More transfer rumours

midds

7 hours ago, Mike said:

Pickled onion ffs.

You don’t have pickled onion over there? 

Is it just a British thing?? :lol:

If you’ve never had pickled onion Monster Munch you need to get your ass on a flight over here this instant. Life changing. 

8 hours ago, Conjo said:

Only marginally from what I can remember, but he's 8 years younger and can improve. For £15m I can understand us being interested. 

Aye, if we signed him I think Dubravka would start as number 1 but first sign of him dropping clangers more regularly, we’d see Henderson in and his ceiling is higher. Similar sort of situation to Leno/Ramsdale at Arsenal.

Henderson is more of a sideways move for me. He's not a massive upgrade,  I think with a decent defence in front of him Dubravka has shown he's a capable keeper. 

Does Henderson open his gob? He's a better keeper than Dubravka then.

If we pay 15m for him, hes going to be our number 1. Sell Dubravka if that's the case and get Ben Foster in as number 2.

5 minutes ago, duo said:

Henderson is more of a sideways move for me. He's not a massive upgrade,  I think with a decent defence in front of him Dubravka has shown he's a capable keeper. 

Dubravka is 33 years old.

Henderson is just 25 with room to grow, having already had one really good season in the prem with Sheffield United, while also having briefly displaced De Gea at Man Utd. He has stated he wants to leave Man Utd now, and so it's an opportunity well worth jumping on.

He's a really good keeper as things stand with the potential to be even better.

Marco Asensio will be leaving Real Madrid as his contract is going into the final year and he has chosen not to renew there.

We were linked recently and had apparently sounded out Real Madrid. He wants to play in the Premier League. Still just 26 years old.

Apparently available for around £25 million. Alternative option to Moussa Diaby, as a left footed right winger.

4 hours ago, KaKa said:

Complete and utter horseshit.

Pretty sure you say this kind of thing every time an English player is linked though :lol:

Recall you doing the same for Targett and Nketiah in January.

Haven't said it in relation to the (albeit tenuous) links to Phillips - because he’s not crap.

Dean Henderson is terrible and not an improvement on what we have, would be a complete waste. We don’t need to be RTG and pretend he’s any good just because he’s linked.

I was wrong about Targett, more than happy to admit that. Was absolutely right about Wood though.

He isn't terrible, come on:lol:. What he is, is a good keeper, but somewhat on par with Dubs (more talky, much better at kicks and throws). Trouble is, as mentioned, it gives us two good keepers to choose from, when ideally you want a much better upgrade to Dubs if you want Dubs to be the reserve keeper.

8 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Haven't said it in relation to the (albeit tenuous) links to Phillips - because he’s not crap.

Dean Henderson is terrible and not an improvement on what we have, would be a complete waste. We don’t need to be RTG and pretend he’s any good just because he’s linked.

I was wrong about Targett, more than happy to admit that. Was absolutely right about Wood though.

Genuine question, when have you seen enough of him to say he is terrible? 

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Is he terrible though? Even with my very limited viewing of him, that seems hyperbolic.

I'm not responding to the guy anymore. It's unbelievable man :lol:

To the people saying Henderson is terrible and worse or not an improvement on Dubravka, what are you basing that opinion on?

His year at Sheffield United he was a class shot stopper, and I think everyone can agree he's better with his feet than Dubravka. 

The year he left Sheffield he was going back to compete with De Gea and I think a lot of fans at that time actually wanted Henderson to be the man u number 1. After going back to Man u, the combination of some questionable games from Henderson and then De Gea being very good again when he did play lead to Dea Gea cementing himself as the number 1. 

Correct me if I'm wrong. @Froggy

My point is that when Henderson has had a full season (at Sheff U). He was one of the best keepers in the league that year and a lot of people wanted him to be Englad no.1. After leaving Sheff U the next season they fell apart and were relegated. Not gonna say it was purely down to them not having Henderson but it's possible it played a part. 

For me he's already an improvement on Dubravka and still has many years to improve. 

Edited by Joey47

9 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

We’ve bid £50 million for Paqueta. They’ll probably reject but accept with a few add-ons maybe.

Didn't think he’d be one of the first.

Be interesting if we have and would mean Martin Hardy as opposed to all the other local journalists was on the money last week. 

Henderson seems a sensible signing to me for his potential if nowt else. Even if you reckon Dubravka is better, he'll be 34 before next season is out and - despite the cliche about goalies - is very much post-peak.

Right now is a really good time to sign the keeper who is going to be our number 1 throughout what is hopefully going to be an upward curving/potentially successful period, even if he isn't first choice next season. 

I watched highlights of all our games in order recently. Obviously we improved for lots of reasons (mostly rightly accredited to Howe and the positive shift at the club in general) but it was noticeable that early in the season we had Woodman playing, then Darlow and then Dubravka when he came back. You can timeline our improvement in results along these changes.

Dubravka is a decent mid-table PL keeper and that definitely makes a huge difference compared to the other two who are for me essentially Championship keepers. But Dubravka is injury prone and probably unlikely to improve much from now. Whatever happens we need direct competition/backup in the immediacy and ultimately a reliable replacement going forward.

Along those lines Henderson for me seems an obvious signing to compete directly with him. He's got decent pedigree, room to improve, and is good with his feet. 

I think a lot of peoples view of the Henderson/Dubravka issue is clouded by their feelings towards Dubravka. It's only natural to feel a certain level of bias/affection/full on man love for a goalie who has had such a huge hand in keeping us in the division for the past few season. I'm in the same boat. 

However, looking at it objectively, I'd say as a shot stopper there isn't much separating he and Henderson, which is Dubs main strength. Henderson is so much better with his feet, and only 25. If you look at in unemotionally it's an easy decision. Especially if he does end up costing under 20m.

On 19/05/2022 at 20:03, Barnes23 said:

Looked good at Sheffield United under Wilder in part because of their defensive setup, similar to the way that goalkeepers enhance their reputation at Burnley (low block, limiting of space, inviting long-range efforts from the opposition).