Dan Burn

Rich

2 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Was it that many fans? Either way that’s shocking, people have short memories. 

I don't think so. Some love to blow things out of proportion at times. Every chance Dan Burn heard nothing negative when he was on the pitch, but you know, poor him and all that :lol:

He'll no doubt have a class game against Forest next week.

4 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I don't think so. Some love to blow things out of proportion at times. Every chance Dan Burn heard nothing negative when he was on the pitch, but you know, poor him and all that :lol:

He'll no doubt have a class game against Forest next week.

I’ve no doubt he’ll come back again but he’s not the option moving forwards. Left back needs sorting in the summer if Hall isn’t ready or deemed the replacement 

3 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I’ve no doubt he’ll come back again but he’s not the option moving forwards. Left back needs sorting in the summer if Hall isn’t ready or deemed the replacement 

100% agree, but there's nowt we can do about it if Howe refuses to pick Tino or Hall over him.

12 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

100% agree, but there's nowt we can do about it if Howe refuses to pick Tino or Hall over him.

Agree, Howe needs to get this aspect of the team nailed down. I think Trippier may well still go in the summer so then you’re looking at Tino going to RB. Tha Hall situation is intriguing if slightly frustrating. Interesting to see what happens there 

£35m for a development player at 18 looks like it’s gone wrong in all honesty. We’ll see in due course but that’s what the fee is for Hall right? We’ve just got Alfie for less than £5m. I think our LB for next season is very much up in the air. Don’t think it’ll be Targett, Burn will still get games there but who starts is very unclear 

I get people wanting to stick up for Dan after alot of the good he has done in his time here. But I think some of the frustration is mainly for Eddie but not knowing how to channel that criticism by not wanting to be overly negative and if anyone was booing it's probably more to send a message to Eddie that he's getting this wrong. 

Just to look at this another way, Hall has been hooked on multiple occasions and then never trusted again for performances far less painful than some of Dan Burn's this season, like yesterday and Forest. Despite the potential upside of letting him settle in and grow into the team. 

Then you have Tino, again another young player and who isn't left sided but has proven time and again to be a fantastic 1v1 defender and also very capable attacking option. He's by no means the finished article yet and I'm sure some will jump on him if he came in now and makes any errors too as a defence for Burn, but younger players have alot more ceiling to grow and improve than a 33 year old CB. Burn is what he is and has his advantages, but many disadvantages.

1 hour ago, Dan Gleebals said:

I have convinced myself that before the last few games, but was proved wrong each time. 

I didnt drop Tino from FPL before this weeks game lol. Some part of that was forgetfullness sure. But was also certain that he was just resting Tino the first few games.

Edited by Displayname

59 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I didn’t hear it in the standing section but lots of people have commented on it 

People shouting and singing for Tino whilst Burn was still on the pitch was the thing that pissed me off. Give your heads a shake ffs!

Just now, Scoot said:

People shouting and singing for Tino whilst Burn was still on the pitch was the thing that pissed me off. Give your heads a shake ffs!

Sure, it’s not going to be a great feeling for Burn and I’d never ever want to see anyone booing but I don’t think people chanting for Tino while he has his number up is a bad thing really. It’s a way of fans making a statement without it being too negative. It’s a fine line

Just now, gbandit said:

Sure, it’s not going to be a great feeling for Burn and I’d never ever want to see anyone booing but I don’t think people chanting for Tino while he has his number up is a bad thing really. It’s a way of fans making a statement without it being too negative. It’s a fine line

It started before his number went up. 100%.

He was still warming up.

I dont think Burn is getting a lot of hate. For me the biggest problem isnt even him playing, its leaving Tino on the bench.

Burn is a grown man an a professional football player, he should be able to cope with the fans wanting to see our young and exciting talent.

Its not like people would be chanting for Targett if he was on the bench.

Edited by Displayname

Again not saying it's right, but there have rumblings amongst fans ever since Tino lost his place back to Burn and confusion of why Eddie has decided to bring Burn straight back in. 

Couple that with the fact yesterday was looking like a carbon copy of the Forest game and one of the few times we can't use fatigue and injuries as an excuse and I can understand that it was starting to boil over into vocal murmurings or chants for Tino.

It's natural human behaviour and I think first time fans are just trying to air their thoughts to Eddie. Because I imagine everyone in the stadium must have wondered why we didn't make that change at halftime and it still took til 4:2 for him to change it. 

I wasn't there btw, before anyone thinks I was booing 🤣

24 minutes ago, Scoot said:

its happened before, and not just for tino, used to happen for maxi and others.

just been a while as we've had fuck all on the bench to call for.

fans way of expressing frustration. we were 2-4 own at home to luton.

not defending it but it happens,

sure BDB will get over it.

booing was deffo wrong but didnt hear it myself.

Edited by huss9

52 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Don't see anything really wrong with chanting for Tino. Not ideal, but yesterday's match wasn't ideal. Booing Burn is over the line but calling for a difference maker to be brought on without specifically saying who he should be replacing is fine, unless the fans can't even make constructive criticisms.

I mean, I've often thought the Botman at the back, Isak in attack song is a bit shit when we've got Wilson or Lascelles playing - which has happened many many times - but there's no point in getting upset about it.

Personally, I was shocked - in a good way - he came on directly for Burn. I was imagining Howe would plonk him on the left wing in front of him for extra protection. It's why I've got hope Livramento will be starting against Forest.

Dan Burn does a job. He has limitations. Unfortunately those limitations are being targeted successfully. The Luton boss must have thought it was his birthday when he saw Howe had picked him for the return match and a huge confidence builder for their players when they saw him undone repeatedly.  For me it was Eddie to blame for how this one played out. 

It would be nice if it was as straightforward as - Burn is slow and Tino isnt so we would perform better overall with Tino starting. But it’s not, the back 3 we shift into when Trippier goes forward and the aerial capability is what Burn does better than Tino would right now. Ironically the biggest issue is not what Burn is or isn’t capable of it’s that the current midfield selection leaves us exposed especially against pace. Burn was a big part of the best defence in the league last season because we were covered by Joe and Willock. 

Edited by Nine

I like Burn and I don’t mind Howe’s loyalty to players as it’s got us where we are but eventually it becomes clear when someone isn’t ideal anymore. He’s always struggled against pace and it’s now so bad it’s costing us games. 

Burn will be ideal for backup to Botman and the lb position but it’s got to be Tino for the rest of the season now. 

Edited by St1pe

Ogbene is absolutely rapid by the way, I think he was clocked the fastest player in the Prem earlier this season?

It's quite rare that you get a right footed right winger these days who is just a pace merchant to get to the byline. Most wingers on that wing cur back in which would help Burn

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

If Eddie plays Burn against Forest a month after the same team rinsed him it's going to be very concerning

As much as I think Howe can be pretty stubborn at times, I would still be really surprised if Livramento isn't starting the next one.

Edited by Erikse

5 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Ogbene is absolutely rapid by the way, I think he was clocked the fastest player in the Prem earlier this season?

It's quite rare that you get a right footed right winger these days who is just a pace merchant to get to the byline. Most wingers on that wing cur back in which would help Burn

Yeah, people a seem to be forgetting that he was up against his worst nightmare yesterday :lol:

We know Burns limitations, but a lot of the criticism since yesterday has been emotional, reactionary stuff. No one has mentioned that he dealt well with Diaby a few days earlier.

8 minutes ago, Nine said:

Yeah, people a seem to be forgetting that he was up against his worst nightmare yesterday :lol:

We know Burns limitations, but a lot of the criticism since yesterday has been emotional, reactionary stuff. No one has mentioned that he dealt well with Diaby a few days earlier.

But he also had an absolute mare against Forest, in similar fashion to yesterday. It’s becoming harder to pick out his decent performances - the Villa one is fresh in the memory because it was recent, and remember he got mullered in the last quarter of that game. It was only Tino coming on that saved his blushes.

The more other teams see these things, the more they will focus on exploiting Dan Burn, and the bigger the problem becomes. And it won’t just be ‘run past him’, it will be ‘give him room to come forward then press, steal the ball and run into the space he left, and can’t get back into’. 

21 minutes ago, Nine said:

Then why was he picked to play against "his worst nightmare"? Personally I don't have a personal agenda against Burn, what I have a problem with is the decision to allways play him over Tino.

Edited by Erikse