Jesse Lingard

Just now, bowlingcrofty said:

He can’t sign a contract with us until his Man United one expires.

He can only sign a pre contract agreement with an overseas team.

That is new information.  I thought pre-contracts could be signed in the last 6 months of existing contract?

2 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

That is new information.  I thought pre-contracts could be signed in the last 6 months of existing contract?

Only with clubs who aren’t in the same country as your current club. 

It’s to avoid a conflict of interest in case your current club plays your new club.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

For the same reasons as Tarkowski, pass.

They aren’t comparable in terms of ability.

With FFP in mind you don’t turn your nose up at top 10 quality players on free transfers at the stage our project is currently at.

I tend to judge most of our rumoured transfer links through 3 lenses: what’s their ability, what’s their attitude, and what would Bruno think? 

Bruno would be disgusted playing with Tarkowski for a year, the non-technical donkey clogger. But I think Bruno would get onboard with Lingard and see we were building towards Europa League and up

5 minutes ago, greydos said:

I tend to judge most of our rumoured transfer links through 3 lenses: what’s their ability, what’s their attitude, and what would Bruno think? 

Bruno would be disgusted playing with Tarkowski for a year, the non-technical donkey clogger. But I think Bruno would get onboard with Lingard and see we were building towards Europa League and up

Going on the basis of "What would Bruno think?", I think actually Lingard has a very good reputation in terms of being a good role model and a big personality in the dressing room. I get impression he'd be a instant hit with his new teammates regardless of what club he ends up at. 

Ugh, really hope this one doesn't go through. Nothing player pushing 30 on massive wages stepping down looking for his last big pay day. What could possibly go wrong. 

Edited by Conjo

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I'd be interested to see where we play him.

All depends what system/formation we play next season and that in turn will most likely depend on who we can sign.

Another tick in the Lingard box is his ability to play in a few different positions. 

Would be really, really disappointed if we signed him. I think we should be looking at talented prospects that Eddie can mould, not aged, entitled, big timing mercenaries.

Also, never forget that he turned us down before because he didn't have the bottle for a relegation scrap. Zero loyalty.

4 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

All depends what system/formation we play next season and that in turn will most likely depend on who we can sign.

Another tick in the Lingard box is his ability to play in a few different positions. 

He looks at his best through the middle, where he can carry the ball on the counter. He looks pony out wide.

Would come in and be our first choice starting RW instantly filling a big part of our squad for no fee, a big win not having to shell out £30/40m for an expensive position and still securing a quality player. As long as he takes a pay cut and is happy with somewhere around 100k pw I think it makes sense for both parties, has a point to prove at the stage/age of his career.. just hope he drops the cringe J Lingz/dancing/L sign celebration.

Hes PL proven. Not every player we sign will be a young up and comer that needs to moulded into a PL player over multiple season, a balance is always good in that sense.

Edited by Nine

23 minutes ago, Smal said:

They aren’t comparable in terms of ability.

With FFP in mind you don’t turn your nose up at top 10 quality players on free transfers at the stage our project is currently at.

Nonsense it’s the one way you end up with FFP problems. Signing out of contract prima donnas on the slide to long term expensive contracts is the road to ruin.

You can always make an exception, but we absolutely can turn our noses up at top 10 out of contract players.