Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Exactly.  If Bruno was sold under Ashley I’d have been pissing blood.  If Bruno is sold under the current ownership, it’s because it is simply another stepping stone on the way to further growth.  No player is unsellable at any club.

If PSG bid, he’s off - they wouldn’t bid without putting feelers out first on a transfer of this size. 

Not sure if PSG is where he'll end up, think he might end up in Spain, but aye if he goes, we've made sure we'll make enough out of the deal to fund a top class replacement.

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Exactly.  If Bruno was sold under Ashley I’d have been pissing blood.  If Bruno is sold under the current ownership, it’s because it is simply another stepping stone on the way to further growth.  No player is unsellable at any club.

If PSG bid, he’s off - they wouldn’t bid without putting feelers out first on a transfer of this size. 

If he’d be happy at PSG then he’s not the bloke I thought he was. I get the release clause and I also get the fact we aren’t mature enough as a bona fide elite team to fend off those type of requests from players and/or their agents.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Not sure if PSG is where he'll end up, think he might end up in Spain, but aye if he goes, we've made sure we'll make enough out of the deal to fund a top class replacement.

100%.  It might even lead to a change in tactics etc - I’m sure Howe & co have plans for all scenarios.

Just now, Novocastrian said:

If he’d be happy at PSG then he’s not the bloke I thought he was. I get the release clause and I also get the fact we aren’t mature enough as a bona fide elite team to fend off those type of requests from players and/or their agents.

I don’t think we should get upset or think less of him if it happens - it’s a very short career, and he’s not getting any younger.  NUFC aren’t getting CL football next season, and the drop-off in form makes us especially vulnerable.  I know the support views it as a ‘project’, but ageing footballers will likely take a different view. 

22 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Release clause would mean no choice, and FFP would mean that we know we need to.  There is a reason we’re targeting players of the profile we are - high resale value.  I said a while back that what is being talked about is Ashley’s plan, only on steroids and with a genuine goal for impermanent.  I’m ok with that. 

We have to sell a big player at some point. Ashworth said himself that we have to sell. 

Just now, nufc123 said:

We have to sell a big player at some point. Ashworth said himself that we have to sell. 

Yeah, this is it like.  If NUFC are to become what we’re hoping, it never seemed likely that the first batch of signings would be there for the long haul.

I totally understand why people would get anxious about this happening, but we’ve experienced this before - the sale of Andy Cole.  This isn’t a ‘selling club’ anymore in the sense that it’s about profit for profit’s sake.

Also, he’s still here last I checked - this could all be bollocks :) 

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It doesn’t, though.  The entire transfer fee would land in this financial year for FFP purposes.  The transfer contract isn’t hidden form the PL or UEFA.  There isn’t a way to hide intent. 

I believe in the power of creative accountancy and financial corruption more than I believe in the ability of the number crunchers at the PL/UEFA. Soz.

34 minutes ago, OverThere said:

So we are the Mackems on the next level up. How depressing.

Whey no.  If he went, the money would be ploughed back in.  Also, the club wouldn’t have a choice. 

Look at it from Bruno’s perspective - even we get back into the top four next season, Bruno would turn 29 during the group stage.  And that’s if we make it.

Plus a move to PSG would see him likely get a massive pay ramp and a signing on fee.

He’s also not a boyhood fan or owt.  None of us would’ve thought for a second that he was wrong to leave Lyon for us. 

29 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Whey no.  If he went, the money would be ploughed back in.  Also, the club wouldn’t have a choice. 

Look at it from Bruno’s perspective - even we get back into the top four next season, Bruno would turn 29 during the group stage.  And that’s if we make it.

Plus a move to PSG would see him likely get a massive pay ramp and a signing on fee.

He’s also not a boyhood fan or owt.  None of us would’ve thought for a second that he was wrong to leave Lyon for us. 

This is the part I wonder about. Not the ploughing in of the money, no doubts about that. It's how do you go about replacing the gigantic hole in the squad? Bruno brings character, quality and personality, he makes the entire team tick really. He's a massive influence on Joelinton and others.

How do you go about replacing this level of quality and class? You're talking 2-3 times what we paid for him in the first place probably (always assuming a player like this exists and can be persuaded to join us) and even then, no guarantees the new lad will bring what Bruno has brought to us. 

I want to fire FFP into the fucking sun.

7 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

This is the part I wonder about. Not the ploughing in of the money, no doubts about that. It's how do you go about replacing the gigantic hole in the squad? Bruno brings character, quality and personality, he makes the entire team tick really. He's a massive influence on Joelinton and others.

How do you go about replacing this level of quality and class? You're talking 2-3 times what we paid for him in the first place probably (always assuming a player like this exists and can be persuaded to join us) and even then, no guarantees the new lad will bring what Bruno has brought to us. 

Don’t think we would look to directly replace him, more 2/3 signings in to have a better team overall.

I'm struggling to see why he'd leave us for PSG, especially when they could be losing Mbappe. PSG aren't the side they were in previous years and they'll definitely not be winning the Champions League any time soon. As a south American he will surely want to angle towards Barca or Madrid if its abroad, but if he was to stay in England it'd be somewhere like City where he'd win plenty of trophies. Its fairly obvious where Newcastle are aiming to be in the coming years and I'm sure that's been sold to him, so I find it hard to believe he'd leave for the likes of PSG but I guess we'll soon find out.

Edited by Decky

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

We don’t have a great record with de Jongs. 

Lol def midfield this lad though and an upgrade on miggy probably 120 million worth of players. 

1 hour ago, LionOfGosforth said:

This is what it all comes down to at the end of the day. If FFP was scrapped today we'd not need to sell to buy. If it had been scrapped last summer we'd already be in the top 4 this season and through to the next round of the CL cup. Bruno wouldn't even dream of leaving and we'd tell PSG to do one.

I am not going to lie - I am not totally against him being sold if we get north of £100 mil as it will give us the cash injection we so desperately need.  Just look at Villa.