Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

38 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

He's left Villa as soon as Digne came in so I wonder if he'd fancy signing permanently here if he's thinking he could be getting upgraded on within a year.

I've absolutely no doubt he'd love to sign here permanently, looks like he's loving it tbh, and I want to sign him as well. Just not for £20m+.

1 hour ago, Inferior Acuña said:

He's left Villa as soon as Digne came in so I wonder if he'd fancy signing permanently here if he's thinking he could be getting upgraded on within a year.

He said himself that that was his reason for leaving Villa, so if we do sign someone else, I'd have no issue with him choosing to find another first team spot elsewhere. Love the guy.

3 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

We supposedly hold a strong interest in lodl the Atletico left back, anyone know much about him ?

Hasn't quite nailed down a regular first team place at Atletico, but was highly rated before joining them.

Interestingly another left back we are supposedly considering is the Nigerian left back at Porto, Zaidu Sanusi.

Edited by KaKa

He'd be absolutely perfect as a transition signing. We're not going to challenge the top 6 for a couple of years but we need to seriously upgrade in loads of positions. He and Burn are perfect additions as we move from an annually-threatened relegation squad to a comfortable mid-table squad. 

Shift the obvious shite on and he'd be a massive upgrade talent wise in another key area for a relatively modest fee. Lewis and Clark have burnt their bridges here imo, Targett and Burn more than fill their spots. Hendrick out, Bruno in. Trippier in, Krafth out. Incremental improvements across the board but the first few improvements will be huge due to the shocking standard of some of the players he inherited. 

45 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

He's ideal, in a back 4 behind ASM.

This is exactly what I meant the other day on Targett.

For us, he was brilliant with Grealish in front of him, absolutely solid, players' player of the year etc. 

Without Grealish ahead of him and us playing in a way that doesn't suit him (or any of the players, judging by the last two matches) leaves him exposed.

I was surprised there was so much meh in the reaction to this signing, knowing what he's like as a player, and your set up, it made perfect sense. In fact, I think we were a bit stupid to engage in the deal.

3 minutes ago, brummie said:

For us, he was brilliant with Grealish in front of him, absolutely solid, players' player of the year etc. 

Without Grealish ahead of him and us playing in a way that doesn't suit him (or any of the players, judging by the last two matches) leaves him exposed.

I was surprised there was so much meh in the reaction to this signing, knowing what he's like as a player, and your set up, it made perfect sense. In fact, I think we were a bit stupid to engage in the deal.

Against West Ham, without Maxi he showed great intelligence going forward. I think this extra responsibility tired him more, leading to a couple of late sloppy passes, but he was a perfect foil for Murphy who lacked the Maxi attitude that he can take on anybody.

Great signing.

Edited by Happinesstan

7 minutes ago, brummie said:

Brighton selling Burn to us was also a big mistake. Albeit he might have demanded it since he’s from the NE. 

19 hours ago, TRon said:

I've absolutely no doubt he'd love to sign here permanently, looks like he's loving it tbh, and I want to sign him as well. Just not for £20m+.

I honestly wouldn’t care if we blew 20m + on him in the same way I didn’t that we blew 25m on Wood. If he’s a good player, improves us and is of good character, professionalism and wants to be here, who cares really. The good thing is, he’s a very good all-round LB, not great attacking wise, but more than decent enough to link up play, but defensively, what he adds to ASM’s game for example is the key component here. He frees him up basically as we saw against Everton.

13 minutes ago, Toon No9 said:

Do we have an option to buy Targett at the end of the loan deal?

I've been really impressed with him so far.

No option/agreed fee. Villa knew if we did well his value would shoot up in the Summer compared to anything they could agree in Jan. 

Just now, La Parka said:

He's incredible. 

Poor guy is getting snapped at every opportunity. 

I hope we snap him up in the summer!

MOTM for me, personally. Soldiered on after what looked to be a really really awful stamp on his ankle by Desilva, and then just kept the left flank totally watertight. Had a hand in the first goal too. Whoever said he wasn't all that going forward is going to have to eat his hat - he does what he needs to do and he is very disciplined.