Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

25 minutes ago, jack j said:

Wonder what our support would be like at a big final thesedays. Closest I've ever been was the semi at Cardiff as a 14 year old and it seemed class that day but think that was cos we new we'd get humped

Been to a number of our recent major finals, three FA Cup Finals (all lost) one League Cup Final (lost) and one European Fairs Cup Final (won), and our support was U N B E L I E V A B L E at all of them.

It would be exactly the same now, I'm sure of it!

44 minutes ago, Heron said:

Some of the other sympathise with the IRA... 

No issue with anyone understanding or sympathising with the initial reason it was founded tbh. Anything beyond that point or any condoning is when it's fucked up.

7 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

No issue with anyone understanding or sympathising with the initial reason it was founded tbh. Anything beyond that point or any condoning is when it's fucked up.

Absolutely. Unless you one of those people who only see "our" history through the lens of white, entitled Englishness you'd understand the oppressive nature of The English Empire. For that is what it was/is.

One thing I do like about Celtic's culture is their support for other oppressed people, like Palestinians for eg. 

Ex wife's dad's a massive Celtic fan tho and I once hoyed a Celtic LP he had on the old turntable. Fuck me,  some of those tunes were a tad near the knuckle. Put me right off. 

The flagshagging orangemen in the Rangers camp just as much. 

I remember, as a teenager, watching Billy Connolly in a BBC play about the Orange marches. Getting shite hoyed on them. 

( googled.... Just Another Saturday) 

Made an impression. 

Ps wanted Rangers to win btw

7 hours ago, manorpark said:

Been to a number of our recent major finals, three FA Cup Finals (all lost) one League Cup Final (lost) and one European Fairs Cup Final (won), and our support was U N B E L I E V A B L E at all of them.

It would be exactly the same now, I'm sure of it!

Home, away or both? You old bugger ???

Guest HTT II

I wanted Rangers to win it for my mate and because doing so would have been an incredible story, them just getting to the final is incredible enough!

55 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Home, away or both? You old bugger ???

Sadly, just the home game.

That season it was very much all I could afford, or to be more precise - all my Mam & Dad could afford!! At that time, though I was going to as many league matches as I could, I couldn't afford a Season Ticket either.

I got my first Season Ticket the following season, a 'standing one' in the West Stand Centre Paddock, and was instantly gently labelled as a . . . wait for it . . . "Glory Hunter" !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy days, oh and "Mr 1964", I have got my black & white hot water bottle, thankyou . . . 

Typical sneering attitude in here towards Rangers/Football fans I see. Despite their being minimal bother seemingly.

And we wonder why football fans are continually treat poorly here and absolutely disgracefully in Europe, particularly in Spain.

Let's hope, when we get to Europe we're not on the receiving end of harsh treatment where it's presumed that it's entirely down to us...

14 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Typical sneering attitude in here towards Rangers/Football fans I see. Despite their being minimal bother seemingly.

And we wonder why football fans are continually treat poorly here and absolutely disgracefully in Europe, particularly in Spain.

Let's hope, when we get to Europe we're not on the receiving end of harsh treatment where it's presumed that it's entirely down to us...

It's not like Rangers fans don't have previous...

It's all the louts from Belfast probably causing all the issues.

British, particularly English football fans abroad are stereotyped as hooligans for a reason like. It doesn't mean every case is the same or that it won't eventually be a baseless stereotype, but at the moment it's not unfortunately.

10 minutes ago, Froggy said:

It's not like Rangers fans don't have previous...

It's all the louts from Belfast probably causing all the issues.

It's not like fans of English clubs don't have previous but it's continually assumed football fans are out for bother. Minimal instances of Rangers fans causing trouble in Europe over the past two seasons from what I've seen.

Heard some horror stories last night. Spailnish police confiscating permissable items such as earpods and battery packs. No water being sold within the stadium and fans handed plastic cups and told to go to the toilets. All alright though because football fans are scum aren't they...

So almost every game that I've seen recently that's gone to extra time has remained scoreless and gone on to pens, with exceptions of course. It seems though you end up with a tired teams being very conservative and it's hardly a spectacle. Is it time to consider alternatives?

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

British, particularly English football fans abroad are stereotyped as hooligans for a reason like. It doesn't mean every case is the same or that it won't eventually be a baseless stereotype, but at the moment it's not unfortunately.

I think thats unfair. I don't think there's a particularly large hooligan element of any British club these days. It's seemingly more prominent on the continent. 

Loutish behaviour, yes. But that's different entirely. I'm assuming you prepare for and police loutish behaviour differently than organised violence.  Theyre all scum and should be treat as such attitude from both the police here and in Europe is unacceptable these days. It's perpetuated by classist sneering cunts back here, who wouldn't dream of going to a football game never mind travelling to see their team abroad.

6 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

So almost every game that I've seen recently that's gone to extra time has remained scoreless and gone on to pens, with exceptions of course. It seems though you end up with a tired teams being very conservative and it's hardly a spectacle. Is it time to consider alternatives?

Thought there was plenty of chances last night. If going for an alternative I'd prefer to try to make it more attractive to score rather than just going to penalties. Were golden goal or silver goal that bad?

28 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

10 minutes each way? Not sure if it will make much difference but like you say it's a bit shit at the moment

True Real did make most of their extra time. I don't have the answer really, I am not keen on going straight to pens, maybe reduced time makes sense. Just seems to be a pattern at the moment, especially with Egypt doing it ACON a lot. Football should have a think about it.

Introduce the pre-pens challenge where each team gets five free kicks from 25 yards with just the keeper to beat. If one team is on top there then they win and it doesn’t go to pens. If all even, pens 

I'm probably in the minority here, but I love penalty shootouts. Whenever a final is 0-0 around the 80+ minutes I tend to hope it remains a stalemate for the remainder of the match + extra time. 

If it's been a good match with some goals, say 1-1 or 2-2 it's a different matter though, then I don't mind a late decider.

34 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

True Real did make most of their extra time. I don't have the answer really, I am not keen on going straight to pens, maybe reduced time makes sense. Just seems to be a pattern at the moment, especially with Egypt doing it ACON a lot. Football should have a think about it.

Egypt are just awful to watch generally though