've had and knowing how unpredictable the transfer market is, its not entirely surprising that we haven't. We know the club are still grafting to get business done and I have no doubt the squad will be in a better place in five weeks time.

20 minutes ago, Toon No9 said:

"There is no doubt in my mind that Cornet or Sarr would do a great job as stepping stone players."

So nice to hear that we could get stepping stone players and not the players that will use Newcastle as a stepping stone club anymore.

What a difference a year make.

Howay the lads!!!

From a sporting viewpoint, when we start getting our new facilities for training and youth setup, I think that it will show players that this is a long term project that aims at competing at the highest level, some players definitely would also like to try to get in on it early as long as its sold correctly to the player (Botman, Bruno G). It is amazing how we have fast tracked from just being there to starting to become a well run organization that hopefully will reap benefits in the upcoming years. But, of course I would like to see some truly amazing talent line up with the two mentioned already. And with Trippier being some sort of ambassador for us in some regards it looks like a bright future.

But as most people I want to see the progress faster, even though I know it wont :lol:. Here's to hoping we get that RW and pressing forward we need and punch like West Ham last season!

1 hour ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Careful. You can’t use words like ‘disappointing’ or you’re a crying bairn.

People still fail to get the whole thing about judging situations on their own merits.

We don’t always need to compare every transfer window and say “ey, it could’ve been worse under Ashley”. We’re able to look at the ambition and resources that we have now and say we could be doing better.

If you’re disappointed though it’s only you that’s set yourself up for a fall.

The club has already said it would be slow and steady, not paying over the odds etc 

They've never once said they are gonna be making bags of huge signings and paying out huge sums.

I reckon we're holding our nerve in talks, be it fees or wages. In the final weeks of the window, something will give and I reckon we'll get our remaining deals done at the end of August. Not ideal but better longer term.

I agree that someone like Sarr would upgrade us and cover several positions, and could remain further down the line should we upgrade again. I prefer players who see us as a step up rather than a Werner type who is a failed cast off from above. 

1 hour ago, Fantail Breeze said:

How many clubs needed to and have the resources to match?

What resources though? No one knows how much we have to play with for sure. It certainly isn’t all of PIF’s resources. 

23 minutes ago, LV said:

If you’re disappointed though it’s only you that’s set yourself up for a fall.

The club has already said it would be slow and steady, not paying over the odds etc 

They've never once said they are gonna be making bags of huge signings and paying out huge sums.

We paid over the odds immediately with Woods.

I don’t think a top half finish is setting anyone up to fail. As I have said many a time, it was a reasonable target under Ashley if we had a competent manager, nevermind now.

20 minutes ago, LV said:

What resources though? No one knows how much we have to play with for sure. It certainly isn’t all of PIF’s resources. 

What are you bleating on about now? It’s an easy comparison to make based on how much we’ve already spent. How many others clubs have been able to match that in the last 7 months?

I can name many more who couldn’t for a variety of reasons.

4 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

We paid over the odds immediately with Woods.

I don’t think a top half finish is setting anyone up to fail. As I have said many a time, it was a reasonable target under Ashley if we had a competent manager, nevermind now.

You know why we paid over the odds for him. It was pure necessity and no one else was available. 

And you also know I wasn’t saying the top half finish expectations are setting anyone up for a fall. I meant that having high expectations of loads of huge big money signings despite evidence to the contrary that that will happen and then being disappointed when those made-up signings don’t happen is setting yourself up for a fall.

It’s just inventing your own reality and then being disappointed when it doesn’t actually turn out that way. 

Edited by LV