Mason Greenwood

mouldy_uk

5 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

Can't see any club wanting him let alone signing him. As soon as the rumours start that club x will sign/loan him the rightful backlash will start and they'll have to pull out. 

He really thought he was untouchable didn't he the ****

That Sheffield player forget his name managed to return following all his issues, so yeah he'll get somewhere .

A private company putting out a statement with their own verdict of guilt (or not) sets a worrying precedent imo. Their 'verdict' should be irrelevant. Private courts already exist and are used by private companies in the U.S with legally binding verdicts (see the Steven Donziger case)

Anyway, the club couldn't appear more obviously profit motivated if they tried and that statement is about as backhanded as it gets. It's so obviously done in such a vague way to avoid litigation, protect assets and stock value, and be as PR friendly as possible.

They might have succeeded with the first two, if they're lucky they have with the stocks prices, but they've completely failed on the PR, the bit that obviously matters to them least.

55 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I genuinely don't understand how law works so not even going to try and figure it out. The CPS dropped charges because they said there wasn't a realistic chance of a conviction. I have no clue how that's a possibility with the pictures and audio unless there's an explanation for them. 

Because you need the ‘key witness’ (ie herself) to be able to appear in court if required to answer questions about the matter. Without her there a major element of doubt appears. As the loss of the ‘key witness’ is cited as a major reason why the case couldn’t proceed, it stands that without her to be able to give evidence, the prospect of conviction is diminished dramatically, even to the point of negligibility. He would not be tried, let alone convicted, on audio and pictures alone without her being able to provide evidence also (the audio and pictures ARE her evidence, in fact). That’s the only reason why this hasn’t gone to court- because she has withdrawn her original statement about wishing to make a complaint. 

What confuses me about this case is how it differs to what I remember from the Caroline Flack case. I know they're wildly different, but I remember that after she had been accused of hitting him with a lamp or whatever, didnt her boyfirned at the time not want to press charges? But due to the risk of power and manipulation over the other party, the police couldn't accept his request and were going to prosecute her anyway? I'm guessing there was solid evidence she hit him and maybe there's not the level of evidence for his controlling behaviour and the marks she had on her?

2 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

What confuses me about this case is how it differs to what I remember from the Caroline Flack case. I know they're wildly different, but I remember that after she had been accused of hitting him with a lamp or whatever, didnt her boyfirned at the time not want to press charges? But due to the risk of power and manipulation over the other party, the police couldn't accept his request and were going to prosecute her anyway? I'm guessing there was solid evidence she hit him and maybe there's not the level of evidence for his controlling behaviour and the marks she had on her?

She confessed to it in interview and under caution from what I recall? Greenwood has consistently denied it.

A truly horrific situation that has been handled incredibly poorly by Manchester United. 

They've failed Greenwood, they've failed his partner, and they've failed the players of Manchester United women. 

2 hours ago, SteV said:

Know they can’t justify keeping him, but won’t sack/release him. Pathetic.

They have made a mess of this from start to finish. However, they've gone down this route to avoid any potential legal case.

If they sacked him, he could pursue a legal case since he hasn't been convicted of anything and could argue "trial by media". He could not only try to sue for lost wages under the current contract, but maybe for loss of earnings in the future (damages due to club statements, treatment etc). 

If they let him play, they get a more severe backlash from fans, commercial partners and 'interested' charities.

This statement is positioned carefully, straight down the middle. It states he has not been convicted, that there was more evidence than what was in the public domain, and after considerable scrutiny, BOTH parties mutually agree is best to part ways.

They went way too far in saying he did not commit the offences he was accused of, IMO. They're not in a position to conclude this.

But there is now no chance that Manchester United will be liable for anything (i.e., Greenwood has no chance of a claim) -- and that would be their main concern.

It really wouldn't surprise me if he's been paid until the end of his current contract, or Manchester United have utilised some form of 'Early Termination clause'.

In this scenario, Greenwood looses nothing (unfortunately), he can move forward in his career, and Manchester United cut ties with the player.

Just hoping that all concerned parties (particularly the unborn child and the woman in question) remain safe.... 

Edited by BlazeT44

56 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

What a disgrace he is saying he was cleared of all charges. Wildly, wildly different to having a charges dropped. 

This is the bit I find extraordinary. It really doesn't sit right with me that they can play judge and jury. 

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

A private company putting out a statement with their own verdict of guilt (or not) sets a worrying precedent imo. Their 'verdict' should be irrelevant. Private courts already exist and are used by private companies in the U.S with legally binding verdicts (see the Steven Donziger case)

Anyway, the club couldn't appear more obviously profit motivated if they tried and that statement is about as backhanded as it gets. It's so obviously done in such a vague way to avoid litigation, protect assets and stock value, and be as PR friendly as possible.

They might have succeeded with the first two, if they're lucky they have with the stocks prices, but they've completely failed on the PR, the bit that obviously matters to them least.

Great post. Was trying to say similar but couldn't find the right words!

3 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Saying they've done their own investigation and he definitely didn't do it is proper hilarious like, God knows who thought that was a good idea.

Would be, if the topic wasn't so serious.

They've handled it so so poorly.

A statement purely to avoid potential litigation.

34 minutes ago, BlazeT44 said:

Just hoping that all concerned parties (particularly the unborn child and the woman in question) remain safe.... 

Absolutely.  I had that horrible thought that he gets to escape to Saudi, China or the like.  Few months down the line, her and the bairn are with him, he's struggling to acclimatise, she's in a country, alone, no friends, can't speak the language, baby not sleeping etc.... I pray I'm wrong but can only see something bad happening. 

1 hour ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Citizen's of the UK don't get to choose whether to "press charges" or not.

If the police suspect a crime has been committed they will investigate. 

If the CPS having seen the results of this investigation wish to prosecute they will do so. 

There's a certain overlap in a sense in that in this case she has said she won't be a witness for the prosecution. But this isn't the same thing as her not wanting to press charges anymore. Had the prosecution had sufficient evidence without her they would have done so. 

5 minutes ago, ScottishMagpie said:

Absolutely.  I had that horrible thought that he gets to escape to Saudi, China or the like.  Few months down the line, her and the bairn are with him, he's struggling to acclimatise, she's in a country, alone, no friends, can't speak the language, baby not sleeping etc.... I pray I'm wrong but can only see something bad happening. 

That's where my mind went. Maybe unfairly, who knows. Of course, we don't know the full circumstances and situation as it stands now 

I sincerely hope they all get the support and help they need. You'd like to think lessons have been learned by all.

Edited by BlazeT44

1 minute ago, Geogaddi said:

It’s obvious to anyone that heard them recordings what he is , anyone defending him that has listened to them, you need to be asking serious questions about .

Don't think anyone here is defending him mate?