Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

And to add on, he was clearly a stop gap short term signing. I’m pretty certain if we stay up we will be upgrading our CF and then woods would become third choice. 

Im not a fan and don’t think he’s great but he’s here to do a limited job and whilst we are get Toby the results I’m fine with it. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

So we're just writing him off as shite straight away, then, despite him only being a bit meh as opposed to actually shite? Cos one argument against it is that his career record is 1 in 3, including at the highest level. 

Think he's a fairly solid striker, but not in the role we need him to play in our current setup unfortunately. Wouldn't say he's shite.

5 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah he is unvaxxed, but so our some of our players. I think Weghorst is more than a lump like, he’s a decent footballer. It’s whether he can translate it to PL football but his assist last night was really good. 

Yeah, Weghorst is better technically and more of a traditional hold up player. Think he'd have suited us better than Wood.

15 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah he is unvaxxed, but so our some of our players. I think Weghorst is more than a lump like, he’s a decent footballer. It’s whether he can translate it to PL football but his assist last night was really good. 

Aye, I’m sure we have a fair few who are unvaccinated. But I don’t we want to pay higher insurance premiums or set an example that we are open so signing players with this attitude. 

That’s not to mention the fact if he contracts covid he would be out for awhile and who knows how the long covid could go, basically a massive gamble which you can choose to take, with our current players we don’t have much of a choice in that regard. 

Edited by r0cafella

19 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I’ve always thought he was a bad player. I thought the same at burnley. One argument against that is he has 3 goals and no assists this season. I just don’t think he’s a good player. His touch is poor, and he won’t link play.

Yea that’s a decent record but like I said when we signed him it’s contextual. Some players fit a certain system well. I’m going off what I’ve seen of him at burnley and here. He may well score, but his overall game is really bad, I’m not sure how that’s a controversial thing to say really. 

It's not. Some people are getting annoyed that he's attracting criticism, but in the end as long as we stay in the Premier, no one will be too bothered. That doesn't mean we can't say there were better options.

I can understand why we bought him btw, I thought it was a shrewd signing at the time, Premier experience and a reasonable goals record. I just didn't realise how bad the rest of his game is. I'm still hopeful he'll bag a few goals before the end of the season anyway, but would rather we bought someone who's hold up play was a lot better.

He needs to start positioning himself to nod headers down into Joe and Willock’s feet instead of flicking on as Fraser and Maxi won’t run beyond. In time Willock might do that. 

I think some people look at the best team at the moment (say Man City) and then judge all of our players by that perfect standard. Unless a player makes the perfect pass all the time, he’s called terrible or written off. It’s so needlessly binary. There’s a big sliding scale of playing ability. ASM is close to the top end. Wood is middle-ish. He’s not terrible and has room to improve as we learn to progress our team higher up the pitch consistently. 

Looks very clunky, like. Clearly lacking in confidence and desperate for a goal, but he might've had one last night had he been picked out by ASM at the end.

Still, he's only been dispossessed three times in three matches, won an average of 13 aerial duels per game (55% success), and is part of a nice little unbeaten run. He's also being asked to be a lot more involved in general play than he ever was at Burnley (~20% more touches per game), which is perhaps showing him up a bit in terms of his limitations.

Probably a 4/10 so far in terms of overall contribution. He's here to score goals and needs to start doing so soon, but he's still nowhere near his levels of 2017/18, 2019/20, and 2020/21 in terms of xG per 90 (0.29 for Burnley this season and 0.30 for us vs. 0.46 averaged over those three seasons).

5 hours ago, KaKa said:

Yes, you are right, however for that outlay it's more that we could have done a much better job of finding a better quality forward.

I think we over emphasised the premier league experience angle with him, which is unfortunate. However, he is contributing to us picking up points at the minute so no issues whatsoever.

Any other player would have taken 2/3 more weeks to sign. 

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

Any other player would have taken 2/3 more weeks to sign. 

Yes, absolutely. A very good point actually. As we had a very pressing need for a striker for upcoming games, and the release clause made it a very straightforward deal.

There was a lot to like about his performance last night, particularly the way he occupies opponents and creates space, but he looks dire in front of goal. It's most likely a confidence issue given it's always been one of his stronger attributes.

7 hours ago, loki679 said:

Nobody is doubting his effort, he's just not very good and we could have done better for the price we paid. 

In that same time frame? With that same pedigree? We exploited an exit clause because we knew the majority wouldn't want to do business. We also have barely created chances for him. Give him a few headers or chances between the posts he'll get a few goals.

3 hours ago, ManDoon said:

He’s pony like, I don’t see any argument against that. Simply having a body up front is likely helping us win games, but he is not holding the ball up or troubling defenders. 

He literally helped set up the second game. 

Edited by Thiago

This thread has turned into exactly what I expected, people falling over themselves to justify his signing/contribution to the team because he can’t hit a barn door.

As I’ve said, he’s done nothing so far that any generic big lump striker couldn’t achieve.

Hopefully he’ll get better because we’ll need a contribution from him as players like Trippier, Fraser and own goals won’t go in every week.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

11 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

By playing a five yard pass to ASM.  “Helped set up”. Yes that makes sense. Scraping the barrel. Btw his replacement literally already has one more assist than Wood this season. He’s played two games. So yeah I think it’s possible to find someone.

He also had a “header between the posts” last night. Completely unchallenged. Have you ever considered hes not getting chances because his movement is not very good?. It doesn’t exist in a vaccuum you know. When people start using “pre assists” as ways to defend players you know it’s over. 

No he played it to Joelinton, who played it to Maxi. The point is he's involved, he's not a passenger.

Of course Weghorst has an assist. He and Wood are similar types of players, so the transition for Weghorst to Burnley is significantly easier than Wood to us. We're trying to play it on the ground and get it to. wingers that don't cross. 

I'm not using pre-assists to defend him. I'm saying give the lad a breathe to get settled and score goals because right now he's doing enough to justify selection. Yes, his movement can be better, but, so too could the chances created for him. 

Just because I can see what he's offering and you refuse to agree doesn't mean he's been shite. 

Edited by Thiago

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Man’s talking about a 5 yard pass to joelinton, as if it’s contributed somehow lol. It’s madness. I’d expect someone off the forum to make that pass. Pre-pre assists being used man. Unreal to see. 

He's played three games. But sure you keep patronising someone that disagrees. At least I've kept civil. 

Is it not quite remarkable he’s only got 7 assists in the PL (147 games)?

Would expect a target man to get quite a few, particularly playing regularly and almost always a guaranteed starter.

By comparison, Mitro surpassed that figure easily in three years in a struggling Fulham side.

Just a terrible signing really, but hopefully he’ll contribute enough (or those around him will) to not make it significant. Would be extremely concerned if he’s playing for us next season.

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

“Just because I can see what he offers” isn’t patronizing? Righto Chief. If you want to debate the merits of Chris Wood go for it. It frankly isn’t worth it to me. 0 assists 0 goals. He’s a striker. 

Just the 22 posts from you in this thread in the last 16 hours, come on man. :lol:

He's been pretty fucking poor so far, even his #1 fan can admit to that. I'd still rather have him than some big, unvaccinated Dutch wank that sounds like a sausage, though.

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Is it not quite remarkable he’s only got 7 assists in the PL (147 games)?

Would expect a target man to get quite a few, particularly playing regularly and almost always a guaranteed starter.

By comparison, Mitro surpassed that figure easily in three years in a struggling Fulham side.

Just a terrible signing really, but hopefully he’ll contribute enough (or those around him will) to not make it significant. Would be extremely concerned if he’s playing for us next season.

There's no way he'll be starting next season. He was an emergency signing, and in no way will he be good enough beyond the next few months. But if we stay up at least it can be said it was a price worth paying. I'm inclined to agree we could have bought better though. He's struggling to control the ball at present, but tbh he had a decent goal return before this season.