More transfer rumours

midds

5 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

It’d be a failure though, finishing 14th without being in relegation trouble. We should be aiming at least for top half this season, it’s not a tough ask with the team and resources we have.

Lets not forget everyone saying Bruce was failing managing a team of midtable quality even before the takeover. We can’t have it both ways.

We were in relegation trouble for most of the season, it was only the last couple of months that saw us safe. That being said we haven't even started this season yet so who's to say where this team could end up with a continuation of the form Howe had us in? An improvement is 12th - 8th and I think Howe could get us there now.

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Cornet's a weird one because I think if he was coming directly from Lyon without Burnley somehow having been inbetween, everyone would be pretty happy with that. 

Cornet's in the Sarr and Harrison category for me. Not at the level we originally were looking at, but a step down that will still likely improve us significantly enough that it'll make a difference. 

He's a very good player that still managed to shine in that atrocious Burnley team.

He played regularly for a Champions League Lyon team and always performed well, and his numbers from that right side when in France are excellent.

The Burnley whingeing is actually embarrassing, as he was only there for a year anyway.

1 minute ago, 54 said:

Just because we haven't made any signings in a couple weeks, doesn't mean it faltering like, there is still over a month of the Window left, we've got rid of a fair bit of the deadwood, and signed 3 first team players already. 

The season starts next week. The window closes GW5. Playing 5 games without filling our top 2 priority signings would be poor going.

Cornet at £17.5 or whatever is a very good bit of business. Versatile and has shown he can score in this league. More than happy if this frees up money to buy another player. But if he's the last piece of business of this window, then surely no one can be happy about it? 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

The season starts next week. The window closes GW5. Playing 5 games without filling our top 2 priority signings would be poor going.

I personally don't think that, so long as we feel them in by the end of the window. Its always great to say "Sign all the players before the season start" but realistically for most clubs that never tends to happen, as its later in the window when clubs refine there squad lists that players become available and things begin to move. It was the same in January. 

Surely it's better to wait in the hope of nailing down one of our top targets rather than just go with whoever is available for the sake of 5 extra games? This is a long term project, we don't need to panic over 13% of the first full season.

Just now, Mattoon said:

We were in relegation trouble for most of the season, it was only the last couple of months that saw us safe. That being said we haven't even started this season yet so who's to say where this team could end up with a continuation of the form Howe had us in? An improvement is 12th - 8th and I think Howe could get us there now.

That’s not what you said though. You said you’d be happy just being clear from relegation, which imo would be a failure as a target or achievement.

As I’ll repeat. Many on here said this squad (pre-January additions) was a midtable team and Bruce was a failure based on that. We can’t now suddenly say surviving a season without being drawn into a relegation battle after spending £150m+ would be a success.

9 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Alex Crook from TalkSport who to be fair to him, has been relatively reliable in the past.

Has he ? 

He just seems to report on what has already been in the media for a few days. His exclusives have never been right from what I can see.

Edited by SUPERTOON

Also - i think 12th would be a failure for PIF.

I think a key goal of this season, is getting buy-in from the wider football world that this evolution/revolution is real. Establish that we are on the up and are serious. Legitimise the project.

That means 10th and above. Better goal difference. More goals scored.

7th and above and people sit up. We look the legitimate part.

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

That’s not what you said though. You said you’d be happy just being clear from relegation, which imo would be a failure as a target or achievement.

As I’ll repeat. Many on here said this squad (pre-January additions) was a midtable team and Bruce was a failure based on that. We can’t now suddenly say surviving a season without being drawn into a relegation battle after spending £150m+ would be a success.

Why can't you though? You can admit that both the squad could do better under Bruce, while also being please about not being drawn into a relegation battle for the first time in 13 years. 

Also - i think 12th would be a failure for PIF.

I think a key goal of this season, is getting buy-in from the wider football world that this evolution/revolution is real. Establish that we are on the up and are serious. Legitimise the project.

That means 10th and above. Better goal difference. More goals scored.

7th and above and people sit up. We look the legitimate part.

I'd take 8th as a bare minimum, but yes we need to be aggressively pursuing 7th and that final European spot. None of this 8-12th would be progress.

3 minutes ago, 54 said:

I personally don't think that, so long as we feel them in by the end of the window. Its always great to say "Sign all the players before the season start" but realistically for most clubs that never tends to happen, as its later in the window when clubs refine there squad lists that players become available and things begin to move. It was the same in January. 

This season things start earlier. Teams doing late business will pay for it in league position.

There's 5 GW's pre-deadline, rather than the usual 2-3.

Look around - the better run clubs have finished their business or missing 1 non-crucial part.

Edited by The College Dropout

Just now, 54 said:

Why can't you though? You can admit that both the squad could do better under Bruce, while also being please about not being drawn into a relegation battle for the first time in 13 years. 

It’s not ‘could’ do better under Bruce, it was ‘should’ do better - there is a difference.

The benchline with that squad was midtable. The benchline now with £150m+ expenditure is still midtable? 

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Depends who we end up with at the end of the window. 

8 minutes ago, Zero said:

I still remember the time when people criticise the signing of Bellamy from Coventry since he was a flop there.

Totally agree I’ve mentioned that signing before but it’s all about opinions. As I’ve always said I’m more than happy to be proved wrong. 

however as the summer drags on these stories of only having £40m-£50m left have to be considered. I happily took pelters in believing them hoping I’d be proved wrong.  

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

It’s not ‘could’ do better under Bruce, it was ‘should’ do better - there is a difference.

The benchline with that squad was midtable. The benchline now with £150m+ expenditure is still midtable? 

But thats not the point, that squad hadn't been getting mid-table, people are meerly saying that having a season without ever being scared of relegation would be tangible progress as a club as that hasn't happened for literal years.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

It would've been better having them now.

Not disagreeing on that, just think if we took an extra 5 weeks to get in real top class quality then it’s better than having the likes of  Cornet in right now.

Edited by SUPERTOON

People are still judging their expectations based on Ashley. It’s not their fault, tbf. Years of being groomed.

The bare minimum isn’t the aim. This squad even without further investment should be aiming for 10th or higher. 

We have the finance and opportunity to fill two important positions and we should do so. That should put us in a strong position for a strong season.

@54was meant to quote you and now it’s not playing ball.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

I'd take 8th as a bare minimum, but yes we need to be aggressively pursuing 7th and that final European spot. None of this 8-12th would be progress.

Aye - mean 10th is literal progress from 11th last season. I don't see how going backwards "but no threat of relegation" is a good thing.

1 minute ago, hakka said:

OK with you - sorry I misinterpreted your post. :thup:

Sound. :thup:

We've had so many players linked, I wouldn't get too wound up until we know the links are actually genuine. Cornet makes a lot of sense to me tbh, unless we have a really big fish we are hoping to still land. :pow: