Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

26 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

Can't get anyone thinking Bruno is anything other than unbelievable. He's beyond what I even hoped he could be when we signed him. He's everything you want a midfielder of his type to be, and his pairing with a box to box type with Joelinton just let's us run games where prior to those two in midfield we couldn't even compete

Absolute genius signing. I still can’t believe he plays for us tbh, the fact he came when we were likely to get relegated too.

Seems like a top lad as well. Could go down as one of our best ever players surely? Hope he stays and enjoys our rise. 

He’s performed so much better then I expected and so far, way above his price tag.

That becomes a burden if the recruitment team expect every player they want to be that much better than the price.

You only get THAT lucky now and again.

34 minutes ago, Lotus said:

He’s performed so much better then I expected and so far, way above his price tag.

That becomes a burden if the recruitment team expect every player they want to be that much better than the price.

You only get THAT lucky now and again.

Yeah I was expecting Cabaye but he's so much better than that even.

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Cabaye really wasn't all that. I had Bruno down as our best midfielder since Rob Lee and he's pretty comfortably already that in terms of quality.

Expecting Rob Lee would have been a bit much mind. The guy was here for 10 years. Made himself a club legend.

Now? It looks like we might have got exactly that. Similar circumstances and Howe told him that the flights to Newcastle were actually quicker than flights to London, because you spend less time circling.

Edited by Happinesstan

3 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Expecting Rob Lee would have been a bit much mind. The guy was here for 10 years. Made himself a club legend.

I'm talking purely in terms of quality at this stage and on that basis I did expect him to be our best midfielder since Rob Lee. Watching his highlights the quality was clear as day.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Cabaye was very good mind just not for a great length of time by the time he left he was already declining in mobility and by the time he ended up at Crystal palace he was just a slow defensive mid who liked to do wild tackles. Not Bruno's caliber of course but he was very good

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'm talking purely in terms of quality at this stage and on that basis I did expect him to be our best midfielder since Rob Lee. Watching his highlights the quality was clear as day.

I didn't really watch his highlights, tbh. 

EDIT Actually I did. Looked more like a Cabaye, dictating from the middle, than a Lee, who was at his best in and around the box.

Edited by Happinesstan

Still can't quite believe how good he is and that we have him.  I was pondering where he fits in our best midfielders of the last 30 years or so - I'd say he's a level or two above Cabaye from what I've seen so far.

I think people tend to forget how good Rob Lee really was at his peak - he's one of those players who is a bit forgotten about (certainly outside NUFC fans).  I don't know if it's simply the passage of time or if his type of central midfielder has fallen out of fashion a bit?

55 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Cabaye really wasn't all that. I had Bruno down as our best midfielder since Rob Lee and he's pretty comfortably already that in terms of quality.

I really liked Cabaye at the time (and still do) but Bruno is comfortably better than him at pretty much everything besides shooting.

Apples and oranges, but just a reminder that at Rob Lee's peak (94/95, especially the first half) he got 14 goals and 8 assists in 44 games from midfield. That's a goal or assist every other game. Imagine signing someone like him now :drool:

1 minute ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

I am struggling to think of a better footballer who has played for us. 

Beardsley, Gazza, Shearer, Ginola? :lol:

I'm not downplaying Bruno like, I totally get this level of hype about him because I'm thinking the same things. He's absolutely class, a player where you have to literally cite club legends and the absolute best of the best in order to think of someone better. 

14 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

I watched tonnes of Rob Lee live. Saw virtually every home game and plenty away. This guy is better.

You're probably right from a technique/skill perspective, but they're just such different players I'm not sure it's an easy comparison to make.

17 minutes ago, Hughesy said:

Still can't quite believe how good he is and that we have him.  I was pondering where he fits in our best midfielders of the last 30 years or so - I'd say he's a level or two above Cabaye from what I've seen so far.

I think people tend to forget how good Rob Lee really was at his peak - he's one of those players who is a bit forgotten about (certainly outside NUFC fans).  I don't know if it's simply the passage of time or if his type of central midfielder has fallen out of fashion a bit?

Can't forget Rob Lee, he was the epitome of my best times supporting the club. Although Kilcline will always be my favourite Keegan signing,  Lee symbolises the point that we moved on up. The fact he stayed 10 years makes him a legend. And his disallowed goal vs Brentford will remain one of life's unsolved mysteries.

If Bruno can stay for ten years he'll be right there next to him. Just with a bit more flair.

Cabaye was a star that had already burned brightly, in another galaxy. We got a good few years out of him, but hs legend status belongs elsewhere.

When we were signing Bruno I only dared hope for a Cabaye. Now he's been here 6 months I'm dreaming of anther Rob Lee.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Beardsley, Gazza, Shearer, Ginola? :lol:

I'm not downplaying Bruno like, I totally get this level of hype about him because I'm thinking the same things. He's absolutely class, a player where you have to literally cite club legends and the absolute best of the best in order to think of someone better. 

To a certain degree it's how you quantify a footballer which means different things to different people. He may not have the scoring prowess of those mentioned but some of the things he can do with a ball are just as impressive. You're going back (at least) the best part of 30 years to those players at their best form so as you say apples and oranges. 

It's his completeness and intelligence for me. 

1 minute ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

To a certain degree it's how you quantify a footballer which means different things to different people. He may not have the scoring prowess of those mentioned but some of the things he can do with a ball are just as impressive. You're going back (at least) the best part of 30 years to those players at their best form so as you say apples and oranges. 

It's his completeness and intelligence for me. 

Yeah, he has a completeness to his game (goals aside) that it's hard to pin on anyone else, but that in itself is just his strength like the others have different strengths too. I think you would say Beardsley for example makes up for it in the skills, goals, and assists department, where he lacks the defensive side that Bruno has.