Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

Ah, back to having a go at players on social media.

We're not going to handle any kind of setback well now we've only just had a small sniff of success huh?

Sure this is all going to end really well.

Just now, KaKa said:

Ah, back to having a go at players on social media.

We're not going to handle any kind of setback well now we've only just had a small sniff of success huh?

Sure this is all going to end really well.

Self destruction is the Newcastle way don't you know?

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I thought he was brilliant today. 

Then he went and did that. Staggeringly stupid attempt at a pass.

Finding it hard not to be absolutely fucking raging at him like. 🙃

It's strange cos this is exactly how I saw it, thought he was having one of his best games in a long time but then seeing loads of comments of people slating him for being poor

Wonder whether we watched a different game or whether people have allowed the mistake at the end cloud their judgement 

2 hours ago, Sempiternal said:

He’s repeatedly caught in posession in the exact same places, the exact same way at the minute. He was good at avoiding pressure, not sure what’s happened 

Teams are keying in on him big time in those deep areas.

I miss him playing as a number 8 without having to do so much in those deeper areas. 

Still maintain when he was further up and Shelvey was deep, was when he was at his best.

Wish we'd have got a more athletic rugged DM that could pass a bit, so that Bruno could just be further up not having to battle so much.

In fact just watching that last goal back ... it's such a high risk pass to make from that position and at that moment.

We really could do with a DM that doesn't take so many risks from that position. Great when it comes off but so dangerous and often costly when it doesn't.

Really difficult to be too mad at Bruno because he has stated a preference to play further up, but it seems it's not something we're looking to do anymore.

6 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I thought he was brilliant today. 

Then he went and did that. Staggeringly stupid attempt at a pass.

Finding it hard not to be absolutely fucking raging at him like. 🙃

Sometimes he just tries too hard - looking for the Hollywood pass. His brilliance when he first joined was that he kept it simple. 

I remember a quote about Isak in the Athletic, think it was from a former coach at AIK, along the lines of "he doesn't get too high in the good moments or low in the bad moments. It's a good trait to have".

Bruno definitely does not have that trait.

5 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

These new wum sign ups need looking into, plenty in the last 18 months lurking around, and waiting for days like today to pounce.

Can spot them a mile away.

Yup totally agree. We used to do the same to RTG until they locked it down.

He was good yesterday, problem is A) he has no recovery pace B) he sometimes keeps the ball too long. You can clearly see he is not a no 6 in traditional way. it benefits us that he can play those nice passes to tight areas, but it would be more useful to have him higher and receiving the ball in tight spaces, winning free kicks etc. Still think our tactic with 3 box-to-box midfielders is not the best way.

He was much better for us further up the pitch when he first came. He was scoring and creating goals but we had Shelvey then who sat in front of the back 4 a bit like a quarter back. Maybe we should have signed a top more defensive midfielder to replace Shelvey and kept Bruno where he was.  

10 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

He was much better for us further up the pitch when he first came. He was scoring and creating goals but we had Shelvey then who sat in front of the back 4 a bit like a quarter back. Maybe we should have signed a top more defensive midfielder to replace Shelvey and kept Bruno where he was.  

Maybe try Joelinton as the defensive midfielder and play Bruno and Tonali in front of him?

Tonali can sit more surely, I’d have him primarily as a 6 for now, I’d rather see him in those deep positions especially near the end of games when we need to be sensible which I think he would be. Get Bruno higher up away from our own goal. 

Remember, Bruno came in and was the stand out midfielder and deservedly so.

We now have Tonali and Joelinton in with him and that can take the edge of what people look for in Bruno and rather seeing all the good he does, one mistake can be picked out and amplified to the point of head scratching.

Let's not do too much to make him feel like an outcast because these digs by some can escalate to a point where losing him may not be a favourable outcome.

Take the good and the great when it's there and also take the bad when it happens because football is about hope not expectation.

1 hour ago, Toon No9 said:

Maybe try Joelinton as the defensive midfielder and play Bruno and Tonali in front of him?

This does not solve the issue when we have possession. Joelinton is a ball winner and an aggressive forward looking midfielder. We would need someone in the mold of Fabinho. Who can break up play, play the easy pass and defend the are in front of our back 4. When we lose the ball there is sometimes acres of space in front of our CBs. And that is because usually Bruno is not there, or he is the one losing the ball. A solid DM would allow our full backs to push up and wingers to come inside.

Prime Cheick Tiote would be great there. 

1 hour ago, Toon No9 said:

Joelinton also takes some time to get the ball under control, he was magnificent yesterday, but there are times when he gets surrounded and is battling three players for possession. You need someone who can get a hold of the ball quickly and move it before anyone gets close.

Joelinton as defensive midfielder…

Gordon on the right…

Trippier or Livramento left back…

We should be signing players for positions and not trying to shoehorn players around to make up for ingestion in the wrong positions.

11 hours ago, duo said:

Sometimes he just tries too hard - looking for the Hollywood pass. His brilliance when he first joined was that he kept it simple. 

He seemed quite isolated at times yesterday. Couple of times he received the ball and there was nobody in black and white within 20 yards. Not a problem in itself, but risky when teams have targeted him for quick closing down. I like the fluidity Tonali’s roaming play brings, but I think they’re still learning to balance each other. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny