Jesse Lingard

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Are people dead at 30 now lol. 

No, but it means they haven’t got long left at the highest level, especially as an attacking player, unless they’re Ronaldo / Messi / Ibra level. And even more so when they rely on speed and fitness. This would presumably be Lingaards last contract and as such would want much more than the 100k he’s currently on. A purple patch at West Ham doesn’t indicate to me that he’d be worth the cash, especially at his age. 

26 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

Salah and KDB were big six cast offs…think that turned out alright for the teams that ended up with them.

They were hardly given an opportunity to prove themselves at Chelsea from which anyone could arrive at any kind of conclusion, it's a disingenuous comparison. Aside from age (which is definitely a factor to consider), players who have demonstrated they don't fit the ambitions of the top clubs should be left for mid-table clubs to pursue if they want, we should aim higher. 

Edited by Barnes23

12 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

If the reports are true he wanted to join on loan but not on a permanent deal, whilst Man-U were willing to sell him on a permanent or even loan with a ludicrous staying up bonus

We rightly walked away from the deal but the fact is he didn't badly want to join us, which is fair enough but I think he wanted to see his contract out so he could then command much higher wages 

I'm pretty sure all the reports at the end of the January transfer window were saying Lingard was happy to come whatever the situation but Man Utd kept moving the goalposts

17 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Could be worse. I know people who are 30 and still live with their parents. 

This a confession? 

6 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I'm pretty sure all the reports at the end of the January transfer window were saying Lingard was happy to come whatever the situation but Man Utd kept moving the goalposts

There were plenty of reports saying he only wanted a loan move and to reevaluate at the end of the season in order to get his new big signing on fee as a free agent. 
eg:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/8325478/man-utd-lingard-loan-move-newcastle-interest/amp/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10419497/amp/Newcastle-rebuffed-Manchester-United-sign-Jesse-Lingard-loan.html

“Lingard favours a loan over a permanent transfer, enabling him to keep his options open”

Edited by Manxst

Going to be a delicate balancing act this summer of strengthening the first XI and being a bit canny with the transfers. Players like Lingard being brought in without a fee whilst selling their previous incumbent means we an prioritise the cash in the key areas. Shifting, for arguments sake, Almiron on for about £12m and replacing him with Lingard would be a smart move - improves the first XI and generates cash towards a CF. I don't think anyone is under the illusion that he's going to be here for the next 7 years and retire here but it suits both parties for a couple of seasons. It's all about getting the balance. 

1 minute ago, Joey Linton said:

Can't get minutes in the worst Man United side in 30 odd years or whatever it is. 

He was behind a few dressing room leaks and was putting up pictures of him in a West Ham kit while he was still a Man United player. He probably would have had more minutes only for that. 

Above all though, he's shite. Genuinely think your lot should be aiming a lot higher than his level. 

1 hour ago, ManDoon said:

Not sure I’ve ever seen him act a prima donna. He’s a little immature for me to get on board with but he’s been pretty professional his whole career 

Not him in particular, but the notion we should be all over any top 10 player on a free who’s available.

I wouldn’t turn my nose up at JL, but wouldn’t want a Paul Pogba or someone like that looking for one last pay day. I think you get success in our position by signing the likes of Bruno and hungry younger players in the main.

1 hour ago, ManDoon said:

You need bridge players in rebuilds though, he has tons of experience and has played at the highest level. That’s good to have at your club. 

This is definitely the attitude we should be having towards our transfer business, like. It's how it's going to pan out for the next couple of windows I reckon. It's what we did with Burn, Targett (only loan to boot) and Wood. We'll do that again. For all I wouldn't particularly want Lingard I wouldnt be against him coming. He's never been a "winger" imo but atm if he's a Newcastle player he starts and in place of one of our "wingers". And he'd likely be our best performing "winger". 

Older ex Man Utd players have generally been the absolute pits in the past. Yeah he's a bit younger and that loan at West Ham was very impressive, but... Would rather not, personally. 

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I’d take Pogba all day like, I think this man United team has been a mess for ages. Pogba is great for France 

Not for me lazy and always looks disinterested, 1 good game in 10 if you’re lucky.

He’s not played a lot for a 30 year old so would be expecting him to have 2-3 good years left. Perfect bridge player for us right now IMO. Starter next season and decent squad player after that with his versatility.

Gotta be weary of players coming from a bad spell at other clubs looking to cash in on a repuation just for the pay packet imo

Maybe it's a bit naive/easier said than done but I'd rather we go for players like Guimaraes - that sort of place in their career

Just now, Chicane said:

Gotta be weary of players coming from a bad spell at other clubs looking to cash in on a repuation just for the pay packet imo

Maybe it's a bit naive/easier said than done but I'd rather we go for players like Guimaraes - that sort of place in their career

I think the World Cup means he’ll be highly motivated.

1 minute ago, Chicane said:

Not really in a bad spell is he? Was good for West Ham then just hasn't really played for Man United since and they wouldn't let him leave until now. 

I don't think there are any rules you always need to completely abide by when it comes to signing players from certain places like. If Lingard's attitude is right and Howe/Ashworth can vouch for it, that's fine by me.

Man United by most accounts isn't the healthiest environment for players to flourish at the moment and I think a lot of the attitude/primadonna stuff surrounding him is an assumption made about him because he, in the nicest possible way, goes on like a bit of a tit. :lol:

Again, the England version of Lingard is a player I've liked for a while and he was really good at West Ham. If we got that player even for a season or two and him being on a free didn't mess up the wage dynamic, I'd be happy with him as a signing.

Regardless of where he goes Man U's treatment of him over the last 6 months has been shocking. Blocked a move that would have generated cash via a fee, saved wages for 5 months and severely pissed off a player who had been there for years. All for the sake of 3 poxy appearances in 4 months. Dreadful management of the squad, the player and the club finances. Obtuse and backward logic. 

1 hour ago, AJ9 said:

Salah and KDB were big six cast offs…think that turned out alright for the teams that ended up with them.

They were also significantly younger with higher potential.

Howe’s ability to motivate players who know they are done here after this season is the thing I’m most impressed. I see almost no risk with Lingard coming and only collecting his paycheck.