More transfer rumours

midds

35 minutes ago, LFEE said:

On the flip side… wasn’t his one and a bit decent season when there were no crowds due to Covid? Pretty sure it was which would also be a concern as he always seems to choke 1v1.

19/20 season he scored 13 in 27 before Covid and 0 in 9 in front of empty stadia. ;)

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=74190&season_id=152

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Guest HTT II
11 minutes ago, duo said:

We've a target man in Wood who has a better scoring record.

Howay, the two aren’t comparable, DCL is a top prospect, quick, great in the air, runs the wide areas, links play up well and dresses cool as a cucumber!

A couple of seasons ago signing DCL would have been a no brainer, he was bang in form, playing really well and looked fantastic but he seems to have stalled quite a bit in the last year or so. I don't watch an awful lot of Everton so I'm not sure exactly what the issues are but there's clearly something not right, he looks a shadow of what he was, isn't scoring and looks like he provides little or no threat in games. I'm fairly sure it's temporary and he'll get back into form eventually as he's clearly got talent but I'm not convinced he's 'the one' to blow our load on. This iteration of him is a bit of a risk given his current form. All things considered I'd rather look elsewhere and let someone else take the chance on him coming good again. 

DCL is a different kind of striker to Wilson and is very much more in the target man mould. They're both decent penalty box finishers, but while Wilson has quite a few strings to his bow, DCL's main strength lies in his areal dominance. 

The obvious concern is the amount of time he's spent on the sidelines of late, but I'm sure that will be thoroughly assessed if we're parting with serious cash for him. In terms of his game, while his flick-ons and cute touches can be effective, he isn't the greatest with the ball at his feet which I'm sure Howe would look to coach into him.

I'm not against the signing, depending on the price. He's got a lot of strengths and plenty of room to improve. The concern would be his fitness record, along with our ability to get the best out of a striker who requires direct service into the box.

I like DCL but he seems to suffer from mental health issues (according to gossip, but explain a lot, maybe even some of his lengthy 'injuries') There aren't many out there which go through it and recapture their best form. It's a tough one, but I think at this stage he's worth a punt around the £30m mark and with Ekiteke coming in as well. I don't think we could rely on him and Wilson, knowing out luck both would.be out at the same time.

Edited by Dokko

4 minutes ago, Dokko said:

I like DCL but he seems to suffer from mental health issues (according to gossip, but explain a lot, maybe even some of his lengthy 'injuries') There aren't many out there which go through it and recapture their best form. It's a tough one, but I think at this stage he's worth a punt around the £30m mark and with Ekiteke coming in as well. I don't think we could rely on him and Wilson, knowing out luck both would.be out at the same time.

His mental health issues have been well documented. 

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11095/12620002/dominic-calvert-lewin-opens-up-on-mental-health-struggles-and-says-talking-saved-my-life

2 hours ago, arnonel said:

New link

I’ve watched all the Dortmund games I can since the Klopp days.

I can’t think what Hazard would bring to the team. 
There are other Dortmund under-achievers I would look at before him.

15 minutes ago, Lotus said:

What are your thoughts on Brandt?

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

Think they may be linking us with the wrong Dortmund player.

They recently made Julian Brandt available, and he's far more in line with the kind of player we'd be looking at.

2 hours ago, Ben said:

I wonder if we would look at Jesus now Arsenal seemed to have dropped out 

They want to pay 30, City want 50 but like Sane with Bayern, there’s always middle ground..

But for one year left on contract I don’t even think 30m is value. Not for the player either who wouldn’t be able to command massive wages like if he were a free agent.

And that’s the trend now, you have top players earning massive amounts and then you have the next tier down players who’ve figured out they can jump into that realm if they just run down their contract.

Edited by Dr Jinx

9 hours ago, LFEE said:

Doubting that. Off top of my head he scored against Spurs with no crowd. Or is my memory playing tricks with me? 🙂 Not that I should ever doubt you 👍🏻

Probably the 20/21 season which was effectively all behind closed doors? 19/20 though is definitely true.

7 hours ago, TRC said:

Brandt is a classy player, would be all over that

Yeah, his talent is way up there with some of the top players, but has just struggled with consistency and a clear role. He's the kind of player that is plenty good enough for where we are at right now, but could then even really find a higher level with Howe's style of individual coaching and direction.

He'd be a great alternative to Eriksen, and he can play out wide too. Like him a lot.

Apparently available for £14 million, which is pretty outrageous.

Edited by KaKa

9 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, his talent is way up there with some of the top players, but has just struggled with consistency and a clear role. He's the kind of player that is plenty good enough for where we are at right now, but could then even really find a higher level with Howe's style of individual coaching and direction.

He'd be a great alternative to Eriksen, and he can play out wide too. Like him a lot.

Apparently available for £14 million, which is pretty outrageous.

We should be all over him at that price

5 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

We should be all over him at that price

I agree. There's a lot of value out there this summer for some seriously talented players, albeit those with a few kinks to iron out, but those sorts of players really suit us right now. Even Rabiot, who yes, has had some issues, mostly from not really getting consistent minutes on the pitch, is available for £12 million. These are crazy prices for players with their ability, and both are 26 years old this year.