More transfer rumours

midds

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's based entirely on fans not liking him off the field. :lol: There's nothing whatsoever to suggest he'd be a bad influence within the club like, only the opposite. 

Not sure about that. Just seems a bit of a general twat to me. Him and Rashford (plus Welbeck and others) played for my son’s old team. Rashford has been much more interested/giving of time than him. 

3 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Not sure about that. Just seems a bit of a general twat to me. Him and Rashford (plus Welbeck and others) played for my son’s old team. Rashford has been much more interested/giving of time than him. 

There are plenty of fans who think he's a twat. Have you ever heard a single thing about him being a negative influence within a club though?

10 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Not saying you're wrong because it would obviously be more economically sound to buy good young players, but if we can't get the ones that are going to improve us what do we do then? Keep going down the list of options until we end up with Rivieire and Cabella, or sign a few players who don't guarantee resale value but, in the name of progress, will improve us in the short term? You've said yourself that we're starting from ground zero so I can see them being flexible, and they have been so far - they've signed 'old', 'peak' and young. Steadfastly sticking to a 'resale value only' policy in our current position sounds a bit Mike Ashley.

Besides, the average age is still being addressed to some extent if it's Gayle out and Zapata in. 

It all depends on how strictly we are adhering to this supposed budget of around £90m, with half of that already gone on signings. If we are working with £45m, then we aren't going to buy two rising superstars for that price.

There are still other options like Sarr and Kalimuendo, maybe you could get those two or similar. But it's not beyond imagination that the club might look at older established superstars like Zapata and Asensio as viable alternatives for the same price.

Harrison For £20 Million is a good deal like. Would have him starting on right wing if thats the place we are thinking of putting him. Can cover and give competition to ASM on the left as well. 

9 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I don't see it. So Zapata comes in for significant money and wages, and then what ... backs up Wilson? Or puts one of our better players in Wilson on the bench? Why put so much money into that? 

Because like Wood, I guess the value is not in the specifics of the finances involved, but in how he helps us achieve our immediate goals. 

8th place and a cup run in a couple of years makes us more attractive both commercially and as a sporting project for the next level of players we'd need to take us to thr next level. 

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

Zapata is a good player but his game is all power and pace and he's already started getting injuries. Shouldn't be anywhere near the profile of players we are aiming for and i'd start worrying about the logic of our transfer policy if we signed him.

Just had a look, and you're right doesn't look great. Big increase in the last year.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/duvan-zapata/verletzungen/spieler/73794/plus/1

image.thumb.png.4cbdbb717397d09f78613c930501ca30.png

Edited by KaKa

Borussia Dortmund has put Julian Brandt and Thorgan Hazard for sale. I would go for both of them. Also Akanji is available, but we are not in need for another CB.

Hazard is good signing because he is very versitile. He can play also as full-back. Good work morale and highly skillfull. Probably available for £10M. Not the same sort of signing than Diaby, but has a lot of potential. Kind of similar to Pulisic.

3 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Because like Wood, I guess the value is not in the specifics of the finances involved, but in how he helps us achieve our immediate goals. 

8th place and a cup run in a couple of years makes us more attractive both commercially and as a sporting project for the next level of players we'd need to take us to thr next level. 

We'll have to agree to disagree man. Just had a look at his injuries over the last year, and we definitely should not do this deal.

I also think there is a massive assumption that he comes in and performs as well as, or better than Wilson, which is no guarantee either.

5 minutes ago, khay said:

Harrison For £20 Million is a good deal like. Would have him starting on right wing if thats the place we are thinking of putting him. Can cover and give competition to ASM on the left as well. 

Despite being right footed, he’s massively predominantly a left winger himself though- played there 39 in the last 50 games (3 on the right wing) 

https://www.footballcritic.com/jack-harrison/player-positions/124033

Said before i'd be happy to see Jack Harrison here. Decent goals and assists output playing in a fairly poor Leeds team, think he'd do well under Howe.

Don't want Zapata at all, as someone mentioned already he was surely a January target to help us escape relegation.

I think reducing the age of the squad has to be a priority right now. Having younger players with potential is especially important because we have a project to break into the top 4 within, lets say 3/4 years max (don't think Bruno or Botman would wait longer than that).

Right now we are not ready to challenge top 4, not just from a squad point of view but from a club infrastructure point of view.

If we're lucky we might get 2 good seasons out of Zapata, by that point we're going to want to be challenging for top 4. Zapata in 2 years time won't be able to help us challenge for top 4 so will be surplus to requirements and will need to be replaced. 

Right now we need to be signing young players with potential (like Botman, Bruno, Ekitike), while we have time to nurture them in the premier league. We have about 2 seasons with less pressure on us to break straight into Europe during which Howe can make us an established team with a playing style and develop young talent. After that is when we will need the cherries on top where we can go out and spend on a 30 year old who can come in and fill a gap or improve us straight away and give us that last push we need to break into the top 6/4. 

Bringing Harrison in for 20M seems a little ridiculous to me. I'd much rather have Fraser and Almiron rotating in that RW position than spend anything on Harrison. Use that money elsewhere. 

33 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

There are plenty of fans who think he's a twat. Have you ever heard a single thing about him being a negative influence within a club though?

He was reportedly leaking stuff from the dressing room, obviously not sure how true that is but I remember seeing it reported last season 

@Froggy probably knows more on how legit the reports were

19 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Despite being right footed, he’s massively predominantly a left winger himself though- played there 39 in the last 50 games (3 on the right wing) 

This just seems to be flying over everyone's head. So would we be buying him then looking to sell ASM to fund our quest for a right winger?

24 minutes ago, Manxst said:

He's left footed though. Unlike many other lefties he has a decent cross and shot with his right too. I like him but not more than 30 million.

Edited by junkhead

4 hours ago, thomas said:

awaiting the absolute scenes on NO if we haven't signed anyone else by august 15th :lol: :lol:

There’s definitely been some fingers hovering over the ‘knickers wet’ button 

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

This just seems to be flying over everyone's head. So would we be buying him then looking to sell ASM to fund our quest for a right winger?

Jack Harrison is left footed from everywhere I have checked this information, and he plays on either wing. If we signed him it would be to play on the right side.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jack-harrison/leistungsdaten/spieler/417346

5 minutes ago, duo said:

Harrison is massively over rated and isn't an improvement on what we've got. Am hoping there's no substance to this rumour.

No improvement on what we've got ... but has scored 16 Premier League goals in the past two seasons. We don't have a single person outside of Wilson that has managed that for us.