More transfer rumours

midds

2 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

We paid over the odds immediately with Woods.

I don’t think a top half finish is setting anyone up to fail. As I have said many a time, it was a reasonable target under Ashley if we had a competent manager, nevermind now.

Also, Wood

3 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

What are you bleating on about now? It’s an easy comparison to make based on how much we’ve already spent. How many others clubs have been able to match that in the last 7 months?

I can name many more who couldn’t for a variety of reasons.

I can sense you’re a little angry, Fanoir. 

Edited by LV

1 minute ago, LV said:

Also, Wood

Was intentional.

1 minute ago, LV said:

You know why we paid over the odds for him. It was pure necessity and no one else was available. 

And you also know I wasn’t saying the top half finish expectations are setting anyone up for a fall. I meant that having high expectations of loads of huge big money signings despite evidence to the contrary that that will happen and then being disappointed when those made-up signings doing happen is setting yourself up for a fall.

It’s just inventing your own reality and then being disappointed when it doesn’t actually turn out that way. 

So we aren’t going to pay over the odds… but we will pay over the odds… but not now, only in January, despite the need being as great now. :lol: 

The latter part of your post makes no sense, I (and from what I’ve seen a majority of others) haven’t said any of that. Nobody is clamouring for big huge money signings, just hopeful of something better than signings from Championship sides.

You’re inventing your own argument.

3 minutes ago, LV said:

I can sense you’re a little angry, Fanoir. 

So you were wrong again then. It’s always easier when we’re both so quick to get to that realisation. Ta.

I'd love for us to go out and get our long-term starting Winger, our long-term heir to Wilson and our long-term starting attacking mid but its clear as day it's taking longer than we all had hoped. However, I'm fully trusting of Ashworth, Howe, Nickson and our board to get the right deals done between now and the window closing. 

I'll fully judge the window when it shuts. Suggest others do the same and quit posting hysterical nonsense. If the club could have gotten every deal done the first day of the window I'm sure they would have, but for whatever reason, they haven't been able to (money, agents, selling club, etc). 

45 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Perhaps, but crucially (for me, anyway) I'm not as confident we'll get them in now, and preferably they would have been in before Forest, whereas I was proper buzzing just after the Burnley match and really excited for the summer ahead, and try and differentiate ourselves from some of the middle pack clubs.

Even if we didn't have much chance of getting him, I was expecting stuff like 'Newcastle's new owners have identified Saka as their ideal (marquee) signing, and will go all out to get their man'.  I was hoping for a couple of Bruno type signings, players I'd never heard of, but 23/24 y/o playing in a decent league, 30/40m, possibly dropping down a level, and be seen generally as a real coup, and a statement. The likes of Harrison, Cornet etc. aren't much better than we have, and could be linked with any club from 10-14 or so in the table. 

Time will tell I guess, but the optimism is definitely a lot lower than it was for me, and I don't think it's wrong, or demanding, to have expected far more at this stage, especially from such a significant and controversial ownership taking over.

Saka ... that's wild man :lol:

The fact you actually think that the likes of Harrison and Cornet aren't much better than what we have in the wide positions just means you don't really know much about either of those players at all in reality.

Like a lot of fans I noticed they're not really interested in how good a player is, but moreso the excitement and buzz of a name they're completely unfamiliar with that comes with a big fee attached. That is what makes them get excited about a player. I see this a lot and I find it so strange.

10 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Was intentional.

So we aren’t going to pay over the odds… but we will pay over the odds… but not now, only in January, despite the need being as great now. :lol: 

The latter part of your post makes no sense, I (and from what I’ve seen a majority of others) haven’t said any of that. Nobody is clamouring for big huge money signings, just hopeful of something better than signings from Championship sides.

You’re inventing your own argument.

So you were wrong again then. It’s always easier when we’re both so quick to get to that realisation. Ta.

:lol:

Botman/Bruno type signings I think is what people were expecting for those two crucial areas we need, not crazy over the top deals just exciting signings of talented players.

I do think Cornet is a good signing if there's any truth in it though, always looks good every time I've seen him play, has talent and works hard too.

Hope something happens soon man 🤢

1 hour ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Can you show me an example of this? Or have you made this up?

I’ll retract shite and use the term disappointed in the lack of movement in the transfer market. Despite how much we spent last window to ensure we stayed in this league and the building of a potential premiership leading back room team. 
I’m fucking delirious about the way this is panning out. Ask me in 14 years time though, things may have changed

ps. Are you any relation to our other pigeon fancying friend nun tumblers?

4 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Botman/Bruno type signings I think is what people were expecting for those two crucial areas we need, not crazy over the top deals just exciting signings of talented players.

I personally think Harrison and Cornet fit that bracket. But neither transfer feels close.

I feel sorry for the lads finishing work, firing up NO, seeing about ten extra pages in the transfer thread and then wasting ten minutes having to wade through Cornet rumours and soiled bedsheets :lol:

Edited by The Prophet

9 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I feel sorry for the lads finishing work, firing UP NO, seeing about ten extra pages in the transfer thread and then wasting ten minutes having to wade through Cornet rumours and soiled bedsheets :lol:

I just slogged through it all :lol:. Amazing what you’ll do to pass the time when you’re laid up sick.

There doesn’t seem to be any concrete links to Cornet and my Twitter feed is full of fans talking about the potential signing. Is there anything in this or are we collectively all that desperate for rumours to talk about?

4 hours ago, WillingtonMag said:

Really is time to panic now mind nothing going on and times running out, how did it come to this?

🎵 Panic on the streets of Benton

Panic on the streets of Wallsend

I wonder to myself

Can Newcastle ever be sane again?

The Elswick side-streets that you slip down

I wonder to myself…

Hang the DA, hang the DA, hang the DA

Hang the DA, hang the DA, hang the DA 🎵 

54 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

This is why i asked the question earlier.

I don't rate him like that. But at this point, £20m - i'd take him. Big wages mind and suspect injury record. There's something seriously wrong with his achilles.

So you don't rate him, there's something seriously wrong with his achilles.....but you'd take him?

18 minutes ago, snakzz said:

Is Everton more attractive then us or Are we just not in for him?

It would be a great way to avoid the Newcastle Tax tbh. Let other teams thrash out the terms and the fee, then step in and sweep him away at the last minute.

3 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

That’s not what you said though. You said you’d be happy just being clear from relegation, which imo would be a failure as a target or achievement.

As I’ll repeat. Many on here said this squad (pre-January additions) was a midtable team and Bruce was a failure based on that. We can’t now suddenly say surviving a season without being drawn into a relegation battle after spending £150m+ would be a success.

Being clear from relegation is literally mid to upper mid table, anyone from 12th down is usually only 1 or 2 losses from being dragged into it so I stand by what I said. Bruce was a failure and Howe proved that and with the additional purchases already made we should be comfortably upper mid table, when we get at least a RW and a striker, which we will, we'll be pushing 8th up. At this point upper mid is already a huge improvement on previous seasons and a fight for a European place would be a bonus.