Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

21 minutes ago, Nine said:

I think he’s actually a bit underrated going forward as you say obviously no Trippier but he has shown himself to be effective enough, very very solid defensively and as consistent as you like so far at PL level? I was expecting him to be £20-25m. 

He's pretty decent going forward, I just think once you start talking about £20m plus, you expect to see someone who can swing in really dangerous crosses from full back, and that's the only thing I haven't seen much of yet. But I'm not going to complain at £15m, not only is he a very accomplished defender, he also seems like the type of player you want in your team.

Just looked at how Digne vs. Targett looks for Premier League attacking outcomes.

Digne: 4 goals, 19 assist in 119 PL games.

Targett: 3 goals, 10 assists in 130 PL games.

I mean, I know it's not this simple, but for all that money the outcomes for Digne are not that much more than Targett. 

£15m is a bargain to me, really pleased we've proactively moved for him.

8 minutes ago, hakka said:

Just looked at how Digne vs. Targett looks for Premier League attacking outcomes.

Digne: 4 goals, 19 assist in 119 PL games.

Targett: 3 goals, 10 assists in 130 PL games.

I mean, I know it's not this simple, but for all that money the outcomes for Digne are not that much more than Targett. 

£15m is a bargain to me, really pleased we've proactively moved for him.

I wonder how their defending stats compare.

9 minutes ago, STM said:

I wonder how their defending stats compare.

I remember comparing Dummett & Targett before he joined. Think they have the same number of goals but Dummett hasn’t managed a single assist in the PL. I know he’s a defensive player but he’s still probably played about 70-80% of his career at left-back. For no crosses or passes from there to produce a goal in the amount of games he’s played is shocking. :lol:

Defending stats may just suggest one is more busy than the other and doesn't really factor in styles/setups etc. 

That said, based on what I've seen I'm very happy for him to be here and hope he stays. 

2 hours ago, TRon said:

not only is he a very accomplished defender, he also seems like the type of player you want in your team.

This is a big point for us at the moment, it defo feels like we are signing players depending on their personality as much as their ability. Howe seems to have an exact idea of the type of mentality he wants around the club.

49 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’d still test the water for Cucurella first, more attacking, better delivery.

Both got one assist. Targett even got a goal. Cucurella got outran by Murphy very easy.