More transfer rumours

midds

2 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

I'll just be glad to enjoy the football and not worry about relegation.

Said the same a few pages back, amazing how many short memories we have, just a season without looking over our shoulders and scrambling for that "magical" 40 point mark will be a huge improvement on most of the last 14 years.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

In terms of incomings:

Botman, Pope, Cornet & Targett is an Ashley type beat. 

Extending Krafth, Dummett and Longstaff is also an Ashley type beat too tbf.

I wouldn’t put botman in that list but aye 

Cornet's a weird one because I think if he was coming directly from Lyon without Burnley somehow having been inbetween, everyone would be pretty happy with that. 

Cornet's in the Sarr and Harrison category for me. Not at the level we originally were looking at, but a step down that will still likely improve us significantly enough that it'll make a difference. 

I legitimately could not have asked for more from where we were when the takeover happened to now to be honest, its why I don't find it "disappointing" in the slightest. 

Just now, Mattoon said:

Said the same a few pages back, amazing how many short memories we have, just a season without looking over our shoulders and scrambling for that "magical" 40 point mark will be a huge improvement on most of the last 14 years.

It’d be a failure though, finishing 14th without being in relegation trouble. We should be aiming at least for top half this season, it’s not a tough ask with the team and resources we have.

Lets not forget everyone saying Bruce was failing managing a team of midtable quality even before the takeover. We can’t have it both ways.

11 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

If Cornet has a £17m release clause, what the fuck have Everton done spending £20m on McNeil? :lol: Madness.

It suggests to me that like Ekitike, Cornet is holding out for the best club he can join. He'll have been tapped up by someone, and will sign on a dotted line when he is certain there will be no better offers that the one he has in front of him. If Cornet thought Everton was his current ceiling, he would have signed already.

Ekitike did it to us, so there is no shame in this.

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

It’d be a failure though, finishing 14th without being in relegation trouble. We should be aiming at least for top half this season, it’s not a tough ask with the team and resources we have.

Lets not forget everyone saying Bruce was failing managing a team of midtable quality even before the takeover. We can’t have it both ways.

14th would probably be a failure, but anywhere between 12th and 8th without any risk of relegation at any point, and a decent cup run would be decent progress from where we were imo.

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Cornet's a weird one because I think if he was coming directly from Lyon without Burnley somehow having been inbetween, everyone would be pretty happy with that. 

Cornet's in the Sarr and Harrison category for me. Not at the level we originally were looking at, but a step down that will still likely improve us significantly enough that it'll make a difference. 

I’m probably guilty of this. 

1 minute ago, gdm said:

I wouldn’t put botman in that list but aye 

£10m on another keeper when there's a perfectly reasonable starter already here is not Mike Ashley.

Spending best part of £15m on a left back when we had Dummett, Clark, Ritchie & Lewis is not Mike Ashley.

Over £30m on a defender is not Mike Ashley.

The extensions I can agree with apart from Longstaff who seemed on his way out under Bruce & Ashley. Cornet would be possible under Ashley but that's about it.

I'm talking about this window alone.

That window has made us a midtable team.

We've doubled-down on making a solid defence... even more solid. Great. It's still a midtable team.

If the window ended here... it would be a dissappointment.

I think we will sign at least 2 more and have 1 "marquee" signing. That would represent a solid window that looks to take us up the league rather than consolidate us as midtable.

I'm not ideologically tied to this new regime smelling like roses. The window started strongly and it's faltering now. Hope deals are getting closer behind the scenes. Likely in GW1 Shelvey will start and Longstaff will be ready to come off the bench for him. Almiron will start and Fraser will come off the bench for him. Wilson will start and Wood will come off the bench for him. In May, I was expecting better. Hopefully, we will get better.

Guest reefatoon

image.png.2ee56c8ab5350075603ac98206c24e1e.png I want signings now.

Linked with a player

image.png.17e2dbf764157920bf750fe0056ac5f1.png  I don't want that one

Utter utter fannies.

Edited by reefatoon

Just because we haven't made any signings in a couple weeks, doesn't mean it faltering like, there is still over a month of the Window left, we've got rid of a fair bit of the deadwood, and signed 3 first team players already. 

Edited by 54

I think Cornet would be a good signing FWIW. It’s the fact we’re likely going to have to put Chris Wood on a football pitch that concerns me.

That said, the link to Cornet is tenuous at best and the reason people are concerned is because it’s clear we’re not close to anything.

Not like reefa to get it wildly incorrect though.

I'd certainly be disappointed if the signings stopped here. But I don't think for one minute we are done yet. The only question is, will we go for secondary targets if our primary ones are unavailable? I think if the price is right, and they are a significant upgrade, then we will. For that we need two forwards who will make us capable of hurdling West Ham and Leicester for the European spots.

Some can be just a bit underwhelmed whilst also knowing that it would've been liquid AIDS under Ashley. We started the window looking like certs to land Ekitike and were being linked by good sources to Diaby and Paqueta (with many unable to fathom moving on from the latter seemingly for whatever reason). Ekitike has fallen through and we haven't had any reliable links to a striker which we desperately need. Now the Diaby and Paqueta stories have died a death so we're now being linked to Harrison and Cornet who, whilst upgrades on what we have, aren't comparable in terms of bringing about the excitement people thought this window would entail and were teased with with Diaby and Paqueta. I'd still take either Harrison or Cornet rn btw. But people are allowed to say that and be underwhelmed. Especially, certainly in my case, about the fact that we're going to kick off against Forest with the same front 3 we finished last season with. There's plenty of time to sort that I know, but still. 

It could be so much worse though, I'm aware of that and grateful for the fact it isn't. But people can have opinions. Though the one that this is like an Ashley window is a load of shite. :lol: