More transfer rumours

midds

Not getting Diaby would be a little bit of a let down after all the rumours but I think the likes of Harrison or Madueke would be pretty solid backup options. Harrison would go straight in and be productive. Madueke a bit more of a gamble but he's really young and very talented.

Ambition of playing in Europe, five subs and clubs refusing to sell their good players for a reasonable sum means we should aim to get two players from the likes of Dennis, Cornet and Sarr or other in that £15-25m mould and then splash the cash on another Brazilian in Paqueta. 

In terms of big names though I genuinely reckon we'd probably have more chance of getting Paqueta than Diaby or Isak. I just don't think the latter clubs are going to relent on fee - whereas I could see Lyon coming down to something around Bruno's fee + add ons.

4 minutes ago, Flip said:

Ambition of playing in Europe, five subs and clubs refusing to sell their good players for a reasonable sum means we should aim to get two players from the likes of Dennis, Cornet and Sarr or other in that £15-25m mould and then splash the cash on another Brazilian in Paqueta. 

Paqueta is in the same bracket as Diaby and Isak 40-60£m. We wont go there. If they lower their price maybe 

Edited by nufc123

Just now, nufc123 said:

Paqueta is in the same bracket as Diaby and Isak 40-60£m. We wont go there.

I might be biased here, but Paqueta is more talented than both of those players. I also believe the gap between wingers at lower price and higher is smaller than for central midfielders or someone like Paqueta, who in addition would be great for Bruno who right now along with Trippier is one of our two best players. 

4 minutes ago, Flip said:

I might be biased here, but Paqueta is more talented than both of those players. I also believe the gap between wingers at lower price and higher is smaller than for central midfielders or someone like Paqueta, who in addition would be great for Bruno who right now along with Trippier is one of our two best players. 

He might be more talented. I was just thinking about the price. By reports we wont go into that mould. Waugh also said Paqueta and position isnt of our interest this window. But who knows one day its this the other day something else..

If we sign £20-£25 million pound players (that aren’t as good) as our alleged main targets  

will that not lead us into having to sell them again in a few years and look to buy the Diabys/paquettas/Isak in a few years when they are more expensive ? 

what happens if we don’t get into Europe , we are In the same position in terms of BIG NAMED players 

It’s very hard to attract the best without Europe ?

I think if there is any chance of a very good player wanting to come(like a diaby) and the price is a little higher than anticipated  (it makes sense to push the boat out) so you don’t have to replace that player / position for a longer period 

plus we then have more chance of getting into Europe / bigger revenue streams / better sponsorship deals and attract better players 

Obviously I have no idea if any of those players want to come or not 

For all we know these links could be all agents / other clubs looking to sell and our names are just been added as PIF have money ?

Honestly don't see anyone stumping up more than the current valuations are for Diaby or Isak even in Jan or the following summer. Those are absolute peak pricing. If they do exceed that - those dudes are going to CL elite clubs. 

27 minutes ago, Flip said:

I like the idea of us in the very last third with Wilson being a proper handful and extremely difficult to deal with. Then having Paqueta as a #10, especially when the other team is with their backs against goal. Bruno popping up and playing one twos with Paqueta for example. With the two of them there in a more central area I can only drool when thinking of the control and composure we would have there in possession. Never mind the thought of Paqueta for example drawing players to him, would give more space for Wilson and Bruno, and again, never mind the wide forwards  getting more space and vice Verda depending on where we attack from. When out of possession he can go a bit deeper and have the role of a AMC or the wide CM in a three with Bruno and Joelinton. He’s versatile, has tons of ability, and is most likely willing to come. People say we don’t need a #10. He’s more than that. Physically strong and good at pressing too. I think this is a must do signing. Cannot miss this train. It’s been pretty obvious so far that it’s not been easy to find too too class quality players that are willing to come. Say Diaby for example. I say go and get Paqueta and then a cheaper right sided player in, or someone like CHO on loan for example. Then when we are more attractive and maybe have more money and have shown that this is a club and team to watch out for then go proper big for a new wide player if needed. A good wide player with Paqueta in too will make us a better team on the whole than just getting a super expensive wide player. Having said the above a striker must come in too no matter what route we go. Maybe the same here, get a young promising striker and have Eilson as #1 when fit. Then later on get fucking Osimhen or whoever when it might be slightly more possible, even if not very likely. Just an example. 

When deeper in possession. Bruno’s progressive through balls finding Paqueta who is great at finding space between opposition lines….

Edited by Ikon

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

Don't start shuffling and making excuses man :lol:

You've now thrown in a Pepe caveat about him not starting a single game and a weak Mason Greenwood excuse.

You said he would barely get any playing time at any of those clubs, and that just wasn't the fact you made it out to be.

I'm not shuffling.

He'd be a bench warmer at all of them, it's obvious. 

2 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

I'm not shuffling.

He'd be a bench warmer at all of them, it's obvious. 

You claimed he would barely get any game time. I think I've shown why that claim is a silly one.

You're entitled to hold on to that assertion if you want though. That's fine.

Just now, KaKa said:

You claimed he would barely get any game time. I think I've shown why that claim is a silly one.

You're entitled to hold on to that assertion if you want though. That's fine.

Agree to disagree but I'd say suggesting someone who would start the majority of games on the bench would get plenty of minutes is the silly conclusion.

As stated, he's a good player but he'd cost too much for where he could take us in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

In all seriousness, Paqueta, Sarr, and a loan striker would be great business.

Definitely but by all accounts with the reported budget we'd only be able to get Paqueta.

I like Sarr. Whilst Harrison is currently more productive numbers wise I think Sarr has a higher ceiling than him.

Sarr for 25m and Broja for similar would be a solid end to the window.

3 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

Agree to disagree but I'd say suggesting someone who would start the majority of games on the bench would get plenty of minutes is the silly conclusion.

As stated, he's a good player but he'd cost too much for where he could take us in my opinion. 

As a backup for both wings he would have played regularly there. You said he would barely feature. No chance.

£25 million at the very highest for me personally, otherwise we shouldn't be looking at that move.

I cannot believe that this summer both Aouar and Brandt are available for less than £20 million.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear we are looking for this type of midfielder. 

Agree with PlymouthGeordie tbh. 

Harrison is a good player, but he wouldn't be a transformative signing. Bruno, Trippier and Botman are the real benchmark - the hope has to be that we are targeting this level of player to the greatest possible extent to be able to fulfil both their ambitions and the clubs in as short a time span as is possible. They haven't signed to target a place in the Europa league in a couple of years.

That said, the limitations around what we're able to do at the moment are real and need to be navigated intelligently. On the most basic analysis, Harrison would improve us. 

Personally would be most happy if we signed Paqueta and then used the loan market to strengthen elsewhere (forward/right-wing) if need be. 

The problem with Diaby is not only do Leverkusen not need to sell, but he's guaranteed a place in the Champions League and the French World Cup squad if he stays put, he isn't going to kick up a fuss to leave. Leverkusen hold all the cards, so they don't need to sell unless a bid significantly above market value comes in. 

I know our Twitter fans will say "just pay the money", but he is  absolutely not worth £60 million quid (if Ryder, etc are to be believed). It's not uncommon for clubs of any size to look at alternative targets if prices are daft. See Chelsea with Kounde or PSG with Fofana for recent high profile examples.  If we've moved on, I trust that the recruitment team will find a suitable alternative.

Edited by The Prophet

25 minutes ago, KaKa said:

As a backup for both wings he would have played regularly there. You said he would barely feature. No chance.

£25 million at the very highest for me personally, otherwise we shouldn't be looking at that move.

Just trying to compute your first sentence.

"As a back up for both wings he'd have played regularly". It's such a contradiction.

Anyway, it's a pointless discussion as I doubt leeds will sell for less than 35m and can't see us paying that (which is a good thing because he's worth 25m tops).

26 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I cannot believe that this summer both Aouar and Brandt are available for less than £20 million.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear we are looking for this type of midfielder. 

What has happened to them? Aouar was heavily courted by Arsenal 12-18 months ago and I'm pretty sure Brandt was previously linked to Iiverpool.

1 minute ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

Just trying to compute your first sentence.

"As a back up for both wings he'd have played regularly". It's such a contradiction.

Anyway, it's a pointless discussion as I doubt leeds will sell for less than 35m and can't see us paying that (which is a good thing because he's worth 25m tops).

Yes, I think that's where the problem lies. We have a very different definition of what playing regularly means.

A squad player that would be one of the first people off the bench, and who would start a good number of games due to squad rotation to rest first teamers, as well as also in cases where there are injuries, is someone that plays regularly IMO.

It seems you see that as someone who barely gets any game time though, which I disagree with. So for me someone who barely gets any game time is a fringe player that only plays as an emergency situation, so like Dwight Gayle for us!