Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

Just now, ManDoon said:

Yeah, whether it’s just coincidence that Wood/trips have the same agent idk, don’t want to end up in a situation where we are getting players through one guy though. 

Just a guess, but I think the agent likely let that slip re a release clause and suddenly NUFC were interested - they likely weren't before.  No-one around us would sell at this point.

9 minutes ago, HWTL said:

If we had bought him for £5 million there would still be people moaning why super rich owners only spend that, we needed a ST before Saturday and he was probably the only one we could get in time. Let's wait and see how he does and who else we bring in before January.

That's just it. Taken out of context, all this debate is of course fine, but there are a few on here who are going to complain no matter what. And that is specifically the issue that I, and I imagine some others, have. This place is a great resource for information, but damn do we have to suffer through some insufferable behavior to get it.

And just to reiterate. There is often as much of a gulf between pessimism and realism as there is between realism and optimism. The thing is, I would much rather be around a blind optimist than a blind pessimist.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

Just now, ManDoon said:

Thing is football is completely based on recency bias. You can see this with coutinho, his value has plunged due to his drop in form. Same would happen to salah, same will likely happen to Kane, we’ve seen Sean Longstaff go from 25m to 1m.

Clubs are basing their price on where you are at now not what you did in the past 

Yeah, they're fair points - but I don't think Burnley would have sold him to us for 40m without the clause.  Just a guess, mind - their new owners may have a different take!

Just now, ManDoon said:

Thing is football is completely based on recency bias. You can see this with coutinho, his value has plunged due to his drop in form. Same would happen to salah, same will likely happen to Kane, we’ve seen Sean Longstaff go from 25m to 1m.

Clubs are basing their price on where you are at now not what you did in the past 

It's not like Wood is flying - that's why I am struggling to get why people think Wood is suddenly going to score the goals.  He's been poor this season - 'hence' why Burnley are also in the bottom 3.  Normally you scout players and pick those on current form, not that from two seasons ago.

I think it's Eddie using his Burnley connections - just like Gerrard has done with Coutinho.

If it gets us out the shit in the short term I'm good with that.

We can look for better players all over going forward, but right now we need something for Saturday.

Just now, DMLeazesender said:

I think it's Eddie using his Burnley connections - just like Gerrard has done with Coutinho.

If it gets us out the shit in the short term I'm good with that.

We can look for better players all over going forward, but right now we need something for Saturday.

It means we can field a striker yes - jury is out if he'll get us goals.

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

It's also worth bearing in mind that after 17 games last season Wood too only had scored 3 goals. He finished the season their top scorer with 12.

Let's pray he does the same then. 

Not that I care how much we paid, but you really need to factor in the benefit of taking the main striker away from a relegation rival as well. It's not as simple as saying it's £25m for Chris Wood, there's extra incentive to pay it because of that context.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Cornet has been handy for Burnley as teams have to think about playing a high line against them now. Trying to implement a new style mid-season could be a massive risk for a squad that have played one way for a few years though. We're seeing that now.

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah,  I was just reading that on their forum. Seems strange. Maybe an anomaly maybe not. 

Sure Burnley we’re struggling first half of the season and then turned it around. 

2 minutes ago, DMLeazesender said:

Agree,,,,but we could sign someone else by end of Jan - this is an emergency measure. he might not score the goals but he's a distraction for defenders.

But he at least CAN score goals O0 :indi:

Edited by PauloGeordio

6 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

It's also worth bearing in mind that after 17 games last season Wood too only had scored 3 goals. He finished the season their top scorer with 12.

That's a good point. Someone on the Burnley forum I browsed through said the same:

Eddie has obviously been looking at Wood's record over his seasons at Burnley and has noted that from his 19 th league game of the season he has scored goals.
2017/18 game 19 to 27 = 6 goals: 2018/19 game 19 to 34 = 9 goals: 2019/20 game 19 to 32 = 7 goals and 2020/21 game 19 to 39 =9 goals.
Over 67% of his goals have come in the second half of the season and this season he is in exactly the same position that he was last season with 3 goals.

However you also got takes like these:

They've just handed us a financial lifeline, we were completely doomed with Wood upfront. Finance to freshen up the squad is exactly what we needed and they've just come with it. Hopefully we can scrape a few more quid out of them for Tarkowski. Wood's a carthorse, complete useless sack of shite unless he's poaching a goal.

Don't mind the signing at all but don't like the apparent fee.

Paying arguably four times as much as what's he's actually worth.. sets a pretty bad precedent and not to mention it affect on what we are allowed to spend within financial fair play rules.

Hoping those concerns are rubbished this time next week - when we have a win and hopefully have some more ambitious signings through the door.

Just now, ManDoon said:

Guess it’s shit or bust for them right now, their style is fucking them. They were going down with wood at present I’m not sure they were turning it around. It’s definitely interesting to see what they do with the money. 

I just can't see them attracting decent players in their position and/or their owners being willing to pay the January/desperation premium.