Jesse Lingard

Lingard was so attractive a proposition in January because he was ready to go into the team having experience of the PL and having shown that a move could invigorate him into performing how he did at West Ham and we were properly in the shit. We’re no longer in that position; we need players who can perform in the Premier League but should have a preseason to bed them in. Not sure that we need him anymore, he’s pret-a-porter when we should be getting bespoke

• 5 months later...

Glad we didn’t go for him. Extra happy we didn’t go for DCL like some on here wanted to :lol: Could smell it from miles away like a polar bear smells a seal that he would have issues with injuries and that his career might be going in the wrong direction. What a awful signing he would have been.

These things are sliding doors moments anyway. There's every chance that if he had come here in January it would have worked out. The environment you're in can make all the difference. 

Having said that, he was a January only signing anyway. I don't think anyone wanted him once we were safe. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Still think there’s a decent player in there. Like, someone said above re. Sliding door moments and all that…

Just don’t think he has the ability to justify £200,000 p/w or whatever. He seems to care more about earning money than playing football. 

You can't make any judgement on how someone would have worked out at Nottingham Forest versus us under Howe. We clearly are properly coached, the players are motivated and we have so much positivity around this club. Same goes for DCL, who yes has been injury prone and fallen off badly, but there is no way to say he couldn't have been fantastic under Howe. 

Wanted him in January when we were desperate. Would've taken him in the summer if the club saw fit but was happy to miss out for the money he wanted. Fine to never see us linked to him again.

4 minutes ago, Kanji said:

You can't make any judgement on how someone would have worked out at Nottingham Forest versus us under Howe. We clearly are properly coached, the players are motivated and we have so much positivity around this club. Same goes for DCL, who yes has been injury prone and fallen off badly, but there is no way to say he couldn't have been fantastic under Howe. 

Probably spot on. Him going there not showing any proper hunger says a thing or two about his character though. Money is more important for him than playing and achieving something. He is not a youngster anymore. 

Edited by Ikon

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I guess if you think a 'top team' doesn't want you, you might decide to focus on getting the most money from whoever you can. 

True, personally I think he would have been better off trying to find some middle ground between top teams and Notthingham. He would have earned slightly less maybe. However, say that he earns a lot in one year like now but does badly in a poor team then my guess is that in the long term he will earn less then he would if he had gone to somewhere like say West Ham.  I don’t see any top teams wanting him. Neither will he get even close to the wage he gets now. Probably will get less than he was offered by various teams before this season.

32 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I guess if you think a 'top team' doesn't want you, you might decide to focus on getting the most money from whoever you can. 

Didn’t he turn West Ham down in favour of Nott Forest? 

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

Yea, Howe versus the German Tank Commander isn't apples to apples.

I thought getting him in Jan would have nailed on our survival but as a panic buy that thereafter could be a problem wage/age-wise and someone who is on a steep downward trajectory not matching our clubs.

Wages wise and unsettling possible effects, I think we'd have got better use out of him and might be a 1% or two better than we are now, but overall was never worth it on the face of it.