Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

One thing that I have noticed is, that he really has weird technique to strike a ball. I mean, he really very rarely makes long passes, and seems to take an age to load a a bit longer pass. He had a good shot against Villa, but seems like he can't kick the ball hard easily. Like Tonali who plays quick long one touch pass behind the defensive line or switches play to other side. Bruno always plays the shorter passes.

If Tonali has played in that DM position for Milan and we know Bruno operates better playing further up, is that nit an option to entertain? There’s a clear gap between midfield and up front so we’re solely relying on your wide-men.

We just lack that threat there and of course because we don’t have anyone particularly designated to DM, it just looks messy and unorganised. 

It’s definitely not an easy job when it comes to who’s name you put on that team sheet, but I think we really do need to look at other potential options we can focus on in our shape and player roles. 

Edited by Geordie Boyo

8 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

One thing that I have noticed is, that he really has weird technique to strike a ball. I mean, he really very rarely makes long passes, and seems to take an age to load a a bit longer pass. He had a good shot against Villa, but seems like he can't kick the ball hard easily. Like Tonali who plays quick long one touch pass behind the defensive line or switches play to other side. Bruno always plays the shorter passes.

It's been evident for ages, but you get ridiculed by the masters. He admitted to his 'team' that his shooting was shite 

4 minutes ago, Geordie Boyo said:

If Tonali has played in that DM position for Milan and we know Bruno operates better playing further up, is that nit an option to entertain? There’s a clear gap between midfield and up front so we’re solely relying on your wide-men.

We just lack that threat there and of course because we don’t have anyone particularly designated to DM, it just looks messy and unorganised. 

It’s definitely not an easy job when it comes to who’s name you put on that team sheet, but I think we really do need to look at other potential options we can focus on in our shape and player roles. 

Tonali has not played as a no 6 for Milan. 

11 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

He seems more lethargic in all his actions. I don’t know if stats (km run) could support that, but his conditioning seems worse than last season.

I know his ankle was troubling him last season, did he ever have surgery / treatment on that?

1 hour ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I reckon there’s something up with him behind the scenes and his contractural situation. 

Or maybe he just worked better when he had willing runners around him like Longstaff, Joelinton and Willock. Not sure him and Tonali are going to work if we are playing an intensity is our identity style.

Said from day one, an amazing footballer but not an athlete. Asking him to be your deepest MF is not working, once a player gets the wrong side he will never catch them. 

None of our three today wanted to run back, unusual for Big Joe, Tonali seemed to be the most attacking and Joe was fucked, so why play him. The mix is all to pot! That's Howe - and no I don't want him gone.

This season is not a reward to last year's team, it's a new season. Earn it! Maybe all the Champions League and Amazon talk, and a few have dropped their levels.

Just now, Geordie Boyo said:

He has. He’s either played in a defensive role or centrally in midfield. 

In a double pivot. Not as alone no 6 like a traditional DM.

And again, I don't see Tonali being the solution. Even his passing stats clearly shows he is not a player for that position. Bruno's passing is better, but my god he takes too much time on the ball. 

1 minute ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

Said from day one, an amazing footballer but not an athlete. Asking him to be your deepest MF is not working, once a player gets the wrong side he will never catch them. 

None of our three today wanted to run back, unusual for Big Joe, Tonali seemed to be the most attacking and Joe was fucked, so why play him. The mix is all to pot! That's Howe - and no I don't want him gone.

This season is not a reward to last year's team, it's a new season. Earn it! Maybe all the Champions League and Amazon talk, and a few have dropped their levels.

I'm not even sure he was "the" deepest lying. Seemed like they tried to rotate it and none of them got it right and for what it's worth him being the deepest lying worked for a season and a half.

1 minute ago, KingArthur said:

In a double pivot. Not as alone no 6 like a traditional DM.

And again, I don't see Tonali being the solution. Even his passing stats clearly shows he is not a player for that position. Bruno's passing is better, but my god he takes too much time on the ball. 

Also playing as a number 6 in Italy probably requires a different skillset to playing one in England.

5 minutes ago, madras said:

I'm not even sure he was "the" deepest lying. Seemed like they tried to rotate it and none of them got it right and for what it's worth him being the deepest lying worked for a season and a half.

He has zero recovery pace in that position and now we're being picked off in the pocket every game. Last year, we had Sean Longstaff and Joelinton chasing back to cover.

To my point, Tonali seemed to be asked to not concentrate on coming back as much and Big Joe was not there physically today to bail him out.

Someone has to sit. For me, Tonali should, at least he has a turn of pace!

Feels like it's impossible to criticize a few of our players on here, yes I love Bruno, but he's been 6/10 since last Christmas and very very slow.

Edited by Oregon_Geordie

1 minute ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

He has zero recovery pace in that position and now we're being picked off in the pocket every game. Last year, we had Sean Longstaff and Joelinton chasing back to cover.

To my point, Tonali seemed to be asked to not concentrate on coming back as much and Big Joe was not there physically today to bail him out.

Someone has to sit. For me, Tonali should, at least he has a turn of pace!

Feels like it's impossible to criticize a few of our players on here, yes I love Bruno, but he's been 6/10 since last Christmas and very very slow.

Yeah, not enough of an athlete to be a 6, it’s a waste of what he’s good at.

I’m not sure what the solution is. I will always trust that Eddie Howe will and understand why he perseveres. There’s no doubt both Bruno and Tonali have been huge signings. Of course I take into consideration the difficult games we’ve had to contend with so far, but it’s clear somethings not working and our heads have dipped. This is where Eddie comes in and I’m sure he will make a couple of changes not only to perform better, but to ruffle one or two feathers so everyone shows how competitive they are to play. 

maybe as a DM we could play Sch…..shhhhh, I think I hear something. Erm, maybe as a DM we could play Burn ! Aye I know it sounds shit, but he can pass, lacks the pace so he can just sit there in front and behind those who do have it. Maybe Longstaff who’s great at falling down and whining like a fanny to win a free-kick there. What about Joelinton, who likes to lose his shit unnecessarily? 

aye, I’ve got no idea [emoji38]

Edited by Geordie Boyo

1 hour ago, nemtizz said:

He does, but we don't have the options. Other 2 need to be hooked before him.

Was going to say. Bruno is still undroppable for this team. I think Big Joe needs to be the first one out for now, unless Willock is back soon because the Gordon would have to give place imo.

Problem today was that we should have played two defensive midfielders and one infront of them.

Brighton pushed up one of their midfielders(Gross) and that made Bruno have to mark two, or at times Burn to mark both Gross and Ferguson.

It’s funny. A few of us remarked he looked a bit slow when he joined and it became a joke because he was so good and aggressive etc.  but like now…. He’s actually slow. 

But I blame the system and tactics more than anything for his and the entire midfields performances in the main. They’ve all looked off or done silly things but it’s the system in the main that isn’t working.