More transfer rumours

midds

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Zapata is a good player but his game is all power and pace and he's already started getting injuries. Shouldn't be anywhere near the profile of players we are aiming for and i'd start worrying about the logic of our transfer policy if we signed him.

He's made 61 appearances in the last two seasons and scored 32 goals, anyone turning their noses up at him are mental.

If resale value didn't matter Man City wouldn't be selling players when they're keen to move on before their value goes. Every club has to operate within FFP now and buy and sell efficiently and intelligently. Liverpool have been remarkable at this in recent years.

We have no cheat code like Man City did when they were able to leapfrog straight into the CL in two seasons. Unless we think we can make the CL in the next two seasons with our signings then it is far too risky to weight the age of the squad so highly.

The sensible model is something much closer to what Leipzig have done in recent years.

We’re definitely bringing more in (good source). I’d assume there would be a short term plan to get us into Europe ( by buying older?) to allow us to compete with the big boys for younger quality players long term. 

1 minute ago, WillingtonMag said:

He's made 61 appearances in the last two seasons and scored 32 goals, anyone turning their noses up at him are mental.

Yes and I've probably watched most of those games he's played. He's a good player but his pace and power is a huge attribute in Serie A as it was with Lukaku. There are already signs it is starting to wane and hence why there has been a lot of rumours of Atalanta selling and replacing with a younger forward. He would be a poor move unless it was a very cheap deal much lower than the previously mentioned prices.

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

Yes and I've probably watched most of those games he's played. He's a good player but his pace and power is a huge attribute in Serie A as it was with Lukaku. There are already signs it is starting to wane and hence why there has been a lot of rumours of Atalanta selling and replacing with a younger forward. He would be a poor move unless it was a very cheap deal much lower than the previously mentioned prices.

Yep. As a direct Wilson replacement last Jan, the transfer made perfect sense. After buying Wood, and with a fit again Wilson, it makes little sense. The club will want a younger player for sure (I would hope). 

The only context I would take Zapata would be a loan deal with a moderate fee if it allowed us to then invest in other positions. But I don't think Atalanta would entertain that. They're at the point now where they want to either sell before his value depreciates or just keep him until the end of his career.

27 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I don't know a lot about the players they've signed, but it seems like they've totally overhauled the first team. They could be a bit of an unknown quantity next year.

It’s hard to imagine they’ve replaced with the same quality after selling their two best players (potentially three) but perhaps they’ve brought in more players and have improved the overall squad/reduced the gap in quality in their squad. Guess we’ll see. 

49 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Good point. I do like this pragmatic way of working and being sensible, but it's semi-surprising, given how Chelsea and Man City first operated under moneybags ownership, and secondly Saudi's objective regarding ownership - all of which pointed to a couple of 'statement' signings being the order of the day. As everything Saudi do is often to square up competitively against their Gulf rivals, bigger and better etc - but perhaps this is where PCP's operations management is doing its work, to ensure NUFC is not just a rich play thing for an oligarch or sheikh, and to ensure there is professionalism to meet the long term objectives of domination. Short term pain for long term gain. I do think Everton's bad example has also helped to temper activity also. 

It seems that we're operating on two fronts.

In the short to medium term we're looking at sensible, low cost signings such as Pope, Targett and Burn to consolidate the squad in midtable and provide competition for places.

But we've also got one eye on the long term and if a player such as Botman, Bruno or Ekitike becomes available at a fee that we consider value for money, we'll try to do a deal. These are players that can grow with the squad and will hopefully form the spine of the team as it goes onto bigger and better things.

It seems to be that various player moves trigger another deal to happen so if Leeds get the lad from PSG then it might be that Ekitike move progresses with them.

I wouldn't mind Konrad Laimer from Leipzig as seems like deal to Bayern hasn't gone through yet - one year left on his contract and cost is between €20-30m.

21 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

You are being incredibly short sighted and are not looking at the bigger picture. 

1 minute ago, WillingtonMag said:

You just believe everything you read on twitter or in the papers then?

Nope. Most newspaper reports get posted in here. Don’t be a knob 

Just now, KaKa said:

You are being incredibly short sighted and are not looking at the bigger picture. 

Quite short sighted aye I think this is a pretty crucial window, if we can get some top players in to close the gap we can look into bringing in younger players in following windows when we have a bigger profile or maybe European football to persuade them.

20 minutes ago, RS said:

We’re definitely bringing more in (good source). I’d assume there would be a short term plan to get us into Europe ( by buying older?) to allow us to compete with the big boys for younger quality players long term. 

That was my reasoning as well. Obviously we are looking to bring in long term players ideally, but maybe with a limited budget, we won't turn our noses up at 30 year olds who will immediately bring world class attributes to the team if the price is right. Kieran Trippier was one of those for example.

By the time those players are no longer pulling their weight you would think we'd have signed up some decent youngsters who are pushing through, and we'd also have sponsorship in place which would make buying the younger stars a lot easier.

I'm not saying I approve of this tactic, just trying to work out the logic.

1 minute ago, gdm said:

Going down the cheaper route then. 

I would actually be really happy to sign him. A definite improvement still with room to improve. My preseason wish list (admittedly I had never heard of, or at best knew little about, some of the seemingly more exciting options—after a bit of ‘Wise’ scouting—we’ve since been linked with) was Phillips, Gallagher and Harrison. Didn’t have a favoured striker, until I watched Osimhen (obvs…). 

1 minute ago, gdm said:

Nope. Most newspaper reports get posted in here. Don’t be a knob 

Wasn't being a knob you just seem to put whatever you read down as fact straight away, like the transfer budget or now going for cheaper players. 

Just now, Coffee_Johnny said:

I would actually be really happy to sign him. A definite improvement still with room to improve. My preseason wish list (admittedly I had never heard of, or at best knew little about, some of the seemingly more exciting options—after a bit of ‘Wise’ scouting—we’ve since been linked with) was Phillips, Gallagher and Harrison. Didn’t have a favoured striker, until I watched Osimhen (obvs…). 

Aye I’m coming round to the idea. 

3 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Wasn't being a knob you just seem to put whatever you read down as fact straight away, like the transfer budget or now going for cheaper players. 

If you look I added the word possibly shorty after I posted it. I’m working so rushed it. Wasn’t putting it down as fact at all. I posted it for discussion. Give it a rest 

Edited by gdm

3 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Quite short sighted aye I think this is a pretty crucial window, if we can get some top players in to close the gap we can look into bringing in younger players in following windows when we have a bigger profile or maybe European football to persuade them.

What happens when they all start getting injured, and we're left playing the likes of Chris Wood?

1 minute ago, gdm said:

If you look I added the word possible shorty after I posted it. I’m working so rushed it. Wasn’t putting it down as fact at all. I posted it for discussion. Give it a rest 

Please continue to post the articles it's all worth following and reading up on.

He's just upset because he's convinced himself we are going to spend another £100 million on strictly 'marquee' signings.