Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

16 hours ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Aye, can't fault the role he played in that first goal. However looking at his build and what you expect from him, it's just not there. We weren't looking for someone to break through with pace - it just needed to be held and he should be able to do that.

In all honesty, Joelinton up top would've done a better job in that regard, so long he had Willock and ASM offering support.

Definitely not a Wyn Davies , fantastic header of a ball , used to see him covered in blood and a goal scorer 

He does keep the defenders occupied and it's clearly helping the team to some degree, our results have been great since he's came into the side

I think we all just would love to see a striker who can do all that, but has some real quality on the ball / in front of goal. That has to be the aim in the summer

11 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

It hasn't weakened Burnley, it seemed to galvanise them and Weghorst instantly looked an upgrade on Wood. They looked dead and buried before that and now they have a very good chance of survival.

So far it's turned out well for both clubs and that could potentially turn out gloriously badly for Leeds or Everton.

If we compare the two clubs as that is all that should matter then I would argue it weakened them

Before the signing of Wood we were 6 points behind them with a GD that was worse by 17 goals, now 7 games later we are 6 ahead of them with a GD that is only 2 worse 

Wood in isolation isn't a good enough striker, that much is clear however he's clearly helped the team so it was a necessary signing and as things stand looks like the money was well spent.  

He occupies defenders and allows us to play further up the pitch. Obviously next season I hope we have someone that can do that but also be a goal threat too

16 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

If we compare the two clubs as that is all that should matter then I would argue it weakened them

Before the signing of Wood we were 6 points behind them with a GD that was worse by 17 goals, now 7 games later we are 6 ahead of them with a GD that is only 2 worse 

Wood in isolation isn't a good enough striker, that much is clear however he's clearly helped the team so it was a necessary signing and as things stand looks like the money was well spent.  

He occupies defenders and allows us to play further up the pitch. Obviously next season I hope we have someone that can do that but also be a goal threat too

Wood had improved us, yes, no disagreement from me. Weghorst has also improved Burnley. Both can be true.

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I like him. He doesn’t have confidence in front of goal but I like his all round game. 

He gives defenders something to think about it. He’s pretty mobile, strong, good in the air, makes decent runs, presses etc. 

He’s an integral cog in Eddie’s plan. For that Wood is good! 

4 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) Tweeted:
Eddie Howe on Chris Wood:

"I think he’s been outstanding since he’s arrived. He does a lot of the things people don’t necessarily see but he’s had a dramatic effect on the team. He’s given us the ability to retain the ball from loads of different situations." https://t.co/tOsExYoY5C

I agree with that think we'd have been fucked with out him and he's been a good signing. Hopefully he adds a few goals soon.

Edited by WillingtonMag

Sounds like a manager who wants to keep his striker's confidence up in a though run frankly. I haven't watched the HBA match, but in the ones before that I wouldn't say that Wood was really helping the team retain the ball all that well. His hold up and link up play is decent, but he's not the type of non-scoring focal point you'd build your attacking play around at all for me. I'd suggest Wilson does a better job at holding up the ball, dropping deep and working the channels.

Just now, Unbelievable said:

Sounds like a manager who wants to keep his striker's confidence up in a though run frankly. I haven't watched the HBA match, but in the ones before that I wouldn't say that Wood was really helping the team retain the ball all that well. His hold up and link up play is decent, but he's not the type of non-scoring focal point you'd build your attacking play around at all for me. I'd suggest Wilson does a better job at holding up the ball, dropping deep and working the channels.

His turn and through ball for our opening goal on Saturday was a very good bit of play. The week befoe he looked more like scoring - albeit he should have buried one header. Slowly but surely it looks like he's making an improvement. He's far from great, but I like him. He's bought into what we're trying to achieve here.

53 minutes ago, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

His turn and through ball for our opening goal on Saturday was a very good bit of play. The week befoe he looked more like scoring - albeit he should have buried one header. Slowly but surely it looks like he's making an improvement. He's far from great, but I like him. He's bought into what we're trying to achieve here.

That was the first sign I've seen of a player who can offer more than just goals. He actually showed glimpses of mobility as well.

He does offer presence up front even when he's not playing well.

44 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Just needs a goal…

He does, but just one won't stop the haters. He's 7 games in now, the damage is done. Don't see him scoring more than 3 for the rest of the season. That being said, I like what he offers and him coming in has been a huge part of keeping us up, just a shame for him personally really. 

Eddie Howe on Chris Wood:

"I think he’s been outstanding since he’s arrived. He does a lot of the things people don’t necessarily see but he’s had a dramatic effect on the team. He’s given us the ability to retain the ball from loads of different situations." 

1 hour ago, Mazzy said:

He does, but just one won't stop the haters. He's 7 games in now, the damage is done. Don't see him scoring more than 3 for the rest of the season. That being said, I like what he offers and him coming in has been a huge part of keeping us up, just a shame for him personally really. 

Regarding the bit in bold, "haters" can be proved wrong by improved performances. I used to be a Joelinton "hater", but like everyone I can't fault his performance level since his re-birth as a midfield enforcer. I am not saying that Chris Wood has not contributed to our recent upturn in form, he has, or that he can't improve, but I think it's fair to say more end product and better overall performances will be expected of him if he wants to keep a place in the first team when Wilson returns or even more so after a summer of transfer activity.

Guest HTT II

Aye he now needs to start doing his job which is to score goals, I haven’t been Impressed, but it’s undeniable he has contributed to the overall team dynamic since he joined, but then so has Shelvey and I’d get rid of him after this season.

8 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Regarding the bit in bold, "haters" can be proved wrong by improved performances. I used to be a Joelinton "hater", but like everyone I can't fault his performance level since his re-birth as a midfield enforcer. I am not saying that Chris Wood has not contributed to our recent upturn in form, he has, or that he can't improve, but I think it's fair to say more end product and better overall performances will be expected of him if he wants to keep a place in the first team when Wilson returns or even more so after a summer of transfer activity.

This. He's done a job, and at the end of the day if we thought spending £25m on him would keep us up, we'd all have took it in a heartbeat.

But that still doesn't make him good enough for where we hope to be next season, he'll become a squad player, and we'll bring in a top quality striker who has everything a club with CL ambitions needs.

If he is missing chances I’ll criticise him. Like I’ve said before we aren’t creating anything for him. He’s literally had a couple of chances since he signed. His teammates seem to appreciate the job he’s doing along with the management. He was bought for a specific job for this season.

If he only scores one goal this season, I just hope it's the winner against Burnley sending Dyche Vader into a meltdown.

Although, smashing in a thunderbastard from outside the box against Southampton would come pretty close.

But anyway, I quite like him - whatever way you look at it, he's a vital cog in the team right now.