Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

For all the clamour of us spending £93m I think him and Burn have had the most sustained impact. There's a lot to be said for having a good solid pro that gives you consistency and doesn't take needless risks. I'm also consistently impressed when he gets a chance to cross from open play.

He's not perfect (who is) but it would take a very good defender to take his place.

He never gives less than everything. He’s got that James Milner attitude of giving the best he possibly can every game even if he’s not the most gifted player technically. Really like him and I’m sure he’ll be here next season 

I’m glad he’s come good. I always felt he would be a good signing tbh, had no doubt he would be a huge upgrade on what we had. It’s not silly to say that without him on the left and instead continuing with Ritchie or Dummett, we would be looking at a very different situation 

Guest HTT II
On 10/04/2022 at 15:23, LFEE said:

One regular weakness I’ve noticed is when a winger turns inside he seems very flat footed with his positioning.

But recovers well still…

2 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Hope we make it permanent in next couple weeks. Would be daft not to. 

If the reports of a £15m option are true, it's a no-brainer. Sure, there might be technically better players on the market but he's slotted in so well it makes sense to do the deal and instead focus up front where we're going to need to integrate several new players.

Just now, Matt said:

If the reports of a £15m option are true, it's a no-brainer. Sure, there might be technically better players on the market but he's slotted in so well it makes sense to do the deal and instead focus up front where we're going to need to integrate several new players.

Clearly loves it, and is well liked & trusted by the rest of the players, too.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

£15m is buttons in this age as well. Sorts one position out straight away for the summer rebuild. 

Edited by Jordan

I think he's mint, might actually be my favourite of the January signings. He's just so understatedly good, you don't even notice because he does everything so well - nothing flash or sensational - the essentials are covered with ease and in turn it filters throughout the side. 

Plus, he just looks like a guy, which makes me like him even more. The most non-football-looking person, you'd easily believe him if he told you he was an accountant or worked in an office. So unassuming. 

He's no Lucas Digne (;)) but I still think we should sign him up immediately. 

Edited by number37

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

I had no idea before the transfer that he was this decent with the ball too. No-brainer to make it permanent, he'll be able to contribute for years even if we do go fighting for European places in near future.

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Has he made a single error since joining? Swear he 7/10. Also he barely gets much help from ASM. He’s insane 

He's not once gone below a 7 in my ratings like. Burn and Schar have hit higher heights, but neither have been as consistent as Targett.